Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can't decide--Canon or Nikon

Can't decide--Canon or Nikon

kayla

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.

Thanks
Lori

Mr. G D Geen

kayla wrote:
> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
> Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
> Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
> limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
>
> Thanks
> Lori

I would have to say you cannot go wrong with either one. A few years
ago I asked the same question as many other here did. I chose Nikon and
my buddy chose Canon. Dang! I wish we had chosen the same equipment so
we could share lenses.

I suggest going down to your nearest brick and mortar store and looking
at each. Check out the menus, how it feels in you hand, etc. It
depends on your store. CCity, BBuy, and the like will have idiots at
the counter. They may be able to read the feature list from the card or
screen but they will know nothing more than that about either camera.
My Wolf Camera at least has someone who is interested in photography
working behind the counter but that is not always the case. It really
depends on the manager. -G

Pete D

"kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
> Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
> Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
> limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
>
> Thanks
> Lori

Both would be good but you have to use it so go into a shop and handle them
both, use the menus, also have a look at the lenses that you are likely to
buy. Ultimaely in a few years you will want a new camera but you will keep
the lenses so there get the one that you give most ticks to the entire
system. Personally I would suggest going up just a little and get the D80.

Cheers.

Pete

armpit

"kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
> Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
> Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
> limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
>
> Thanks
> Lori

I was weighing that same decision a few weeks ago, as I was looking to buy
my first DSLR. I actually wound up getting a Nikon D80, since I had heard
that Nikon lenses were a little better, and that Canon lenses are a bit more
expensive. (I don't wish to debate those statements, I just read it from
some reputable sources, and a newbie's gotta learn somewhere.)

One thing to keep in mind with the D40x is that your autofocus lens choices
are limited to only lenses that have built-in AF motors. This severely
limits your lens choices. That is one of the main reasons why I chose the
D80 over the D40x. The other reason is that I got a killer deal on a D80 kit
with an 18-55 lens and a 70-300mm VR lens from Adorama.com

I would suggest going to a camera store and holding each camera and see how
they feel to you. I much preferred the Nikon over the Canon for my hands,
but many prefer the opposite.

Either in a fine choice, but find out what the limitations and shortcomings
are for each model and choose the one that has the features that meet your
needs.

HEMI-Powered

Pete D added these comments in the current discussion du jour

>> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
>> Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using
>> the Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has
>> it's limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions
>> between the two.

> Both would be good but you have to use it so go into a shop
> and handle them both, use the menus, also have a look at the
> lenses that you are likely to buy. Ultimaely in a few years
> you will want a new camera but you will keep the lenses so
> there get the one that you give most ticks to the entire
> system. Personally I would suggest going up just a little and
> get the D80.

I followed exactly your advice a couple years back when trying to
decide on a Canon Rebel XT or a Nikon D70s. These days, I believe
you're right, it is the D80 that is the direct competitor to the
XTi.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley!" - from the movie
"Airplane!"

Dudley Hanks

"kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
> Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
> Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
> limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
>
> Thanks
> Lori

That's a tough choice.

In my case, it was made somewhat easier because I already had a number of
Canon flashes, lenses, cables, filters, etc which work on the Rebel as well
as my older film cameras. Once committed, experimentation becomes
expensive.

However, if reverse compatibility had not been an issue, my next criteria
would have been cost. Barring any unusual sales or price competition, I
believe the Rebel is a bit cheaper, so I probably would have still ended up
with the Canon.

In general, it has been my experience that you will get more features at a
slightly lower cost from Canon, but I'm sure there are some hard-core
Nikonians out there who will dispute that claim.

The bottom line? Both Canon and Nikon will give you good performance and
quality. Go to a camera store. Check out your options. Take some test
shots. Ask the sales rep whatever questions pop into your mind.

My main piece of advice would be: Don't buy on line, even if you can get it
cheaper. You can't physically compare on-line items, so you have to rule
out personal comfort as a criteria.

Instead, support your local camera merchants because they are the ones you
can go to in a pinch.

Good Luck,
Dudley

XxYyZz

"kayla" <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
> Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
> Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
> limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
>
> Thanks
> Lori

I would suggest you go to a camera store and handle them both before you
buy. Try to use as many af the cameras features and menus that you can and see
which camera you like better. If need be you can go to each manufacturers
website and download the manuals so you will be somewhat familiar with the
controls.

Another concern would be lenses. Your lenses will be an important part of
your system wether you go Cannon or Nikon. Take a look at the lenses you will
want before you buy. If you buy good lenses you will always have them even if
you upgrade your camera.

Both Canon and Nikon are tops brands and I'm sure you will be happy with
either one.

Bill

On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 16:54:00 -0500, kayla <afwt_hotmail.com@> wrote:

>I'm having a hard time deciding between the Canon XTi or the
>Nikon 40Dx after doing a lot of research. I've been using the
>Canon Pro1 for 3 years and I really like it but it has it's
>limitations and I want to move on. Any suggestions between the two.
>
>Thanks
>Lori

You might want to check out the new Canon Xsi. Canon and Nikon bounce
back and forth with the best cameras in their respective brackets and
the specs for the newest entry level Canon dslr look pretty sweet.

Bill

kayla

Wow!! Thanks everybody! You have all given great advice and I do
plan on going to a camera shop because when I got my Pro1 I got
excellent service during the sale and afterwards as well when I needed
help with anything. What got me thinking about Nikon is the shorter
zoom lense compared to the longer one from Canon because less weight
is important to me and I would like to pretty well keep the same lens
on. The cost of the two that I picked are also within my budget.

If it ever stops snowing or freezing rain every other day I will go
and start shopping. That's been the biggest hold up.

Lori

measekite

Do not buy either.&nbsp; Canon just announced and will ship in April a successor the the XTi called the Canon 450D or the Digital Rebel XSi.&nbsp; It should be a 12MP with many advanced features.

The only thing missing (unfortunately) is the swivel LCD like on the S5 IS.&nbsp; No DSLR currently has that and I would think it would be great.&nbsp; But the new Canon offering look much better than the Nikon 40Dx.&nbsp; It may even be better than the Nikon D80.&nbsp; You can read the announcements on dpreview website.