Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > PCs loose Connection.

PCs loose Connection.

PVR

I have three PCs on a home network. The oldest PC is a WinXP/2 tower. The
next one is a WinXP/2 Laptop and the third is a Vista Laptop.

The home network uses a wireless router for the two laptops; The tower is
connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.

If start a laptop I can access the Internet normally. Same is true for the
tower. If I start the tower AFTER the two laptops it seems to seize the
automatically assigned addresses of the laptops so disconnecting them from
Internet access. If I start the tower FIRST then the two laptops are
automatically assigned addresses and I have internet connections for all
three PCs at the same time.

Is there any way to get around this problem? I have thought of buying a
wireless card for the tower but I don't know if this would work,
particularly if the problem is one of configuration.

Please help,

Peter.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Check the Router's DHCP setting, make sure that it can provide at least
three IP addresses.
If the Router allows IP reservation use it and the same IP would always be
assigned to the same computer.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"PVR" <peterv666@.adelphia.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have three PCs on a home network. The oldest PC is a WinXP/2 tower. The
>next one is a WinXP/2 Laptop and the third is a Vista Laptop.
>
> The home network uses a wireless router for the two laptops; The tower is
> connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.
>
> If start a laptop I can access the Internet normally. Same is true for the
> tower. If I start the tower AFTER the two laptops it seems to seize the
> automatically assigned addresses of the laptops so disconnecting them from
> Internet access. If I start the tower FIRST then the two laptops are
> automatically assigned addresses and I have internet connections for all
> three PCs at the same time.
>
> Is there any way to get around this problem? I have thought of buying a
> wireless card for the tower but I don't know if this would work,
> particularly if the problem is one of configuration.
>
> Please help,
>
> Peter.

PVR

Hi Jack.

Many thanks. I now have access to the 'Net from three PCs simultaneously
without one of them killing the 'Net connection of the others.

Peter.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...