Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problem with KB884883

Problem with KB884883

Robert A. Trifiletti, Jr.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884883

After installing this hotfix, my Dell C840 laptop with Dell TrueMobile 1150
mini-pci wireless adapter started acting up. Problems experienced after
installing KB884883:

1. Connection to wireless network would not keep WEP key after reboots
2. At least 2 or 3 "repair" actions needed for it to get IP address
3. If it did get an IP address, it would work howerver the wireless system
tray icon would never change from the Acquiring Network Address animated
icon.

A uninstall of KB884883 completely illimated the above problems and has held
over 3 reboots. I consider KB884883 to impact wireless networking on my
system.

MS, Please forward to that team for evaluation.

Bobby
1{trifster [at] (gmail).(com)}1

Chris Gual [MSFT]

Hello,

I tried to reproduce the problem you are experiencing but was
unsuccessful. Here's what I did:

My installation was on Windows XP SP2.
I tried connecting to an Open / WEP wireless network using a 40 bit WEP key
by the View Available Networks user interface.
Once I was connected to the wireless network I rebooted.
After the reboot, my laptop was able to connect to the network & get a DHCP
address without having to reenter the WEP key.

I then deleted the wireless network & rebooted.
Then I created a wireless network entry by going to the Properties for the
wireless network card and adding a new preferred network. I was able to
connect to the wireless network with this entry.
I rebooted and the laptop was able to connect without having to reenter the
WEP key

I was wondering if you could provide some more info to try to help me
reproduce the problem:

Did you install KB884883 on Windows XP SP2?
Did you have any other KBs installed? If so, which ones?
Did you have your settings for the wireless network configured before
you installed KB884883?
If not, how did you connect to the wireless network? Did you connect
using the View Available Network UI or did you manually create the entry for
the wireless network?
What are the settings for the network you are connecting to? Is it an
infrastructure or ad-hoc network?

Thanks,
Chris Gual [MSFT]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...