Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan

Looking for super quiet economical Socket 754 CPU Cooling fan

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Phat Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yup, a friend's wife made the comment that she told him when they got
>a new computer that it had to look "Good in the living room", or they
>wasn't getting it... I told him he needed a new wife....

Needs to go Alienware then
http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pag...l_default.aspx

FWIW I have a gateway that is so quiet, that it sits at my feet and I
can't hear a thing. At first I stuck a straw in the fan of the power
supply to prove to myself that the fan was really running
(P4 3Ghz game machine)
--

Give free rice to hungry people by playing a simple word game.
http://freerice.com/index.php?cool

Bob Bob

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 09:27:14 -0500, Phat Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 17:32:35 -0500, Bob Bob <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>You know that those desks with computer enclosures must have the non
>>vented door closed to 'look right'! Shame if they are open and almost
>>as bad as having the rear panel left nice and solid.
>>
>>Don't matter what you tell them either as a lot of people have way
>>more dennaros than gray matter.....,or so it seems.

>Yup, a friend's wife made the comment that she told him when they got
>a new computer that it had to look "Good in the living room", or they
>wasn't getting it... I told him he needed a new wife....

I tell you, a new wife once in a while sure beats the hell out of
reloading/reinstalling all the software and the data files....and it
could turn out that they could take up some time--at least for a
while.
....I know, everyone should have a ghosted copy of the hard drive, but
on the chance that the new wife could be a redhead--ah, ain't it
sweet......

catchme

Phat Sam wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:01:00 GMT, catchme <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> in my 680 sf apartment, the merest noise on my hard drive is enough to
>> wake me up (like when my scheduled scans and assorted updates are active).
>> A hard drive that is always noisy would simply be intolerable (not just
>>from lack of sleep, but also from concern of performance issues that
>> chronic hard drive noise points at), never mind a noisy fan as well.
>> an "aircraft hangar" in a small apartment is extremely inappropriate to
>> my wife and myself- and potentially, my neighbours.

> You can't get rid of your neighbors, but you can get rid of your wife.
> Though if the sound of your CPU fan is keeping you awake, I have
> reasons to believe you've got other problems like constantly loading
> yourself up on energy drinks to the point that you are not sleepy. Had
> you been sleepy to begin with, you'd be able to sleep with the sound
> of the fan. But hey, if you really have that much of a problem, just
> rip the fan off and leave the computer on 24/7, then buy you a new
> computer every 3-4 hours.... Of course, you might also ask yourself
> if you need to leave your computer on 24/7.... If your going to live
> in such a crappy apartment building that the sound of your CPU fan
> wakes the neighbors, then you may just have to live with a crappy fan
> and turn your CPU off when your not using it.... You probably
> shouldn't use your computer after 9pm either to ensure that the case
> fan or CPU fan doesn't wake the neighbors... Not to mention, better
> hold your breath as the sound of it could cause the neighbors to have
> a heart attack....

ummm.. i think you missed the gist.
the fellow i was replying to said that he would rather some high
powered, noisy fan running than some wimpy one.
my post was that in most places the "wimpy" fan is most practical (i
cannot imagine having to work beside a noisy fan that the fellow i was
replying to had suggested as appropriate).
however, yes the slightest noise does wake me- always has.
partly this might be from having been in cadets and "conditioned" to
sleeping at the ready, and partly it may have been other enviromental
factors, such as growing up in a poor neighbourhood in a busy city, or
too many weird shifts.
im not complaining about the noise of my computer- but i do question why
anyone would WANT to have a noisy machine?

Phat Sam

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 21:11:13 -0400, Bob Bob <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I tell you, a new wife once in a while sure beats the hell out of
>reloading/reinstalling all the software and the data files....and it
>could turn out that they could take up some time--at least for a
>while.
>...I know, everyone should have a ghosted copy of the hard drive, but
>on the chance that the new wife could be a redhead--ah, ain't it
>sweet......

Even better if the new wife would be dead on arrival...