Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Photo survey/ poll tools

Photo survey/ poll tools

Peter Jenkins

I need to put together a simple photo survey for someone I am
maintaining a site for (not the Trust BTW, this is a paying client

Basically the idea is that there will be a number of photos on a page,
and site visitors will be invited to vote for their favourite. There
will be a prize of a reasonable value, so I need something with a
reasonable level of security. i.e something that is not too easy to
hack/ skew the results. I dont really want to get involved in writing/
adapting scripts etc myself, I dont have the time or inclination to
reinvent the wheel to be honest, would prefer to use someone else's
proven product. The client is happy to pay so the solution doesn't
have to be free.

Anyone got any good suggestions, or has used something similar
themselves that you can recommend using/ avoiding? I have Googled, but
haven't found anything of much use.

Regards
Peter Jenkins
see http://www.sensiblesentencing.org.nz

frederick

Peter Jenkins wrote:
> I need to put together a simple photo survey for someone I am
> maintaining a site for (not the Trust BTW, this is a paying client
>
> Basically the idea is that there will be a number of photos on a page,
> and site visitors will be invited to vote for their favourite. There
> will be a prize of a reasonable value, so I need something with a
> reasonable level of security. i.e something that is not too easy to
> hack/ skew the results. I dont really want to get involved in writing/
> adapting scripts etc myself, I dont have the time or inclination to
> reinvent the wheel to be honest, would prefer to use someone else's
> proven product. The client is happy to pay so the solution doesn't
> have to be free.
>
> Anyone got any good suggestions, or has used something similar
> themselves that you can recommend using/ avoiding? I have Googled, but
> haven't found anything of much use.

Having browsed many photo competition sites, I can tell you that "viewer
ratings/votes" seem to be a hugely abused system, where multiple logins,
self-voting, and rampant self-promotion can be a rewarding activity.
That's when there's nothing on offer as a prize, except for fame and glory.
Add money in to the mix, and IMO you're asking for trouble.
If it were a straight photo competition, then a (panel of) competent
judge(s) is possibly a better idea, but of course will still also result
in unhappy punters.

neutrino

On Mar 6, 7:07*am, Peter Jenkins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I need to put together a simple photo survey for someone I am
> maintaining a site for (not the Trust BTW, this is a paying client
>
> Basically the idea is that there will be a number of photos on a page,
> and site visitors will be invited to vote for their favourite. There
> will be a prize of a reasonable value, so I need something with a
> reasonable level of security. i.e something that is not too easy to
> hack/ skew the results. I dont really want to get involved in writing/
> adapting scripts etc myself, I dont have the time or inclination to
> reinvent the wheel to be honest, would prefer to use someone else's
> proven product. The client is happy to pay so the solution doesn't
> have to be free.

Snip

Hi,
I did a search "vote scripts" "voting Scripts" "photo voting scripts"
and here's a selection of some that might be interesting, ot at least
give you an idea what's available ...

http://www.advancescripts.com/detailed/728.html

http://www.scriptsbank.com/PHP_Scrip...ing/index.html

http://webscripts.softpedia.com/scri...Vote-1722.html