Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > versions of XP, which to use

versions of XP, which to use

les

This has stirred quite a lot of questions in me now whether buying a used
machine was worth the effort.
Obviously, I could have found an Emachine with an activated OS already
running for a couple hundred more than what I paid !!

Well, back to my next comment/question.
I bought this box specifically to do HD video editing, and had purchased a
Sony
app as well. I have other boxes for mundane operations, and for internet
connection. So realistically, this IBM needs no reason to see a network.
With that said, how will this effect me, if I don't get the activation issue
solved? After 30 days do I see a puff of smoke?

From the threads I see that OEM stuff can be problematic, and unless I
had an OEM disk from IBM, I could possibly be beating my head
anyway. A retail disk might be the ONLY answer, Pro version.
I'd consider dumping MS altogether except I just invested in a nice
Sony editor app for Winblows. This has created another angry
reaction in me about why I shouldn't migrate to Linux................
......my apologies to you all in this XP site.

Les

Jeff Strickland

"les" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This has stirred quite a lot of questions in me now whether buying a used
> machine was worth the effort.
> Obviously, I could have found an Emachine with an activated OS already
> running for a couple hundred more than what I paid !!
>
> Well, back to my next comment/question.
> I bought this box specifically to do HD video editing, and had purchased a
> Sony
> app as well. I have other boxes for mundane operations, and for internet
> connection. So realistically, this IBM needs no reason to see a network.
> With that said, how will this effect me, if I don't get the activation
> issue
> solved? After 30 days do I see a puff of smoke?

You need Service Pack 2. Period. The CD you have might already have SP2, but
you need a Product Code Key. Period.

You can buy an OS for $130 that has everything you need.

Baron

les wrote:

> This has stirred quite a lot of questions in me now whether buying a
> used machine was worth the effort.
> Obviously, I could have found an Emachine with an activated OS already
> running for a couple hundred more than what I paid !!
>
> Well, back to my next comment/question.
> I bought this box specifically to do HD video editing, and had
> purchased a Sony
> app as well. I have other boxes for mundane operations, and for
> internet connection. So realistically, this IBM needs no reason to see
> a network. With that said, how will this effect me, if I don't get the
> activation issue solved? After 30 days do I see a puff of smoke?
>
> From the threads I see that OEM stuff can be problematic, and unless I
> had an OEM disk from IBM, I could possibly be beating my head
> anyway. A retail disk might be the ONLY answer, Pro version.
> I'd consider dumping MS altogether except I just invested in a nice
> Sony editor app for Winblows. This has created another angry
> reaction in me about why I shouldn't migrate to Linux................
> .....my apologies to you all in this XP site.
>
> Les

If the IBM machine you have obtained, has attached to it a COA showing
XP-Pro with the key number printed on it, then you need an XP-Pro oem
or retail CD. I'm sure that you must know someone that has one. Or
visit your local mom & pop shop. For a small fee they will probably
install it for you. Then the first thing you do is to back it up.

By the way this group is alt.computer not alt.xp.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

philo

"les" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello...
> I just bought a used IBM 2,8 Ghz dual processor from a local surpluser
> and he said I could install 2000 as my OS, but it choked with the blue
> screen, saying it wasn't capable of handling a 2 processor system.
> I was surprised. (2000 pro workstation) So I dug out a copy of XP
> home version and installed that. But as I'm a neophyte to XP, I was stuck
> about the key. The IBM had a label key for "XP Professional 1 - 2 CPU"
> attached. And I have a "home version". So how many kinds of XP OS's
> are there? Is there an "XP Professional 1 - 1CPU" as well?
> If I have to buy another OS, and "home version" won't register, which
> OS should I consider now?
> Could I use my "home version" and use the key on the tower to register?
> Or should I expect no tantrums from home version and it's key?
>
> I heard all the horror stories about XP and registration that I don't know
> what's true anymore !!!
>
> Les

That's odd...
I often install win2k on old servers I get with two cpu's

never had a problem

Anyway, if you want to use both CPU's you will need XP pro
as XP home will only recognize one CPU.

However if you don't really need two CPU's might as well just stick with XP
home.

Though you'd need XP pro if you'd need to use your machine on a domain
or to install Microsoft's virtual machine...XP Home is otherwise pretty much
the same OS

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, philo
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus

>"les" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello...
>> I just bought a used IBM 2,8 Ghz dual processor from a local surpluser
>> and he said I could install 2000 as my OS, but it choked with the blue
>> screen, saying it wasn't capable of handling a 2 processor system.
>> I was surprised. (2000 pro workstation) So I dug out a copy of XP
>> home version and installed that. But as I'm a neophyte to XP, I was stuck
>> about the key. The IBM had a label key for "XP Professional 1 - 2 CPU"
>> attached. And I have a "home version". So how many kinds of XP OS's
>> are there? Is there an "XP Professional 1 - 1CPU" as well?
>> If I have to buy another OS, and "home version" won't register, which
>> OS should I consider now?
>> Could I use my "home version" and use the key on the tower to register?
>> Or should I expect no tantrums from home version and it's key?
>>
>> I heard all the horror stories about XP and registration that I don't know
>> what's true anymore !!!
>>
>> Les
>>

>That's odd...
>I often install win2k on old servers I get with two cpu's
>
>never had a problem
>
>Anyway, if you want to use both CPU's you will need XP pro
>as XP home will only recognize one CPU.
>
>However if you don't really need two CPU's might as well just stick with XP
>home.
>
>Though you'd need XP pro if you'd need to use your machine on a domain
>or to install Microsoft's virtual machine...XP Home is otherwise pretty much
>the same OS

Isn't WIN 2k the same as XP with all the crap turned off;?..
--
Tony Sayer

relic

tony sayer wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, philo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>>
>> "les" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello...
>>> I just bought a used IBM 2,8 Ghz dual processor from a local
>>> surpluser and he said I could install 2000 as my OS, but it choked
>>> with the blue screen, saying it wasn't capable of handling a 2
>>> processor system.
>>> I was surprised. (2000 pro workstation) So I dug out a copy of XP
>>> home version and installed that. But as I'm a neophyte to XP, I was
>>> stuck about the key. The IBM had a label key for "XP Professional 1
>>> - 2 CPU" attached. And I have a "home version". So how many kinds
>>> of XP OS's
>>> are there? Is there an "XP Professional 1 - 1CPU" as well?
>>> If I have to buy another OS, and "home version" won't register,
>>> which
>>> OS should I consider now?
>>> Could I use my "home version" and use the key on the tower to
>>> register? Or should I expect no tantrums from home version and it's
>>> key?
>>>
>>> I heard all the horror stories about XP and registration that I
>>> don't know what's true anymore !!!
>>>
>>> Les
>>>

>> That's odd...
>> I often install win2k on old servers I get with two cpu's
>>
>> never had a problem
>>
>> Anyway, if you want to use both CPU's you will need XP pro
>> as XP home will only recognize one CPU.
>>
>> However if you don't really need two CPU's might as well just stick
>> with XP home.
>>
>> Though you'd need XP pro if you'd need to use your machine on a
>> domain
>> or to install Microsoft's virtual machine...XP Home is otherwise
>> pretty much the same OS
>>

> Isn't WIN 2k the same as XP with all the crap turned off;?..

XP is built on W2K (which was built on NT), but it isn't "the same."