Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 3750 to Nortel Baystack 470-48T

Cisco 3750 to Nortel Baystack 470-48T

xianli@xianli.net

Hi all:

We tried to connect a Cisco 3750 fiber module gi1/0/1 to a Nortel
Baystack 470-48T fiber module, but it seems they can't recognize each
other. The fiber we used is a sc-lc.

We also tried:

-Connect the Cisco 3750 fiber module to a Nortel Baystack 450-24T
fiber module, it works fine.

-Connect two Nortel Baystack 470-48T fiber modules together, it works
fine.

And the Cisco 3750 is a brand new one, it won't be its prblem. We
can't use other switches in stead of the Nortel Baystack 470-48T, this
is very important to us. Anyone has a idea?

Regards

Doug McIntyre

>Hi all:

>We tried to connect a Cisco 3750 fiber module gi1/0/1 to a Nortel
>Baystack 470-48T fiber module, but it seems they can't recognize each
>other. The fiber we used is a sc-lc.

>We also tried:

>-Connect the Cisco 3750 fiber module to a Nortel Baystack 450-24T
>fiber module, it works fine.

>-Connect two Nortel Baystack 470-48T fiber modules together, it works
>fine.

>And the Cisco 3750 is a brand new one, it won't be its prblem. We
>can't use other switches in stead of the Nortel Baystack 470-48T, this
>is very important to us. Anyone has a idea?

Wow, Nortel still makes stuff? I thought they faded away long ago..

Going to their site, finding these switches, "Port 47 and Port 48 can
be configured as either 10/100BASE-TX or make use of the built-in GBIC".

That to me says right away that you will get only 100-Base-FX with the GBIC
out of this switch. You can't mix-and-match 1000-Base-SX and 100-Base-FX on
any vendor, only copper ports are auto-sensing, auto-speed.

So this is an incompatible setup, one side is talking only Gigabit, the
other is talking 100Mbit and they'll never talk to each other.

Cisco does now make a 100-Base-FX SFP for their switch line. Not very
common, but it does exist. You can try downgrading the Gigabit on your
3750 to 100-Base-FX to talk to this switch, but obivously you won't
get gig speeds. Or upgrade the switch on the otherside to be gigabit
so it can do 1000-Base-SX (which I'm assuming is what you have in the 3750).

xianli@xianli.net

On Mar 9, 4:32 am, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> >Hi all:
> >We tried to connect a Cisco 3750 fiber module gi1/0/1 to a Nortel
> >Baystack 470-48T fiber module, but it seems they can't recognize each
> >other. The fiber we used is a sc-lc.
> >We also tried:
> >-Connect the Cisco 3750 fiber module to a Nortel Baystack 450-24T
> >fiber module, it works fine.
> >-Connect two Nortel Baystack 470-48T fiber modules together, it works
> >fine.
> >And the Cisco 3750 is a brand new one, it won't be its prblem. We
> >can't use other switches in stead of the Nortel Baystack 470-48T, this
> >is very important to us. Anyone has a idea?

> Wow, Nortel still makes stuff? I thought they faded away long ago..
>
> Going to their site, finding these switches, "Port 47 and Port 48 can
> be configured as either 10/100BASE-TX or make use of the built-in GBIC".
>
> That to me says right away that you will get only 100-Base-FX with the GBIC
> out of this switch. You can't mix-and-match 1000-Base-SX and 100-Base-FX on
> any vendor, only copper ports are auto-sensing, auto-speed.
>
> So this is an incompatible setup, one side is talking only Gigabit, the
> other is talking 100Mbit and they'll never talk to each other.
>
> Cisco does now make a 100-Base-FX SFP for their switch line. Not very
> common, but it does exist. You can try downgrading the Gigabit on your
> 3750 to 100-Base-FX to talk to this switch, but obivously you won't
> get gig speeds. Or upgrade the switch on the otherside to be gigabit
> so it can do 1000-Base-SX (which I'm assuming is what you have in the 3750).

Thank you for your reply, Doug. Your information is really really
helpful to me.

Regards

xianli@xianli.net

On Mar 9, 4:32 am, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> >Hi all:
> >We tried to connect a Cisco 3750 fiber module gi1/0/1 to a Nortel
> >Baystack 470-48T fiber module, but it seems they can't recognize each
> >other. The fiber we used is a sc-lc.
> >We also tried:
> >-Connect the Cisco 3750 fiber module to a Nortel Baystack 450-24T
> >fiber module, it works fine.
> >-Connect two Nortel Baystack 470-48T fiber modules together, it works
> >fine.
> >And the Cisco 3750 is a brand new one, it won't be its prblem. We
> >can't use other switches in stead of the Nortel Baystack 470-48T, this
> >is very important to us. Anyone has a idea?

> Wow, Nortel still makes stuff? I thought they faded away long ago..
>
> Going to their site, finding these switches, "Port 47 and Port 48 can
> be configured as either 10/100BASE-TX or make use of the built-in GBIC".
>
> That to me says right away that you will get only 100-Base-FX with the GBIC
> out of this switch. You can't mix-and-match 1000-Base-SX and 100-Base-FX on
> any vendor, only copper ports are auto-sensing, auto-speed.
>
> So this is an incompatible setup, one side is talking only Gigabit, the
> other is talking 100Mbit and they'll never talk to each other.
>
> Cisco does now make a 100-Base-FX SFP for their switch line. Not very
> common, but it does exist. You can try downgrading the Gigabit on your
> 3750 to 100-Base-FX to talk to this switch, but obivously you won't
> get gig speeds. Or upgrade the switch on the otherside to be gigabit
> so it can do 1000-Base-SX (which I'm assuming is what you have in the 3750).

I have a look at the Nortel web site, it said:

"Nortel Ethernet Switch 470 models are stackable switches providing
resiliency, convergence readiness, and security and include two built-
in GBIC (Gigabit Interface Converter) uplink ports"

"The Ethernet Switch 470-48T allows configuration flexibility: Port 47
and Port 48 can be configured as either 10/100BASE-TX or make use of
the built-in GBIC. "

I think that means I can use port 47 and 48 as Gigabit ports by using
the GBIC. I tried it, if I use the GBIC port 47 and 48, the copper
port of 47 and 48 will be disable. And I did go to the Nortel Baystack
470-48T port config to see its port speed, it is 1000M.

Regards

xpresslearn.com

This is common on several mid-range switches, either use the last two
copper gigabit ports or the two built in SFP ports.

Now to your problem,

This most likely is some type of negotiation issue. On the 3750,
configure the interface that connects to the Bay switch with the command:

switchport trunk nonegotiate

Make sure all your other port trunk settings match:

switchport trunk encap dot1q
switchport mode trunk

Scott
http://www.xpresslearn.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mar 9, 4:32 am, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>>> Hi all:
>>> We tried to connect a Cisco 3750 fiber module gi1/0/1 to a Nortel
>>> Baystack 470-48T fiber module, but it seems they can't recognize each
>>> other. The fiber we used is a sc-lc.
>>> We also tried:
>>> -Connect the Cisco 3750 fiber module to a Nortel Baystack 450-24T
>>> fiber module, it works fine.
>>> -Connect two Nortel Baystack 470-48T fiber modules together, it works
>>> fine.
>>> And the Cisco 3750 is a brand new one, it won't be its prblem. We
>>> can't use other switches in stead of the Nortel Baystack 470-48T, this
>>> is very important to us. Anyone has a idea?

>> Wow, Nortel still makes stuff? I thought they faded away long ago..
>>
>> Going to their site, finding these switches, "Port 47 and Port 48 can
>> be configured as either 10/100BASE-TX or make use of the built-in GBIC".
>>
>> That to me says right away that you will get only 100-Base-FX with the GBIC
>> out of this switch. You can't mix-and-match 1000-Base-SX and 100-Base-FX on
>> any vendor, only copper ports are auto-sensing, auto-speed.
>>
>> So this is an incompatible setup, one side is talking only Gigabit, the
>> other is talking 100Mbit and they'll never talk to each other.
>>
>> Cisco does now make a 100-Base-FX SFP for their switch line. Not very
>> common, but it does exist. You can try downgrading the Gigabit on your
>> 3750 to 100-Base-FX to talk to this switch, but obivously you won't
>> get gig speeds. Or upgrade the switch on the otherside to be gigabit
>> so it can do 1000-Base-SX (which I'm assuming is what you have in the 3750).

> I have a look at the Nortel web site, it said:
>
> "Nortel Ethernet Switch 470 models are stackable switches providing
> resiliency, convergence readiness, and security and include two built-
> in GBIC (Gigabit Interface Converter) uplink ports"
>
> "The Ethernet Switch 470-48T allows configuration flexibility: Port 47
> and Port 48 can be configured as either 10/100BASE-TX or make use of
> the built-in GBIC. "
>
> I think that means I can use port 47 and 48 as Gigabit ports by using
> the GBIC. I tried it, if I use the GBIC port 47 and 48, the copper
> port of 47 and 48 will be disable. And I did go to the Nortel Baystack
> 470-48T port config to see its port speed, it is 1000M.
>
> Regards

xianli@xianli.net

On Mar 10, 11:21 am, "xpresslearn.com" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> This is common on several mid-range switches, either use the last two
> copper gigabit ports or the two built in SFP ports.
>
> Now to your problem,
>
> This most likely is some type of negotiation issue. On the 3750,
> configure the interface that connects to the Bay switch with the command:
>
> switchport trunk nonegotiate
>
> Make sure all your other port trunk settings match:
>
> switchport trunk encap dot1q
> switchport mode trunk
>
> Scotthttp://www.xpresslearn.com
>
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> Wow, Nortel still makes stuff? I thought they faded away long ago..

> >> Going to their site, finding these switches, "Port 47 and Port 48 can
> >> be configured as either 10/100BASE-TX or make use of the built-in GBIC".

> >> That to me says right away that you will get only 100-Base-FX with the GBIC
> >> out of this switch. You can't mix-and-match 1000-Base-SX and 100-Base-FX on
> >> any vendor, only copper ports are auto-sensing, auto-speed.

> >> So this is an incompatible setup, one side is talking only Gigabit, the
> >> other is talking 100Mbit and they'll never talk to each other.

> >> Cisco does now make a 100-Base-FX SFP for their switch line. Not very
> >> common, but it does exist. You can try downgrading the Gigabit on your
> >> 3750 to 100-Base-FX to talk to this switch, but obivously you won't
> >> get gig speeds. Or upgrade the switch on the otherside to be gigabit
> >> so it can do 1000-Base-SX (which I'm assuming is what you have in the 3750).

> > I have a look at the Nortel web site, it said:

> > "Nortel Ethernet Switch 470 models are stackable switches providing
> > resiliency, convergence readiness, and security and include two built-
> > in GBIC (Gigabit Interface Converter) uplink ports"

> > "The Ethernet Switch 470-48T allows configuration flexibility: Port 47
> > and Port 48 can be configured as either 10/100BASE-TX or make use of
> > the built-in GBIC. "

> > I think that means I can use port 47 and 48 as Gigabit ports by using
> > the GBIC. I tried it, if I use the GBIC port 47 and 48, the copper
> > port of 47 and 48 will be disable. And I did go to the Nortel Baystack
> > 470-48T port config to see its port speed, it is 1000M.

> > Regards

We have fixed the problem and you are right, it is the negotiation
problem. Thank you anyway

Regards