Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Daylight saving come up soon

Daylight saving come up soon

Arne Vajhj

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 18:43:02 -0500, "Jeff Higgins"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
> said :
>>> It does not seem to work. I think the problem is MS has only one time
>>> server, and it is too busy.

>> Change the server?

> I don't think you can. It is built-in to Vista.

net time /set /yes

should be able to set the time from a time server (not necessarily
Windows based) on the network.

Arne

Peter Duniho

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 15:50:01 -0800, Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> It does not seem to work. I think the problem is MS has only one time
>>> server, and it is too busy.

>> Change the server?

> I don't think you can. It is built-in to Vista.

Granted, I haven't used Vista on a regular basis. But looking at, for
example, this page --
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...sync-problems/
-- it appears to me that the Vista Internet Time UI is exactly the same as
it was in XP.

You can type the name of whatever server you want into the control.

A good thing for people to remember: "just because you hate Windows, that
doesn't mean you have a clue about how it works".

Pete

Jeff Higgins

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 18:43:02 -0500, "Jeff Higgins"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
> said :
>
>>> It does not seem to work. I think the problem is MS has only one time
>>> server, and it is too busy.

>>Change the server?

> I don't think you can. It is built-in to Vista.

Sure you can;
<http://preview.tinyurl.com/33gdvk>
keeping in mind;
<http://preview.tinyurl.com/33fpso>

Roedy Green

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 19:27:22 -0500, "Jeff Higgins"
said :

>> I don't think you can. It is built-in to Vista.

>Sure you can;
><http://preview.tinyurl.com/33gdvk>
>keeping in mind;
><http://preview.tinyurl.com/33fpso>

thanks. I have added those links to
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/vista.html
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Roedy Green

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 19:08:18 -0500, Arne Vajhj <(E-Mail Removed)>

>I can not see any point in this utility.
>
>Windows changes DST automatically and has done so for
>many years.

But it doesn't work reliably. Try setclock and you will see.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

Roedy Green

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:04:12 GMT, Roedy Green
someone who said :

>>Windows changes DST automatically and has done so for
>>many years.

>But it doesn't work reliably. Try setclock and you will see.

IF you have the timezone configured, it does the DST flip if you have
the latest updates installed. On some Windows it is a manual update
to deal with the change in rules.

However, I could never get the auto NTS update to work with the MS
time server. I will try it with another. My time would drift many
seconds off.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com

Martin Gregorie

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:04:12 GMT, Roedy Green
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
> someone who said :
>
>>> Windows changes DST automatically and has done so for
>>> many years.

>> But it doesn't work reliably. Try setclock and you will see.

> IF you have the timezone configured, it does the DST flip if you have
> the latest updates installed. On some Windows it is a manual update
> to deal with the change in rules.
>
> However, I could never get the auto NTS update to work with the MS
> time server. I will try it with another. My time would drift many
> seconds off.

There are advantages to being free from the Dark Side. I've run ntp for
years on my Linux systems, My internet time sources are the European and
Pacific timeserver pools and, a historic hang-over from my dial-up days
and RedHat 6.2, I have a home built receiver for the Rugby MSF time
signal configured as a tier 2 source.

Jonathon Buzzard designed the hardware and wrote a shared-memory ntpd
interface for it. The hardware cost GBP 30 ($US 60) and took barely a
couple of hours to assemble and test. Its powered from the serial port.
See http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/radioclock.html for details.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.java.programmer message <rb22t3hh8skch17as5jn922ae19a79e159
@4ax.com>, Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:59:22, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)
om.invalid> posted:
>For North Americans daylight saving starts Sunday March 9.
>
>On daylight saving switch days, don’t set your computer clock forward
>an hour! Instead, make sure your machine is configured to the correct
>time zone, and reset your clock from an atomic time source. It will
>automatically jump at 2 AM.

Some North Americans do not have Summer Time.

NRC thinks that Newfoundland changes at 00:01 clock time (which IMHO
gives a risk of advancing the date, in Autumn, twice).

I believe that Mexico is in North America, and uses different dates.
I believe that Greenland is in North America, and uses different dates.

<http://www.worldtimezone.com/daylight.htm>.

Caveat : I think they are inaccurate about Europe, in that there are
non-EU non-Russian parts of Europe which follow the Russian times.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.

Karl

"Martin Gregorie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Roedy Green wrote:
>> On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 09:04:12 GMT, Roedy Green
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted

>>> But it doesn't work reliably. Try setclock and you will see.

>> IF you have the timezone configured, it does the DST flip if you have
>> the latest updates installed. On some Windows it is a manual update
>> to deal with the change in rules.
>>
>> However, I could never get the auto NTS update to work with the MS
>> time server. I will try it with another. My time would drift many
>> seconds off.

> There are advantages to being free from the Dark Side. I've run ntp for
> years on my Linux systems, My internet time sources are the European and
> Pacific timeserver pools and, a historic hang-over from my dial-up days
> and RedHat 6.2, I have a home built receiver for the Rugby MSF time signal
> configured as a tier 2 source.
>
> Jonathon Buzzard designed the hardware and wrote a shared-memory ntpd
> interface for it. The hardware cost GBP 30 ($US 60) and took barely a
> couple of hours to assemble and test. Its powered from the serial port.
> See http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/radioclock.html for details.

I have never had problems with any Windows NT-based system including, NTP,
DST, time zones, etc.

I have a Java weather data acquisition application that I happen to be
running on Windows XP, and it sails right through DST time changes with no
trouble at all, and stays synchronized with time.windows.com or any other
NTP server I happen to choose.

http://mysite.verizon.net/Karl_Uppiano/weather.html
http://mysite.verizon.net/Karl_Uppiano/wxservice.html

There are minor difficulties if the hardware timebase is not accurate,
causing wind speed anomalies when it syncs with network time, but that isn't
Windows' fault.

Arne Vajhøj

Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.java.programmer message <rb22t3hh8skch17as5jn922ae19a79e159
> @4ax.com>, Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:59:22, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)
> om.invalid> posted:
>> For North Americans daylight saving starts Sunday March 9.

> Some North Americans do not have Summer Time.
>
> NRC thinks that Newfoundland changes at 00:01 clock time (which IMHO
> gives a risk of advancing the date, in Autumn, twice).
>
> I believe that Mexico is in North America, and uses different dates.
> I believe that Greenland is in North America, and uses different dates.

He probably just meant USA and Canada.

Arne