Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > versions of XP, which to use

versions of XP, which to use

les

Hello...
I just bought a used IBM 2,8 Ghz dual processor from a local surpluser
and he said I could install 2000 as my OS, but it choked with the blue
screen, saying it wasn't capable of handling a 2 processor system.
I was surprised. (2000 pro workstation) So I dug out a copy of XP
home version and installed that. But as I'm a neophyte to XP, I was stuck
about the key. The IBM had a label key for "XP Professional 1 - 2 CPU"
attached. And I have a "home version". So how many kinds of XP OS's
are there? Is there an "XP Professional 1 - 1CPU" as well?
If I have to buy another OS, and "home version" won't register, which
OS should I consider now?
Could I use my "home version" and use the key on the tower to register?
Or should I expect no tantrums from home version and it's key?

I heard all the horror stories about XP and registration that I don't know
what's true anymore !!!

Les

Baron

les wrote:

> Hello...
> I just bought a used IBM 2,8 Ghz dual processor from a local surpluser
> and he said I could install 2000 as my OS, but it choked with the blue
> screen, saying it wasn't capable of handling a 2 processor system.
> I was surprised. (2000 pro workstation) So I dug out a copy of XP
> home version and installed that. But as I'm a neophyte to XP, I was
> stuck about the key. The IBM had a label key for "XP Professional 1 -
> 2 CPU" attached. And I have a "home version". So how many kinds of XP
> OS's are there? Is there an "XP Professional 1 - 1CPU" as well?
> If I have to buy another OS, and "home version" won't register, which
> OS should I consider now?
> Could I use my "home version" and use the key on the tower to
> register? Or should I expect no tantrums from home version and it's
> key?
>
> I heard all the horror stories about XP and registration that I don't
> know what's true anymore !!!
>
> Les

If you have access to a XP-Pro CD use that and use the key from the
license certificate attached to the machine. M$ will register it just
fine.

A better Idea would be to put Linux on it...........

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Jeff Strickland

You MUST have Service Pack 2, or many applications will not load properly,
if they load at all.

I use both XP Home and XP Pro -- different machines, of course -- and I find
both of them to be rock solid. I had my share of problems before I finally
got my OS validated and then installed SP2. Validation is the functional
equivelent to buying the OS, if your copy of XP is one of the many copies of
the early release, it can not be validated, and SP2 will not be available to
you until you buy a copy of the OS from MSoft or other source. If your copy
is an authorized release, it can be validated and then the service pack will
download, and you will be good after that.

MSoft will not let many different apps install unless SP2 is loaded. I
bought an authentic copy of XP Home from the local computer surplus store
for $130, and it came with the authentication key and SP2.

"les" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello...
> I just bought a used IBM 2,8 Ghz dual processor from a local surpluser
> and he said I could install 2000 as my OS, but it choked with the blue
> screen, saying it wasn't capable of handling a 2 processor system.
> I was surprised. (2000 pro workstation) So I dug out a copy of XP
> home version and installed that. But as I'm a neophyte to XP, I was stuck
> about the key. The IBM had a label key for "XP Professional 1 - 2 CPU"
> attached. And I have a "home version". So how many kinds of XP OS's
> are there? Is there an "XP Professional 1 - 1CPU" as well?
> If I have to buy another OS, and "home version" won't register, which
> OS should I consider now?
> Could I use my "home version" and use the key on the tower to register?
> Or should I expect no tantrums from home version and it's key?
>
> I heard all the horror stories about XP and registration that I don't know
> what's true anymore !!!
>
> Les

Baron

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> You MUST have Service Pack 2, or many applications will not load
> properly, if they load at all.
>
> I use both XP Home and XP Pro -- different machines, of course -- and
> I find both of them to be rock solid. I had my share of problems
> before I finally got my OS validated and then installed SP2.
> Validation is the functional equivelent to buying the OS, if your copy
> of XP is one of the many copies of the early release, it can not be
> validated,

I have never had that experience. Every legitimate copy I have dealt
with has passed validation.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

les

Okay, so I bought a copy of XP Pro from a good friend who had it on
his laptop last year, and since the laptop has been trashed.
However, the disk is a valid one( from Gateway originally, as
was his laptop) and now the key keeps coming up as invalid when
I try to use the one from MS on the tower itself.
(And the surpluser is very legit and runs a large warehouse operation
in chicago)
So, what gives?
This makes no sense !!

Obviously there is some discord. And yes, I tried retyping the key 3
times....

Les

relic

les wrote:
> Okay, so I bought a copy of XP Pro from a good friend who had it on
> his laptop last year, and since the laptop has been trashed.
> However, the disk is a valid one( from Gateway originally, as
> was his laptop) and now the key keeps coming up as invalid when
> I try to use the one from MS on the tower itself.
> (And the surpluser is very legit and runs a large warehouse operation
> in chicago)
> So, what gives?
> This makes no sense !!
>
> Obviously there is some discord. And yes, I tried retyping the key 3
> times....

It's probably BIOS locked to a Gateway. If so, it won't work on a different
brand.

Jeff Strickland

"Baron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fquedo$j6f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>
>> You MUST have Service Pack 2, or many applications will not load
>> properly, if they load at all.
>>
>> I use both XP Home and XP Pro -- different machines, of course -- and
>> I find both of them to be rock solid. I had my share of problems
>> before I finally got my OS validated and then installed SP2.
>> Validation is the functional equivelent to buying the OS, if your copy
>> of XP is one of the many copies of the early release, it can not be
>> validated,

> I have never had that experience. Every legitimate copy I have dealt
> with has passed validation.

I have an illegitimate copy of XP Pro, and assume I am not the only one that
has it.

I agree, the legitimate copies will validate easily. I think the term is
ACTIVATE, but I don't think the distinction matters very much.

If one is burdened with an illegitimate copy, the activation/validatiion
process to obtain Service Pack 2 will lead you to the MSoft Website where
there will be an offer to download the OS immediately and a CD will follow
in the mail a few days later.

relic

les wrote:
> Hello...
> I just bought a used IBM 2,8 Ghz dual processor from a local surpluser
> and he said I could install 2000 as my OS, but it choked with the blue
> screen, saying it wasn't capable of handling a 2 processor system.
> I was surprised. (2000 pro workstation) So I dug out a copy of XP
> home version and installed that. But as I'm a neophyte to XP, I was
> stuck about the key. The IBM had a label key for "XP Professional 1 -
> 2 CPU" attached. And I have a "home version". So how many kinds of XP

XP Home doesn't support Dual Processors.

> OS's
> are there? Is there an "XP Professional 1 - 1CPU" as well?
> If I have to buy another OS, and "home version" won't register, which
> OS should I consider now?

XP Pro

> Could I use my "home version" and use the key on the tower to
> register? Or should I expect no tantrums from home version and it's
> key?

A "Home" Key won't work with XP Pro. You also must match OEM vs. Retail
version.

> I heard all the horror stories about XP and registration that I don't
> know what's true anymore !!!

(You mean Activation, not registration.) None of the horror stories are true
if you're installing a legit copy on your PC. (Not all OEM versions will
install on "any" machine.)

Jeff Strickland

You have to use the correct Product Key. Your friend should have copied the
key from his trashed machine so he could use the CD later in another
machine.

I use a Sharpie and write the code on the front of the CD so I always have
it available. The key is 5 sets of 5 digits, where the digits can be alpha
or numeric. The key is embedded in the code on the CD, and you have to type
in the same code when you install the OS (or application -- the same thing
exists in both instances). This is supposed to keep people from passing the
CD around to friends and loading the program onto multiple machines.

The product key is a 25-bit number, where each bit can be any of 36
different digits. That's alot of different keys. One block of 5 digits has
36 x 36 x 36 x 36 x 36 = 60,466,176 combinations, and there are five blocks.

"les" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, so I bought a copy of XP Pro from a good friend who had it on
> his laptop last year, and since the laptop has been trashed.
> However, the disk is a valid one( from Gateway originally, as
> was his laptop) and now the key keeps coming up as invalid when
> I try to use the one from MS on the tower itself.
> (And the surpluser is very legit and runs a large warehouse operation
> in chicago)
> So, what gives?
> This makes no sense !!
>
> Obviously there is some discord. And yes, I tried retyping the key 3
> times....
>
> Les

Jeff Strickland

"relic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47d2c61d$0$16645$(E-Mail Removed)...
> les wrote:
>> Okay, so I bought a copy of XP Pro from a good friend who had it on
>> his laptop last year, and since the laptop has been trashed.
>> However, the disk is a valid one( from Gateway originally, as
>> was his laptop) and now the key keeps coming up as invalid when
>> I try to use the one from MS on the tower itself.
>> (And the surpluser is very legit and runs a large warehouse operation
>> in chicago)
>> So, what gives?
>> This makes no sense !!
>>
>> Obviously there is some discord. And yes, I tried retyping the key 3
>> times....

> It's probably BIOS locked to a Gateway. If so, it won't work on a
> different brand.

He's gotta use the right key.