Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Storing/Retrieving Files In Database

Storing/Retrieving Files In Database

Cindy

Hi. I'm using SQL Server 2005. I'd like to know if anyone has any
reference on how to allow users to upload a file **onto a database**.
In other words, a user can have several related files belonging to
him. Also, I would need a syntax that allowed me to retrieve those
files.

I'm sure this is possible. Aside from that information, can anyone
suggest whether this is the proper method? I know I can simply store
the paths, but starting to juggle various directories is not really my
cup of tea; if there is only one directory to store all the files,
some of them might have the same name, thus creating a conflict. That
is something I do not need to worry about if everything is stored in a
table image field.

In any case, thank you in advance for your help.

Cindy

Alexey Smirnov

On Mar 8, 5:31*am, Cindy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi. *I'm using SQL Server 2005. *I'd like to know if anyone has any
> reference on how to allow users to upload a file **onto a database**.
> In other words, a user can have several related files belonging to
> him. *Also, I would need a syntax that allowed me to retrieve those
> files.
>
> I'm sure this is possible. *Aside from that information, can anyone
> suggest whether this is the proper method? *I know I can simply store
> the paths, but starting to juggle various directories is not really my
> cup of tea; if there is only one directory to store all the files,
> some of them might have the same name, thus creating a conflict. *That
> is something I do not need to worry about if everything is stored in a
> table image field.
>
> In any case, thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Cindy

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+into+database

Cindy

On Mar 8, 9:20*am, Alexey Smirnov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 5:31*am, Cindy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Hi. *I'm using SQL Server 2005. *I'd like to know if anyone has any
> > reference on how to allow users to upload a file **onto a database**.
> > In other words, a user can have several related files belonging to
> > him. *Also, I would need a syntax that allowed me to retrieve those
> > files.

> > I'm sure this is possible. *Aside from that information, can anyone
> > suggest whether this is the proper method? *I know I can simply store
> > the paths, but starting to juggle various directories is not really my
> > cup of tea; if there is only one directory to store all the files,
> > some of them might have the same name, thus creating a conflict. *That
> > is something I do not need to worry about if everything is stored in a
> > table image field.

> > In any case, thank you in advance for your help.

> > Cindy

> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...into+database- Hide quoted text -

Priviet Alexey --

I am capable of searching Google; however, there are a couple of
questions you left unanswered. Namely, is this the proper way of
going about these things? Will the database bloat if there is too
much information in it? Any considerations or suggestions would be
helpful.

Thanks.

Cindy

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

If you are asking whether file data should be stored in a database, that's
really up to you. Many people store the files on the filesystem and only have
a database entry that points to the file location. Regarding "bloat" that
should not be an issue as long as the table(s) are properly indexed.

-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

"Cindy" wrote:

> On Mar 8, 9:20 am, Alexey Smirnov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Mar 8, 5:31 am, Cindy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi. I'm using SQL Server 2005. I'd like to know if anyone has any
> > > reference on how to allow users to upload a file **onto a database**.
> > > In other words, a user can have several related files belonging to
> > > him. Also, I would need a syntax that allowed me to retrieve those
> > > files.

> > > I'm sure this is possible. Aside from that information, can anyone
> > > suggest whether this is the proper method? I know I can simply store
> > > the paths, but starting to juggle various directories is not really my
> > > cup of tea; if there is only one directory to store all the files,
> > > some of them might have the same name, thus creating a conflict. That
> > > is something I do not need to worry about if everything is stored in a
> > > table image field.

> > > In any case, thank you in advance for your help.

> > > Cindy

> > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...into+database- Hide quoted text -

> Priviet Alexey --
>
> I am capable of searching Google; however, there are a couple of
> questions you left unanswered. Namely, is this the proper way of
> going about these things? Will the database bloat if there is too
> much information in it? Any considerations or suggestions would be
> helpful.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cindy

Alexey Smirnov

On Mar 8, 8:51*pm, Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> If you are asking whether file data should be stored in a database, that's
> really up to you. Many people store the files on the filesystem and only have
> a database entry that points to the file location. Regarding "bloat" that
> should not be an issue as long as the table(s) are properly indexed.
>
> -- Peter
> Site:http://www.eggheadcafe.com
> UnBlog:http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
> Short Urls & more:http://ittyurl.net
>

> "Cindy" wrote:

> > >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+database-Hide quoted text -

> > Priviet Alexey --

> > I am capable of searching Google; however, there are a couple of
> > questions you left unanswered. *Namely, is this the proper way of
> > going about these things? *Will the database bloat if there is too
> > much information in it? *Any considerations or suggestions would be
> > helpful.

> > Thanks.

> > Cindy- Hide quoted text -

I agree with Peter.

Sharepoint / WSS stores the files in SQL Server (can this be an answer
to the question about proper way? I'm also working at the moment
on a similar application that keeps files saved in the database. I
decided to do this because of easy backup, synchronization and role-
based security.