Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Home Network - Launch Programs on Other Computer?

Home Network - Launch Programs on Other Computer?

CT

Hi,

Desktop is wired to a Linksys router, laptop is connected wirelessly.
Both are XP Pro SP2 machines.

I might be confusing home networking with remote access.

Is it possible to launch and work in programs on another computer
through a home network? If not, how does one remotely (and safely!) do
this? Third party software such as GoToMyPC, etc.?

Thank you.
Cheryl

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Files are easily shared. You can start (as an example) Word on the Laptop,
and open a file from the Desktop.
However if Word is only installed on the Desktop you can not run the core
program on the Laptop.
You can use Remote control program to do so, but it would be slow since
basically the program runs on the remote computer and transfers the Keyboard
and monitor information to the computer that you are working one.
Depending on what you need to do you can use Windows Remote Desktop (RDT),
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx
Or if RDT does not work with your version, or does not work well with the
specific application, you can this free 3rd party remote control program
too.
http://www.uvnc.com/download/
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"CT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Desktop is wired to a Linksys router, laptop is connected wirelessly.
> Both are XP Pro SP2 machines.
>
> I might be confusing home networking with remote access.
>
> Is it possible to launch and work in programs on another computer
> through a home network? If not, how does one remotely (and safely!) do
> this? Third party software such as GoToMyPC, etc.?
>
> Thank you.
> Cheryl

CT

On Mar 6, 6:54 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> Files are easily shared. You can start (as an example) Word on the Laptop,
> and open a file from the Desktop.
> However if Word is only installed on the Desktop you can not run the core
> program on the Laptop.
> You can use Remote control program to do so, but it would be slow since
> basically the program runs on the remote computer and transfers the Keyboard
> and monitor information to the computer that you are working one.
> Depending on what you need to do you can use Windows Remote Desktop (RDT),http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...arted/remotein...
> Or if RDT does not work with your version, or does not work well with the
> specific application, you can this free 3rd party remote control program
> too.http://www.uvnc.com/download/
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "CT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hi,

> > Desktop is wired to a Linksys router, laptop is connected wirelessly.
> > Both are XP Pro SP2 machines.

> > I might be confusing home networking with remote access.

> > Is it possible to launch and work in programs on another computer
> > through a home network? If not, how does one remotely (and safely!) do
> > this? Third party software such as GoToMyPC, etc.?

> > Thank you.
> > Cheryl

Jack,

I appreciate your reply.

Thank you very much for this information. Very helpful!

Cheers!
Cheryl