Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > No Internet With Microsoft Broadband Wireless Networking

No Internet With Microsoft Broadband Wireless Networking

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZiBL?=

I have a Microsoft MN510 wireless card with MN500 base station. Whether I use
the network wizard or do so manually, I cannot connect to the Internet with
either my laptop or second desktop.

It indicates that I am connected to the network but NOT to the Internet.

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

Jeff --

I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
problem.

Bob

"Jeff K" wrote:

> I have a Microsoft MN510 wireless card with MN500 base station. Whether I use
> the network wizard or do so manually, I cannot connect to the Internet with
> either my laptop or second desktop.
>
> It indicates that I am connected to the network but NOT to the Internet.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?

"Bob" wrote:

> Jeff --
>
> I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
> with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
> if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
> forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
> it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
> problem.
>
> Bob
>
> "Jeff K" wrote:
>
> > I have a Microsoft MN510 wireless card with MN500 base station. Whether I use
> > the network wizard or do so manually, I cannot connect to the Internet with
> > either my laptop or second desktop.
> >
> > It indicates that I am connected to the network but NOT to the Internet.

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

The live chat tech suggested that I remove it at the router end -- and that
is what I did. On the client end the card detected the router as
"non-secure" which is, of course, appropriate.

Bob

"Jeff" wrote:

> Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>

> > Jeff --
> >
> > I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
> > with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
> > if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
> > forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
> > it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
> > problem.
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > "Jeff K" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Microsoft MN510 wireless card with MN500 base station. Whether I use
> > > the network wizard or do so manually, I cannot connect to the Internet with
> > > either my laptop or second desktop.
> > >
> > > It indicates that I am connected to the network but NOT to the Internet.

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

I've been reading postings in this and other places and what we're
experiencing seems to be a relatively common problem (assuming that we're
experiencing the same problem!!). The disheartening thing is that there
doesn't seem to be an easy solution. I have another thread going in a
non-Microsoft forum that suggests that the problem MAY be the way I'm
implementing WEP. I'll get back to you if that bears fruit.

Bob

"Jeff" wrote:

> Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>

> > Jeff --
> >
> > I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
> > with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
> > if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
> > forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
> > it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
> > problem.
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > "Jeff K" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a Microsoft MN510 wireless card with MN500 base station. Whether I use
> > > the network wizard or do so manually, I cannot connect to the Internet with
> > > either my laptop or second desktop.
> > >
> > > It indicates that I am connected to the network but NOT to the Internet.

=?Utf-8?B?Qm9i?=

Jeff --

MAYBE I have an answer to at least my problem -- I'm not sure about yours.
In setting up wireless security, I misread/misunderstood how I was supposed
to generate a key. I was typing in a passphrase and generating a series of
hex keys. Then when I configured the card I was entering the passphrase
rather than one of the hex values. I reread the documentation and I can see
how I interpreted it in the manner in which I did.

Bob

"Bob" wrote:

> The live chat tech suggested that I remove it at the router end -- and that
> is what I did. On the client end the card detected the router as
> "non-secure" which is, of course, appropriate.
>
> Bob
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>
> > Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >

> > > Jeff --
> > >
> > > I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
> > > with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
> > > if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
> > > forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
> > > it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Bob

=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZg==?=

Bob,
With your routers manufacturer the "key" process is different. With MS
hardware, the process is automatic. Unless I read documentation wrong, it
appears that it must be a secure connection. Without entering the key, you
can't move forward in the process.

Don't forget, I have Microsoft hardware, which may account for the difference.

"Bob" wrote:

> I've been reading postings in this and other places and what we're
> experiencing seems to be a relatively common problem (assuming that we're
> experiencing the same problem!!). The disheartening thing is that there
> doesn't seem to be an easy solution. I have another thread going in a
> non-Microsoft forum that suggests that the problem MAY be the way I'm
> implementing WEP. I'll get back to you if that bears fruit.
>
> Bob
>

> "Jeff" wrote:
>
> > Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >

> > > Jeff --
> > >
> > > I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services calls
> > > with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally figured out that
> > > if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would connect. I came into this
> > > forum to see if I can find out why this is the case, and what to do about
> > > it. In any case, my problem -- any perhaps yours -- was an encryption
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Bob

Quaoar

Bob wrote:
> I've been reading postings in this and other places and what we're
> experiencing seems to be a relatively common problem (assuming that
> we're experiencing the same problem!!). The disheartening thing is
> that there doesn't seem to be an easy solution. I have another thread
> going in a non-Microsoft forum that suggests that the problem MAY be
> the way I'm implementing WEP. I'll get back to you if that bears
> fruit.
>
> Bob
>

> "Jeff" wrote:
>
>> Do I remove the encryption on the router, or on the "client" side?
>>
>> "Bob" wrote:
>>

>>> Jeff --
>>>
>>> I just spent 9 hours on various "live chats" and technical services
>>> calls with Linksys with what MAY be the same problem. We finally
>>> figured out that if I remove ALL encryption, the thing would
>>> connect. I came into this forum to see if I can find out why this
>>> is the case, and what to do about it. In any case, my problem --
>>> any perhaps yours -- was an encryption problem.
>>>
>>> Bob

Bob, check one thing: in TCP/IP properties, Advanced button, Options
tab, TCP/IP filtering, check that ports/protocols are set to Permit All,
not Permit None. I've run into this with a couple Linksys wireless -b
systems that could not connect.