Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > X-Lite 3.0: one single SIP provider only?

X-Lite 3.0: one single SIP provider only?

Georg Schwarz

Can X-Lite 3.0, unlike the previous version, only support one single SIP
provider? One I configured an account the "Add" button is greyed out.
Is X-Lite intensionally crippled differentiate against CounterPath's
other software? Can version 2.0 still be downloaded?

--
Georg Schwarz http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) +49 151 11559652

msg

Georg Schwarz wrote:

> Can X-Lite 3.0, unlike the previous version, only support one single SIP
> provider?

Interesting; I see that I cannot add an account past the first one either.
The PDF users' guide discusses a mandatory X-lite service account, which
I never saw on any 3.0 install that I have done, and also a 'second'
account for an unrelated provider. All discussions refer to two accounts
which implies an upper limit. Without the mandatory account, it seems
that one account is the limit.

If you don't find V2.0 online, let me know off-usenet.

Michael

M.L.

>> Can X-Lite 3.0, unlike the previous version, only support one single
>> SIP provider?

> Interesting; I see that I cannot add an account past the first one
> either. The PDF users' guide discusses a mandatory X-lite service
> account, which I never saw on any 3.0 install that I have done, and
> also a 'second' account for an unrelated provider. All discussions
> refer to two accounts which implies an upper limit. Without the
> mandatory account, it seems that one account is the limit.
>
> If you don't find V2.0 online, let me know off-usenet.

X-Lite 3.0 only supports one SIP provider. You have to buy eyeBeam if
you want more than one.

Balwinder S Dheeman

On 03/10/2008 07:53 AM, M.L. wrote:
>>> Can X-Lite 3.0, unlike the previous version, only support one single
>>> SIP provider?

>> Interesting; I see that I cannot add an account past the first one
>> either. The PDF users' guide discusses a mandatory X-lite service
>> account, which I never saw on any 3.0 install that I have done, and
>> also a 'second' account for an unrelated provider. All discussions
>> refer to two accounts which implies an upper limit. Without the
>> mandatory account, it seems that one account is the limit.
>>
>> If you don't find V2.0 online, let me know off-usenet.

> X-Lite 3.0 only supports one SIP provider. You have to buy eyeBeam if
> you want more than one.

The YATE project, a Free/libre Open Source Software for telephoney
engine/softswitch has made available quite a good server and client;
particularly the Qt4 based client.

One may add and, or configure as many providers as one needs, provided
your machine is powerful enough to take care of the load.

Please do have a look at http://YATE.null.ro/, even the
http://yate.null.ro/pmwiki/index.php?n=Main.Yate2 version 2.0.0 though a
beta as yet, is also almost stable per my experience.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP

M.L.

>>> Interesting; I see that I cannot add an account past the first one
>>> either. The PDF users' guide discusses a mandatory X-lite service
>>> account, which I never saw on any 3.0 install that I have done, and
>>> also a 'second' account for an unrelated provider. All discussions
>>> refer to two accounts which implies an upper limit. Without the
>>> mandatory account, it seems that one account is the limit.
>>>
>>> If you don't find V2.0 online, let me know off-usenet.

>> X-Lite 3.0 only supports one SIP provider. You have to buy eyeBeam if
>> you want more than one.

> The YATE project, a Free/libre Open Source Software for telephoney
> engine/softswitch has made available quite a good server and client;
> particularly the Qt4 based client.
>
> One may add and, or configure as many providers as one needs, provided
> your machine is powerful enough to take care of the load.
>
> Please do have a look at http://YATE.null.ro/, even the
> http://yate.null.ro/pmwiki/index.php?n=Main.Yate2 version 2.0.0
> though a beta as yet, is also almost stable per my experience.

The interface looks ghastly.

Balwinder S Dheeman

On 03/11/2008 01:34 AM, M.L. wrote:

>>> X-Lite 3.0 only supports one SIP provider. You have to buy eyeBeam if
>>> you want more than one.

>> The YATE project, a Free/libre Open Source Software for telephoney
>> engine/softswitch has made available quite a good server and client;
>> particularly the Qt4 based client.
>>
>> One may add and, or configure as many providers as one needs, provided
>> your machine is powerful enough to take care of the load.
>>
>> Please do have a look at http://YATE.null.ro/, even the
>> http://yate.null.ro/pmwiki/index.php?n=Main.Yate2 version 2.0.0
>> though a beta as yet, is also almost stable per my experience.

> The interface looks ghastly.

Yes, it is, if that matters that much OTOH, the beauty of open source
software is these can be improved, please ask/talk to the developers as
to how you/one can contribute.

The other options are: KPhone, SJPhone, Gizmo-Project and, or even
X-Lite 3.0 running on the same machine but connected to YATE server;
YATE if configured properly can/will take care of all the routing problems.

On 03/09/2008 03:02 AM, Georg Schwarz wrote:
> Can X-Lite 3.0, unlike the previous version, only support one single SIP
> provider? One I configured an account the "Add" button is greyed out.
> Is X-Lite intensionally crippled differentiate against CounterPath's
> other software? Can version 2.0 still be downloaded?

Please don't encourage, promote and, or use closed/propriety X-Lite etc;
try, recommend and, or contribute the Free/Libre and Open Source
Software instead.

In yate client one can simultaneously login arbitrary number of
providers, make and receive H.323, IAX and SIP calls directly to other
people running such clients around or accessible to one's network.

I have learned some cases where people are using the yate server and
clients in heavily loaded production environments, e.g. call centers and
geographically scattered enterprise offices.

OTOH, I have managed to fix some problems in the yate-gtk2 and am making
available the alpha release of binary packages for Debian and, or Ubuntu
variants. All you need to do is, add the following line to your apt
config file /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://cto.homelinux.net/pub/debian/ testing main

and then execute:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install yate-gtk2

and, or

# apt-get install yate-qt4

Hope that helps!
Cheers!
Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP

Koos van den Hout

Balwinder S Dheeman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> In yate client one can simultaneously login arbitrary number of
> providers, make and receive H.323, IAX and SIP calls directly to other
> people running such clients around or accessible to one's network.

I tried the yate-gtk2 version from debian stable and got somewhat hard
to understand reasons why I couldn't call SIP urls directly:

<client/1:MILD> Call rejected error='noroute' reason='No route to call
target' [0x81a2c68]

And on a call via a SIP provider I got absolutely no audio. And could not
find a way to configure audio.

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 via keyservers
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5

Balwinder S Dheeman

On 03/30/2008 08:53 PM, Koos van den Hout wrote:
> Balwinder S Dheeman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> In yate client one can simultaneously login arbitrary number of
>> providers, make and receive H.323, IAX and SIP calls directly to other
>> people running such clients around or accessible to one's network.

> I tried the yate-gtk2 version from debian stable and got somewhat hard
> to understand reasons why I couldn't call SIP urls directly:
>
> <client/1:MILD> Call rejected error='noroute' reason='No route to call
> target' [0x81a2c68]

You need to choose either a provider to which you are registered or
protocol from drop-down lists. The later one to make direct calls and we
need not add sip://, iax:// and, or other h323 protocol prefixes, just
(E-Mail Removed) is sufficient.

> And on a call via a SIP provider I got absolutely no audio. And could not
> find a way to configure audio.

Try choosing one of OSS and, or ALSA module for Yate-gt2 and newer
Yate-qt4, and see which one works better for your installation.
Although, my machines are running on latest Linux kernel version
2.6.24.4 with ALSA modules (OSS is considered obsolete these days), but
the emulated OSS layer of ALSA works better in many a other applications
including yate-clients.

As for as configuration is concerned you may tweak around setting in the
/etc/yate/yate-gtk2.conf or /etc/yate/yate-qt4.conf files
respectively. All you need to do enable or disable loading of
appropriate module in the [modules] section:

-------- 8< --------
[modules]
; Enable only one of these, as per your operating system
alsachan.yate=false
;osschan.yate=false

; We need not enable the following, when in client mode
extmodule.yate=false
mysqldb.yate=false
pgsqldb.yate=false

; Use following for debugging and, or tessting
callgen.yate=false
rmanager.yate=false

FYI, I don't maintain the official yate packages, but anyone may freely
download latest yate package from my personal repositories: