Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > A very good (for AMD/ATI) AMD's hdmi chipset...

A very good (for AMD/ATI) AMD's hdmi chipset...

thingy

Brian Mathews

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:48:06 +1300, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/..._780g_chipset/

And to watch HD on a PC, No Thanks

Plus you will need a HDMI DRM monitor or TV.

thingy

Brian Mathews wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:48:06 +1300, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/..._780g_chipset/

> And to watch HD on a PC, No Thanks

Maybe, if you are still thinking of a 15 or 17inch monitor 18 inches
from your nose...if via a 24inch/27inch/30inch LCD monitor though.
So it depends on the overall concept. The idea seems to be that such a
"PC" ends up being the core of the 21st century house, so it handles all
your communications, entertainment and data needs...so using a
especially configured/spec'd PC/Mac for this duty is seen by some as the
way forward.

> Plus you will need a HDMI DRM monitor or TV.

and yes, thats pretty obvious for commercial stuff, but such features I
expect to become common in hardware moving forward, just as long as it
can be turned off.

regards

thing

BTMO

"thingy" <> wrote

>> And to watch HD on a PC, No Thanks
>>

> Maybe, if you are still thinking of a 15 or 17inch monitor 18 inches from
> your nose...if via a 24inch/27inch/30inch LCD monitor though.
> So it depends on the overall concept. The idea seems to be that such a
> "PC" ends up being the core of the 21st century house, so it handles all
> your communications, entertainment and data needs...so using a especially
> configured/spec'd PC/Mac for this duty is seen by some as the way forward.
>
> > Plus you will need a HDMI DRM monitor or TV.

> and yes, thats pretty obvious for commercial stuff, but such features I
> expect to become common in hardware moving forward, just as long as it can
> be turned off.

Dude... Wodger. You see the issue?

Nighthawk

wrote:

>http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/..._780g_chipset/

Pair that with an Athlon X2 4850e, 45W, and a Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP
30" LCD monitor, yum! Great home theatre setup with HDMI to HDMI
connection.

Richard

thingy wrote:
> http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/..._780g_chipset/

Looks like a really nice board for upgrading my htpc to cope with DTT -
no component outs however for my tv unless they can do it via the dvi
plug like some ati video cards.

Shame that it seems most of them waste space with 2 pci slots that could
have being pci express. This board has made me re-evaluate what I will
get for a htpc since I now no longer need a high end 3d card just to get
mpeg4 acceleration.

thingy

Richard wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/..._780g_chipset/

> Looks like a really nice board for upgrading my htpc to cope with DTT -
> no component outs however for my tv unless they can do it via the dvi
> plug like some ati video cards.
>
> Shame that it seems most of them waste space with 2 pci slots that could
> have being pci express. This board has made me re-evaluate what I will
> get for a htpc since I now no longer need a high end 3d card just to get
> mpeg4 acceleration.

There seems to be few pci-e add on cards especially when I consider the
ones I have come across as junk...I cant understand why they dont
include at least one pci-e 4 lane slot if not two....1's seem pointless
in quantity...eg most NICs and raid controllers I have come across as
worth buying are pci-e x 4....and i cant conceive of a setup that would
utilise 4 x pci-e 1 lanes!

So, for many good devices pci seems worthwhile still.

regards

Thing

thingy

BTMO wrote:
> "thingy" <> wrote
>

>>> And to watch HD on a PC, No Thanks
>>>

>> Maybe, if you are still thinking of a 15 or 17inch monitor 18 inches from
>> your nose...if via a 24inch/27inch/30inch LCD monitor though.
>> So it depends on the overall concept. The idea seems to be that such a
>> "PC" ends up being the core of the 21st century house, so it handles all
>> your communications, entertainment and data needs...so using a especially
>> configured/spec'd PC/Mac for this duty is seen by some as the way forward.
>>
>>> Plus you will need a HDMI DRM monitor or TV.

>> and yes, thats pretty obvious for commercial stuff, but such features I
>> expect to become common in hardware moving forward, just as long as it can
>> be turned off.

> Dude... Wodger. You see the issue?

ah....I do now, should have figured that one....

regards

thing

Richard

thingy wrote:

> There seems to be few pci-e add on cards especially when I consider the
> ones I have come across as junk...I cant understand why they dont
> include at least one pci-e 4 lane slot if not two....1's seem pointless
> in quantity...eg most NICs and raid controllers I have come across as
> worth buying are pci-e x 4....and i cant conceive of a setup that would
> utilise 4 x pci-e 1 lanes!
>
> So, for many good devices pci seems worthwhile still.

There are tuner cards coming out in pci-e, esatas are in it, cant think
of anything else that would be needed on a machine IMO since the HDaudio
codecs onboard.

More lanes would be better. They manage to make a degree of
configuration with the SLI slots on some boards so I would like to see
the ability to change the lanes around how I want, so all the physical
slots could be longer ones, and just turn off the lanes that are not
required.

Richard

Brian Mathews wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:48:06 +1300, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/..._780g_chipset/

> And to watch HD on a PC, No Thanks

What would you rather watch them on? A standalone player which costs
more then a htpc does in nz? How about a PS3 - except only teenagers
have those...

> Plus you will need a HDMI DRM monitor or TV.

Only need that if your source material requires it to be present, so its
really only a problem for those that buy their content. Another example
of the rights respecting people getting screwed over