Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can't decide--Canon or Nikon

Can't decide--Canon or Nikon

Mr. Strat

In article <I4Kzj.14791$(E-Mail Removed)> , measekite
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<useless HTML snipped>

*HEY ****TARD! HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO TELL YOU TO STOP POSTING IN
HTML?*

measekite

John Sheehy wrote:
> measekite <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:r6Kzj.14792$(E-Mail Removed) et:
>

>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>>

> Can we keep this wordprocessor stuff off of usenet? Your posts are
> impossible to read in a true usenet-style newsreader.
>
> Usenet is a pure-text medium, with a unit of lines;, not paragraphs.

You people who complain about the use of modern graphics are using some
combination of older computers, outdated software that was all designed
for use during the dial up days that is not in use by anyone except the
stalwarts who refuse to change. It is like in 1930 when everybody had a
car but a few who still rode horses and complained about the noise and
smell of the exhaust.

The majority of the population are in the 21st century and not in the
early days of computing.
> Are you using outlook express? The Usenet functionality of OO was written
> by people who probably didn't even know what usenet was, before being
> assigned to the project. OO came out, guns-ablazing, screwing up usenet,
> trying to turn it into a word processor.
>
> People are just going to skip over your posts and not read them in the
> format you're presenting them in.

measekite

Do you like Canon or Nikon?

Mr. Strat wrote:

In article &lt;I4Kzj.14791$(E-Mail Removed) &gt;, measekite &lt;(E-Mail Removed)&gt; wrote:

&lt;!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"&gt; &lt;html&gt;

&lt;useless HTML snipped&gt; *HEY ****TARD! HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO TELL YOU TO STOP POSTING IN HTML?*

Joseph Meehan

I will only suggest this. Get both cameras in your hands and see how
they feel. No one else can tell you how you are going to fit the camera.

They are both great cameras. The only mistake you can really make is
not handling one first only to find after you buy it that you are not
comfortable using it, or if you start blaming (or crediting) you bad or good
results on the camera. I am sure Rembrandt could have out painted me using
a Qtip and paint by numbers colors when I had the best brushes paints and
other materials. Photography is an art first.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

"kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
> Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
> Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
> limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
>
> Thanks
> Lori

David J Taylor

measekite wrote:
[]
> You people who complain about the use of modern graphics are using
> some combination of older computers, outdated software that was all
> designed for use during the dial up days that is not in use by anyone
> except the stalwarts who refuse to change. It is like in 1930 when
> everybody had a car but a few who still rode horses and complained
> about the noise and smell of the exhaust.
>
> The majority of the population are in the 21st century and not in the
> early days of computing.

Measekite,

There are a number of issues:

- This is a text-only newsgroup. To send it HTML is against the charter
it was setup with, just as if you decided to ignore one-way streets.

- HTML introduces security concerns which are absent with plain text, and
requires more bandwidth and storage.

- Quite possibly, your choice of graphic formatting may not be suitable
for someone with restricted vision, or someone relying on a text-to-speech
conversion to read the messages.

If you wish to use HTML, there are plenty of Web forums where it is
welcome, but to use it here is just rubbing people up the wrong way.

David

armpit

Actually, the new XSi will drive down the price of the XTi, making the XTi a
more attractive choice. I'd rather spend the money on good lenses than
buying the newer, more expensive camera body.

"measekite" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:I4Kzj.14791$(E-Mail Removed) t...
Do not buy either. Canon just announced and will ship in April a successor
the the XTi called the Canon 450D or the Digital Rebel XSi. It should be a
12MP with many advanced features.

The only thing missing (unfortunately) is the swivel LCD like on the S5 IS.
No DSLR currently has that and I would think it would be great. But the new
Canon offering look much better than the Nikon 40Dx. It may even be better
than the Nikon D80. You can read the announcements on dpreview website.

kayla wrote:
I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.

Thanks
Lori

Daniel Silevitch

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 05:45:36 GMT, John Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> measekite <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:r6Kzj.14792$(E-Mail Removed) et:
>
>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

> Can we keep this wordprocessor stuff off of usenet? Your posts are
> impossible to read in a true usenet-style newsreader.
>
> Usenet is a pure-text medium, with a unit of lines;, not paragraphs.
>
> Are you using outlook express? The Usenet functionality of OO was written
> by people who probably didn't even know what usenet was, before being
> assigned to the project. OO came out, guns-ablazing, screwing up usenet,
> trying to turn it into a word processor.
>
> People are just going to skip over your posts and not read them in the
> format you're presenting them in.

He's been asked politely before to stop the HTML. He's been yelled at
before to stop the HTMl. He's been cursed out and told to stop the HTML.

He knows what he's doing, and just doesn't care.

-dms

Daniel Silevitch

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:34:40 GMT, measekite <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> John Sheehy wrote:
>> measekite <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:r6Kzj.14792$(E-Mail Removed) et:
>>

>>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>>>

>> Can we keep this wordprocessor stuff off of usenet? Your posts are
>> impossible to read in a true usenet-style newsreader.
>>
>> Usenet is a pure-text medium, with a unit of lines;, not paragraphs.
>>

> You people who complain about the use of modern graphics are using some
> combination of older computers, outdated software that was all designed
> for use during the dial up days that is not in use by anyone except the
> stalwarts who refuse to change. It is like in 1930 when everybody had a
> car but a few who still rode horses and complained about the noise and
> smell of the exhaust.

Except that you're the only regular poster using HTML. Everyone else is
using straight text. _You_ are the outlier, not the rest of us. There's
no reason for all of us to change our software just because you are too
lazy or stubborn to click the "Plain text" option in Outlook Express.

-dms

Pete D

"Daniel Silevitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 05:45:36 GMT, John Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> measekite <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:r6Kzj.14792$(E-Mail Removed) et:
>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

>> Can we keep this wordprocessor stuff off of usenet? Your posts are
>> impossible to read in a true usenet-style newsreader.
>>
>> Usenet is a pure-text medium, with a unit of lines;, not paragraphs.
>>
>> Are you using outlook express? The Usenet functionality of OO was
>> written
>> by people who probably didn't even know what usenet was, before being
>> assigned to the project. OO came out, guns-ablazing, screwing up usenet,
>> trying to turn it into a word processor.
>>
>> People are just going to skip over your posts and not read them in the
>> format you're presenting them in.

> He's been asked politely before to stop the HTML. He's been yelled at
> before to stop the HTMl. He's been cursed out and told to stop the HTML.
>
> He knows what he's doing, and just doesn't care.
>
> -dms

So if you are that f***ing worried about it click the botton on your kilfile
and then you will not have to post a hundred posts complaining about it.

Dave Cohen

kayla wrote:
> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
> Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
> Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
> limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
>
> Thanks
> Lori

I own neither and I've no idea. However, I can guarantee one thing with
close to 100% certainty - after reading all the posts you'll be about as
close to a consensus as say the current situation between Clinton and Obama.
Comparable models are very competitive, choices are subjective and
emotional bias runs deep (god only knows why), so good luck.
Dave Cohen