Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows mail - Vista

Windows mail - Vista

Big Ron

I have received several attachments to emails variously in .xls, .pdf, and
..doc formats. Windows mail will neither let me open them or save
attachments to a folder. Anyone know which settings I need to alter, or
where the folder is with the attachments within?

TIA

Ron

Big Ron

Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them, (except to
newsgroups!) - new laptop running Vista. Could the problems be linked?

"Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fqmnt5$ocf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have received several attachments to emails variously in .xls, .pdf, and
>.doc formats. Windows mail will neither let me open them or save
>attachments to a folder. Anyone know which settings I need to alter, or
>where the folder is with the attachments within?
>
> TIA
>
> Ron

Alang

05/03/2008 Big Ron wrote:

> Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them,
> (except to newsgroups!) - new laptop running Vista. Could the
> problems be linked?

Yes.
Try an old laptop with XP on it. Should work.

> "Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fqmnt5$ocf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have received several attachments to emails variously in .xls,
> > .pdf, and .doc formats. Windows mail will neither let me open
> > them or save attachments to a folder. Anyone know which settings
> > I need to alter, or where the folder is with the attachments
> > within?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Ron

Big Ron

"Alang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N3Czj.40466$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 05/03/2008 Big Ron wrote:
>
>> Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them,
>> (except to newsgroups!) - new laptop running Vista. Could the
>> problems be linked?

> Yes.
> Try an old laptop with XP on it. Should work.

There's always a cretin knocking about...

Alang

05/03/2008 Big Ron wrote:

> "Alang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:N3Czj.40466$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > 05/03/2008 Big Ron wrote:
> >
> > > Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them,
> > > (except to newsgroups!) - new laptop running Vista. Could the
> > > problems be linked?

> > Yes.
> > Try an old laptop with XP on it. Should work.
> >

> There's always a cretin knocking about...

Who will buy a computer with vista on it.
Lots of them apparently

Seriously. Ditch vista and put XP on it.
Failing that..
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Blinky the Shark

Big Ron wrote:

> Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them, (except to
> newsgroups!)

This is not email.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Evan Platt

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:13:59 -0000, "Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have received several attachments to emails variously in .xls, .pdf, and
>.doc formats.

First question - are you expecting these attachments? Are they from
trusted people AND something you're expecting, and not "Look at
Brittany Spears nude tits!" e-mails?

>Windows mail will neither let me open them or save attachments to a folder.

No, please don't tell us what happens when you try. We like guessing.

>Anyone know which settings I need to alter, or where the folder is with the attachments within?

I believe the attachments are embedded. You could try searching your
drive for the attachments to be sure though.

>Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them, (except to
>newsgroups!)

Newsgroups aren't e-mails. Completely different.

And again, no, don't tell us what the error is or anything, we (TINW)
like guessing.

>- new laptop running Vista.

That's the problem there. Go 'back' to XP.

>Could the problems be linked?

Doubt it.

MoiMoi

In article <fqmo3p$p5q$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them, (except to
> newsgroups!) - new laptop running Vista. Could the problems be linked?

Probably not.
Your SMTP server options are probably not correct.

Posting here has nothing to do with email, this is UseNet.

As far as the attachments, it's probably a Security option in the mail
program, same common gotcha as in Outlook Express.

MM
----------------------
> "Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fqmnt5$ocf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have received several attachments to emails variously in .xls, .pdf, and
> >.doc formats. Windows mail will neither let me open them or save
> >attachments to a folder. Anyone know which settings I need to alter, or
> >where the folder is with the attachments within?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Ron

Big Ron

Hi Evan - if I try to save the (expected) attachment, I get a dialogue
saying "the command failed to execute", or, "there was an error saving one
or more of the attachments, please check your disk space and try again". I
have lots of disk space left. I have unchecked the option in Security "do
not allow attachments to be opened that could be potentially a virus". But
still can't open........

Ron

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:13:59 -0000, "Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have received several attachments to emails variously in .xls, .pdf, and
>>.doc formats.

> First question - are you expecting these attachments? Are they from
> trusted people AND something you're expecting, and not "Look at
> Brittany Spears nude tits!" e-mails?
>
>>Windows mail will neither let me open them or save attachments to a
>>folder.

> No, please don't tell us what happens when you try. We like guessing.
>
>>Anyone know which settings I need to alter, or where the folder is with
>>the attachments within?

> I believe the attachments are embedded. You could try searching your
> drive for the attachments to be sure though.
>
>>Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them, (except to
>>newsgroups!)

> Newsgroups aren't e-mails. Completely different.
>
> And again, no, don't tell us what the error is or anything, we (TINW)
> like guessing.
>
>>- new laptop running Vista.

> That's the problem there. Go 'back' to XP.
>
>>Could the problems be linked?

> Doubt it.

joevan

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 20:10:08 -0000, "Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Evan - if I try to save the (expected) attachment, I get a dialogue
>saying "the command failed to execute", or, "there was an error saving one
>or more of the attachments, please check your disk space and try again". I
>have lots of disk space left. I have unchecked the option in Security "do
>not allow attachments to be opened that could be potentially a virus". But
>still can't open........
>
>Ron
>
>"Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:13:59 -0000, "Big Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I have received several attachments to emails variously in .xls, .pdf, and
>>>.doc formats.

>> First question - are you expecting these attachments? Are they from
>> trusted people AND something you're expecting, and not "Look at
>> Brittany Spears nude tits!" e-mails?
>>
>>>Windows mail will neither let me open them or save attachments to a
>>>folder.

>> No, please don't tell us what happens when you try. We like guessing.
>>
>>>Anyone know which settings I need to alter, or where the folder is with
>>>the attachments within?

>> I believe the attachments are embedded. You could try searching your
>> drive for the attachments to be sure though.
>>
>>>Forgot to mention - I can receive emails, but not send them, (except to
>>>newsgroups!)

>> Newsgroups aren't e-mails. Completely different.
>>
>> And again, no, don't tell us what the error is or anything, we (TINW)
>> like guessing.
>>
>>>- new laptop running Vista.

>> That's the problem there. Go 'back' to XP.
>>
>>>Could the problems be linked?

>> Doubt it.
>> --
>> To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.

My friends called me one day to help them. They had a message stuck in
the out box that would not go. Deleted it and all was well with
sending again. Outlook express or is it outhouse express?