Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft endorses PHP

Microsoft endorses PHP

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Microsoft admits that, once it acquires Yahoo, it's not going to rip out all
the open-source stuff that the latter is running its business on
<http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/03/06/ballmer_yahoo_php/>. Quoth Steve
Ballmer:

"When all's said and done, a bunch of those PHP applications will be
running at high scale and in production for a long time to come."

So what happens when some multi-billion-dollar customer talks to their
Microsoft rep about putting in a whole bunch of systems built exclusively
around ASP.NET; is the rep going to admit "Uh, actually, we run a lot of
PHP ourselves"?

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> Microsoft admits that, once it acquires Yahoo, it's not going to rip out all
> the open-source stuff that the latter is running its business on
> <http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/03/06/ballmer_yahoo_php/>. Quoth Steve
> Ballmer:
>
> "When all's said and done, a bunch of those PHP applications will be
> running at high scale and in production for a long time to come."
>
> So what happens when some multi-billion-dollar customer talks to their
> Microsoft rep about putting in a whole bunch of systems built exclusively
> around ASP.NET; is the rep going to admit "Uh, actually, we run a lot of
> PHP ourselves"?

Easy, "We eat our own dog food..."

regards

Thing