Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Booting up DOS

Booting up DOS

Martin R. Howell

My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the laptop boot-up
in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it to run in a pure DOS
environment?

--
Martin R. Howell
Moderated sci.astro.amateur

HEMI-Powered

Martin R. Howell added these comments in the current discussion
du jour ...

> My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the
> laptop boot-up in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it
> to run in a pure DOS environment?

Definitely, IF and only if you have some bootable removeable media
like a floppy or CD that has DOS on it. XP does not have DOS at
all, only a DOS window that emulates it.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley!" - from the movie
"Airplane!"

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Martin R. Howell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the laptop boot-up
>in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it to run in a pure DOS
>environment?

You will need to either dual boot, boot up with a Floppy, CD, or USB
pen drive or such.

The Win98 boot disk is good for this, I have a USB pen drive that I
boot into dos with. I like the Win98 boot disk cause it will install
most CD's

You can get your boot disk at http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Search for SP27213.exe it's an HP utility that will format and allow a
USB pen drive to boot up (if you have that need).
--

"Stands out" may be a bit of an understatement...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasr...79878/sizes/o/

philo

"Martin R. Howell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zhsx7ifbbu99.gi9gj3phs6pq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the laptop

boot-up
> in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it to run in a pure DOS
> environment?

You cannot access your XP drive in dos mode unless it's on a fat32
partition,
then you could use a win9x boot disk...
but chances are you have XP on an NTFS partition...which is not accessable
in dos unless you use a 3rd party NTFS driver

chuckcar

"Martin R. Howell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:zhsx7ifbbu99.gi9gj3phs6pq$(E-Mail Removed):

> My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the laptop
> boot-up in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it to run in a pure
> DOS environment?

First D.O.S. does *not* mean the same thing as a non-gui operating
system. D.O.S. stands for disk operating system and means *any* (usually
from microsoft, although IBM could be said to be grouped with it) that
allows a computer to be able to execute files, copy files and various
"overall" tasks. That all being said I'll assume you mean an OS like
those from microsoft before windows 95. There are various around.
Freedos comes to mind, if you look in the right plaes you can probably
find Dr. DOS or if you also run linux you can use dosemu (which freedos
is used with). You would have to (in the microsoft versions) manually
create a dos boot disk or create a partition to boot and use a boot
manager (such as LILO - recommended). You would then generally create an
autoexec.bat and config.sys file and would have to have a dos driver for
your mouse if you were going to use it and a sound card that is
soundblaster compatible. The same goes for your CDROM drive.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Martin R. Howell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:zhsx7ifbbu99.gi9gj3phs6pq$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the laptop

>boot-up
>> in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it to run in a pure DOS
>> environment?

>You cannot access your XP drive in dos mode unless it's on a fat32
>partition,
>then you could use a win9x boot disk...
>but chances are you have XP on an NTFS partition...which is not accessable
>in dos unless you use a 3rd party NTFS driver

Darn forgot about that little issue

The OP will also need NTFS4DOS
http://www.freewarefiles.com/NTFSDOS...ram_11100.html

--

"Stands out" may be a bit of an understatement...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thomasr...79878/sizes/o/

Desk Rabbit

HEMI-Powered wrote:
> Martin R. Howell added these comments in the current discussion
> du jour ...
>
>> My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the
>> laptop boot-up in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it
>> to run in a pure DOS environment?
>>

> Definitely, IF and only if you have some bootable removeable media
> like a floppy or CD that has DOS on it. XP does not have DOS at
> all, only a DOS window that emulates it.

It's not a DOS window, it XP's command line.

HEMI-Powered

Desk Rabbit added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

>>> My laptop is running Windows XP. Is it possible to make the
>>> laptop boot-up in DOS or to somehow workaround XP and get it
>>> to run in a pure DOS environment?
>>>

>> Definitely, IF and only if you have some bootable removeable
>> media like a floppy or CD that has DOS on it. XP does not
>> have DOS at all, only a DOS window that emulates it.
>>

> It's not a DOS window, it XP's command line.

wahtever, it's in a window and it looks like DOS, so please forgive
the technical inaccuracy. but, what else about what I said is so
offensive?

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley!" - from the movie
"Airplane!"

chuckcar

"HEMI-Powered" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Desk Rabbit added these comments in the current discussion du
> jour ...

>>> Definitely, IF and only if you have some bootable removeable
>>> media like a floppy or CD that has DOS on it. XP does not
>>> have DOS at all, only a DOS window that emulates it.
>>>

>> It's not a DOS window, it XP's command line.
>>

> wahtever, it's in a window and it looks like DOS, so please forgive
> the technical inaccuracy. but, what else about what I said is so
> offensive?

No, it doesn't *look* like DOS. That term is meaningless. DOS doesn't
*look* like anything. It's a series of programs that allow a computer to
run programs off of a hard drive, CD or floppy period. Gui's have
nothing to do with it, command lines interfaces have nothing to do with
it. XP *is* a DOS. If you aren't qualified to answer the OP, don't post
period.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

HEMI-Powered

chuckcar added these comments in the current discussion du jour

>>> It's not a DOS window, it XP's command line.
>>>

>> wahtever, it's in a window and it looks like DOS, so please
>> forgive the technical inaccuracy. but, what else about what I
>> said is so offensive?

> No, it doesn't *look* like DOS. That term is meaningless. DOS
> doesn't *look* like anything. It's a series of programs that
> allow a computer to run programs off of a hard drive, CD or
> floppy period. Gui's have nothing to do with it, command lines
> interfaces have nothing to do with it. XP *is* a DOS. If you
> aren't qualified to answer the OP, don't post period.

the only thing that is meaningless is attacks on my for trying to
help the OP. I've been running DOS since 1.0 and what I "see" in
whatever you choose to call how XP presents it sure as hell looks
like an old-fashioned DOS command line and it executes exactly
the same way, albeit with long file name extensions, a few other
niceties, and a whole lot of restrictions. perhaps you should
read my sig, then get a life outside of picking fly **** off the
back of gnats with nonsense like "XP *is* a DOS. No kidding?!
More correctly, since you like accuracy and precision - those are
two different things - XP like all modern GUI thingies is an O/S,
Operating System, it is FAR more than just a "Disk Operating
System" or have you forgotten about small things like ...