Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird broken? Will uninstall/reinstall leave folders?

Thunderbird broken? Will uninstall/reinstall leave folders?

kaplan3jiim@example.com

Thunderbird locks up when I open it and try to download mail. Doesn't
seem to be a server problem because it gets as far as "downloading x
of x messages". No problem accessing mail from the web browser.

If I uninstall and then reinstall the program, without moving the
folders to a safe place will they be deleted?

Is there any repair utility in this program - can't find one if there
is? I suppose the problem is more likely a folder problem than an
executable file problem.

Jim

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

> Thunderbird locks up when I open it and try to download mail. Doesn't
> seem to be a server problem because it gets as far as "downloading x
> of x messages". No problem accessing mail from the web browser.
>
> If I uninstall and then reinstall the program, without moving the
> folders to a safe place will they be deleted?
>
> Is there any repair utility in this program - can't find one if there
> is? I suppose the problem is more likely a folder problem than an
> executable file problem.
>
> Jim

all your preferences, settings, mail, passwords, etc, are
stored in an area called the TB profile. This profile is
separete from the program. When you uninstall, all you're
doing is removing the program, and the profile is NOT touched.

As for your problem, don't uninstall. 95% of the time, that
doesn't accomplish anything, except wasted time.

Since you didn't mention what operating system you're on,
all I can assume it windows, so the following instructions
is for windows. If you're not using windows, then you will
have to find out how to do it using your OS.

Close TB. Then click on the windows start button, then run
and enter:

thunderbird.exe -safe-mode

this will start TB in safe mode. Does the problem continue?

Also, you didn't mention if this is an IMAP account or a
POP3 one. If IMAP, then that might be the problem.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

sticks

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Thunderbird locks up when I open it and try to download mail. Doesn't
> seem to be a server problem because it gets as far as "downloading x
> of x messages". No problem accessing mail from the web browser.

Have you made sure you don't have one large email downloading?

kaplan3jiim@example.com

No it wasn't that. The problem did clear up later in the day.

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 13:27:35 -0500, sticks <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Thunderbird locks up when I open it and try to download mail. Doesn't
>> seem to be a server problem because it gets as far as "downloading x
>> of x messages". No problem accessing mail from the web browser.

>Have you made sure you don't have one large email downloading?

kaplan3jiim@example.com

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:35:08 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Thunderbird locks up when I open it and try to download mail. Doesn't
>> seem to be a server problem because it gets as far as "downloading x
>> of x messages". No problem accessing mail from the web browser.
>>
>> If I uninstall and then reinstall the program, without moving the
>> folders to a safe place will they be deleted?
>>
>> Is there any repair utility in this program - can't find one if there
>> is? I suppose the problem is more likely a folder problem than an
>> executable file problem.
>>
>> Jim

>all your preferences, settings, mail, passwords, etc, are
>stored in an area called the TB profile. This profile is
>separete from the program. When you uninstall, all you're
>doing is removing the program, and the profile is NOT touched.
>
>As for your problem, don't uninstall. 95% of the time, that
>doesn't accomplish anything, except wasted time.
>
>Since you didn't mention what operating system you're on,
>all I can assume it windows, so the following instructions
>is for windows. If you're not using windows, then you will
>have to find out how to do it using your OS.
>
>Close TB. Then click on the windows start button, then run
>and enter:
>
>thunderbird.exe -safe-mode
>
>this will start TB in safe mode. Does the problem continue?
>
>Also, you didn't mention if this is an IMAP account or a
>POP3 one. If IMAP, then that might be the problem.

It's a POP server, Comcast. The problem did clear up later in the day
has not recurred, so I didn't uninstall. Perhaps the probem was
Comcast's, although there was no problem with browser access to the
mail.

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:35:08 -0800, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Thunderbird locks up when I open it and try to download mail. Doesn't
>>> seem to be a server problem because it gets as far as "downloading x
>>> of x messages". No problem accessing mail from the web browser.
>>>
>>> If I uninstall and then reinstall the program, without moving the
>>> folders to a safe place will they be deleted?
>>>
>>> Is there any repair utility in this program - can't find one if there
>>> is? I suppose the problem is more likely a folder problem than an
>>> executable file problem.
>>>
>>> Jim

>> all your preferences, settings, mail, passwords, etc, are
>> stored in an area called the TB profile. This profile is
>> separete from the program. When you uninstall, all you're
>> doing is removing the program, and the profile is NOT touched.
>>
>> As for your problem, don't uninstall. 95% of the time, that
>> doesn't accomplish anything, except wasted time.
>>
>> Since you didn't mention what operating system you're on,
>> all I can assume it windows, so the following instructions
>> is for windows. If you're not using windows, then you will
>> have to find out how to do it using your OS.
>>
>> Close TB. Then click on the windows start button, then run
>> and enter:
>>
>> thunderbird.exe -safe-mode
>>
>> this will start TB in safe mode. Does the problem continue?
>>
>> Also, you didn't mention if this is an IMAP account or a
>> POP3 one. If IMAP, then that might be the problem.

> It's a POP server, Comcast. The problem did clear up later in the day
> has not recurred, so I didn't uninstall. Perhaps the probem was
> Comcast's, although there was no problem with browser access to the
> mail.

accessing the mail with TB and accessing it from the web
with your browser are two different things. As you said, it
could have been a glitch with the comcasts pop server.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm