Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Getting Byte[] data with MySQL -Cast(... AS BINARY)

Getting Byte[] data with MySQL -Cast(... AS BINARY)

ist

Hi,

I am trying to get (and transfer over ASP.NET) some encrypted data
from some MySQL fields. Since the data contains many unicode
characters, I tried to get the data as a series of ASCII values,
transfer those numeric values over ASP.NET. I had no problem doing
this on my local computer, by getting the field with "cast(field as
BINARY)" so that on ASP.NET I have a byte[] array.Then send every
field of array over ASP.Net.

However when I upload application to remote server, "cast(field as
BINARY)" returns field data as String type. I have tried many ways to
convert this string data to byte array, however data always become
corrupted. So I have to get data as a byte array directly from MySQL.

As I've said, I had no problem doing this on my local computer,
however, on my local computer I was connecting to same computer using
same driver (MySQL Odbc 3.51), so when I upload the ASP.NET page to
remote server, ONLY thing that is changing is location and -maybe-
ASP.NET version (I am sure both are ASP.NET 2 , maybe different
builds)

So, the bottom line is: I am trying to get MySQL data as byte[] type,
on local web server I have no problem, on remote web server
(connecting to SAME MySQL Server) I get data as String, instead of
Byte[]. How can I achieve same result on remote server?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

First, let's step back. You are using encrypted data, which means you have
char > 255. This was a problem in traditional ASP, but should not be a
problem in ASP.NET, as strings are Unicode by default. I have not played
extensively with MySQL, so I cannot be completely sure, but I have done
extensive work with encryption in other databases, requiring no need to pull
as binary.

I would try pulling the string out straight rather than running from string
to byte[] and back to Unicode string.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

| Think outside the box!

"ist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get (and transfer over ASP.NET) some encrypted data
> from some MySQL fields. Since the data contains many unicode
> characters, I tried to get the data as a series of ASCII values,
> transfer those numeric values over ASP.NET. I had no problem doing
> this on my local computer, by getting the field with "cast(field as
> BINARY)" so that on ASP.NET I have a byte[] array.Then send every
> field of array over ASP.Net.
>
> However when I upload application to remote server, "cast(field as
> BINARY)" returns field data as String type. I have tried many ways to
> convert this string data to byte array, however data always become
> corrupted. So I have to get data as a byte array directly from MySQL.
>
> As I've said, I had no problem doing this on my local computer,
> however, on my local computer I was connecting to same computer using
> same driver (MySQL Odbc 3.51), so when I upload the ASP.NET page to
> remote server, ONLY thing that is changing is location and -maybe-
> ASP.NET version (I am sure both are ASP.NET 2 , maybe different
> builds)
>
> So, the bottom line is: I am trying to get MySQL data as byte[] type,
> on local web server I have no problem, on remote web server
> (connecting to SAME MySQL Server) I get data as String, instead of
> Byte[]. How can I achieve same result on remote server?

ist

Hi,
I've 'played' with some MySQL connection properties (Character set,
collation etc.), and converted String data to byte array at ASP.NET
side ('played' here with some combinations too) and got a good result
for now. Thanks..

On 6 Mart, 16:44, "Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> First, let's step back. You are using encrypted data, which means you have
> char > 255. This was a problem in traditional ASP, but should not be a
> problem in ASP.NET, as strings are Unicode by default. I have not played
> extensively with MySQL, so I cannot be completely sure, but I have done
> extensive work with encryption in other databases, requiring no need to pull
> as binary.
>
> I would try pulling the string out straight rather than running from string
> to byte[] and back to Unicode string.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

> | Think outside the box!
> |
> *************************************************" ist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Hi,

> > I am trying to get (and transfer over ASP.NET) some encrypted data
> > from some MySQL fields. Since the data contains many unicode
> > characters, I tried to get the data as a series of ASCII values,
> > transfer those numeric values over ASP.NET. I had no problem doing
> > this on my local computer, by getting the field with "cast(field as
> > BINARY)" so that on ASP.NET I have a byte[] array.Then send every
> > field of array over ASP.Net.

> > However when I upload application to remote server, "cast(field as
> > BINARY)" returns field data as String type. I have tried many ways to
> > convert this string data to byte array, however data always become
> > corrupted. So I have to get data as a byte array directly from MySQL.

> > As I've said, I had no problem doing this on my local computer,
> > however, on my local computer I was connecting to same computer using
> > same driver (MySQL Odbc 3.51), so when I upload the ASP.NET page to
> > remote server, ONLY thing that is changing is location and -maybe-
> > ASP.NET version (I am sure both are ASP.NET 2 , maybe different
> > builds)

> > So, the bottom line is: I am trying to get MySQL data as byte[] type,
> > on local web server I have no problem, on remote web server
> > (connecting to SAME MySQL Server) I get data as String, instead of
> > Byte[]. How can I achieve same result on remote server?- Alıntıyı gizle -

> - Alıntıyı göster -

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Glad you found an answer that works.

--