Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > OT: Failed saving throw

OT: Failed saving throw

Aahz

For anyone who hasn't heard, E. Gary Gygax died yesterday. Some people
think we should build a tomb in his honor.

indirection." --Butler Lampson

Dan Upton

On 5 Mar 2008 07:36:37 -0800, Aahz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> For anyone who hasn't heard, E. Gary Gygax died yesterday. Some people
> think we should build a tomb in his honor.

Yeah, I just saw a tribute on Order of the Stick:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html

Dennis Lee Bieber

On 5 Mar 2008 07:36:37 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Aahz) declaimed the
following in comp.lang.python:

> For anyone who hasn't heard, E. Gary Gygax died yesterday. Some people
> think we should build a tomb in his honor.

Just a tomb? Commission Disney to build a whole dungeon with the
tomb somewhere inside... Of course, they'd want to charge admission <G>
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)

Aahz

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Dennis Lee Bieber <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 5 Mar 2008 07:36:37 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Aahz) declaimed the
>following in comp.lang.python:
>>
>> For anyone who hasn't heard, E. Gary Gygax died yesterday. Some people
>> think we should build a tomb in his honor.

> Just a tomb? Commission Disney to build a whole dungeon with the
>tomb somewhere inside... Of course, they'd want to charge admission <G>

You're apparently missing the reference to Tomb of Horrors.

indirection." --Butler Lampson

Dennis Lee Bieber

On 6 Mar 2008 13:25:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Aahz) declaimed the
following in comp.lang.python:

> You're apparently missing the reference to Tomb of Horrors.

Probably... I never played "original" D&D... my first RPG was
RuneQuest (something I still consider much more "realistic" -- some of
the fumble tables were based off of things that happened in SCA combat;
it also didn't have this strange concept that putting on heavy armor
made one harder to hit -- heavy armor in RQ reduced the damage one took
when they were hit...) My second RPG was the "Advanced D&D" which I
understand had a fairly significant difference in operation/culture...
My gamemaster seldom used prepackaged settings.
--

In article <fqmem5$is2$(E-Mail Removed)>, Aahz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For anyone who hasn't heard, E. Gary Gygax died yesterday. Some people
>think we should build a tomb in his honor.

....and xkcd finally weighs in:

http://xkcd.com/393/

indirection." --Butler Lampson