Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Toshiba CEO recent comments: standard DVDs on our players...won't be able to tell the difference from HD DVD images.

Toshiba CEO recent comments: standard DVDs on our players...won't be able to tell the difference from HD DVD images.

Robo-man

From: thedigitalbits.com 03/04/08

Now then... we've been getting a lot of e-mails today about Toshiba CEO
Atsutoshi Nishida's recent comments to The Wall Street Journal.
Specifically, one of the things he said (that readers have been asking us
about) was this:

"What people don't realize is that Hollywood studios are going to release
new titles not just for Blu-ray but for standard DVDs as well, and there are
a far greater number of current-generation DVD players out there. If you
watch standard DVDs on our players, the images are of very high quality
because they include an "upconverting" feature. And we're going to improve
this even more, so that consumers won't be able to tell the difference from
HD DVD images. The players would be much cheaper than Blu-ray players too.
Next-generation DVD players are in a much weaker position than when standard
DVD players were first introduced."

end:

Wow...Talk about sore losers. Spreading more lies. Why can't they just admit
defeat and hop on board?

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Derek Janssen

Robo-man wrote:

> Now then... we've been getting a lot of e-mails today about Toshiba CEO
> Atsutoshi Nishida's recent comments to The Wall Street Journal.
>
> "What people don't realize is that Hollywood studios are going to release
> new titles not just for Blu-ray but for standard DVDs as well, and there are
> a far greater number of current-generation DVD players out there. If you
> watch standard DVDs on our players, the images are of very high quality
> because they include an "upconverting" feature. And we're going to improve
> this even more, so that consumers won't be able to tell the difference from
> HD DVD images. The players would be much cheaper than Blu-ray players too.
> Next-generation DVD players are in a much weaker position than when standard
> DVD players were first introduced."

Lotsa YouTubes, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMoFQI5TTzY

Derek Janssen

Tarkus

Robo-man wrote:
> Wow...Talk about sore losers. Spreading more lies. Why can't they just admit
> defeat and hop on board?

I'd love to ask him why they were trying to push HD-DVD on us, if
upconversion is so great?

Derek Janssen

Tarkus wrote:

> Robo-man wrote:
>
>> Wow...Talk about sore losers. Spreading more lies. Why can't they just
>> admit defeat and hop on board?

> I'd love to ask him why they were trying to push HD-DVD on us, if
> upconversion is so great?

Or, as the earlier YouTube puts it:
"Toshiba Super-UpConverting[TM] Players...With Toshiba, your DVD's are
going to SUC!" @_@

Derek Janssen
(E-Mail Removed)

godslabrat@gmail.com

On Mar 4, 8:41 pm, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Robo-man wrote:
> > Wow...Talk about sore losers. Spreading more lies. Why can't they just admit
> > defeat and hop on board?

> I'd love to ask him why they were trying to push HD-DVD on us, if
> upconversion is so great?

I think it's pretty creepy how many people painted Sony as some sort
of Snidley Whiplash-esque villain while claiming Toshiba's approach
was so much more "consumer-friendly", and that if Blu won, it'd "kill
the industry".

Funny how things turn out when it's all over.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com

Derek Janssen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mar 4, 8:41 pm, Tarkus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Robo-man wrote:
>>
>>>Wow...Talk about sore losers. Spreading more lies. Why can't they just admit
>>>defeat and hop on board?

>>I'd love to ask him why they were trying to push HD-DVD on us, if
>>upconversion is so great?

> I think it's pretty creepy how many people painted Sony as some sort
> of Snidley Whiplash-esque villain while claiming Toshiba's approach
> was so much more "consumer-friendly", and that if Blu won, it'd "kill
> the industry".
>
> Funny how things turn out when it's all over.

And thanks to the um, *sterling* group-trauma efforts of Blu-Boy,
a.v.dvd is one of nature's last remaining prehistoric plateaus, where
the creatures, defying evolution itself, still talk of "Rootkits", "Beta
Ray" and "Mini-disks"...

....Why, Professor, it's like we've stepped back in time, to a page from
2006!

Derek Janssen (the Society will never believe this!)
(E-Mail Removed)

Robo-man

> And thanks to the um, *sterling* group-trauma efforts of Blu-Boy, a.v.dvd
> is one of nature's last remaining prehistoric plateaus, where the
> creatures, defying evolution itself, still talk of "Rootkits", "Beta Ray"
> and "Mini-disks"...
>
> ...Why, Professor, it's like we've stepped back in time, to a page from
> 2006!
>
> Derek Janssen (the Society will never believe this!)
> (E-Mail Removed)

Speaking of 'back in time'.

Does anybody know (remember) what ever happened to ol 'Palpatine'? The
anti-anamorohic crusader. I wonder if he owns a Plasma TV yet. LOL

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:02:34 -0500, "Robo-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> And thanks to the um, *sterling* group-trauma efforts of Blu-Boy, a.v.dvd
>> is one of nature's last remaining prehistoric plateaus, where the
>> creatures, defying evolution itself, still talk of "Rootkits", "Beta Ray"
>> and "Mini-disks"...
>>
>> ...Why, Professor, it's like we've stepped back in time, to a page from
>> 2006!
>>
>> Derek Janssen (the Society will never believe this!)
>> (E-Mail Removed)

>Speaking of 'back in time'.
>
>Does anybody know (remember) what ever happened to ol 'Palpatine'? The
>anti-anamorohic crusader. I wonder if he owns a Plasma TV yet. LOL

I wonder if Max understands the advantage and "properness" of wide form
factors now. Probably not.

the dog from that film you saw

"Robo-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsDFzj.11508$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Speaking of 'back in time'.
>
> Does anybody know (remember) what ever happened to ol 'Palpatine'? The
> anti-anamorohic crusader. I wonder if he owns a Plasma TV yet. LOL

he changed his name and now trolls a uk group moaning about 'shortscreen' tv
as he calls it.

--
Gareth.

That fly... is your magic wand.

the dog from that film you saw

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Mar 6, 9:53 am, "the dog from that film you saw"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> he changed his name and now trolls a uk group moaning about 'shortscreen'
> tv
> as he calls it.

Really? Same guy, or just similar dimentia?

certainly seems to be - he appeared with the old name and then changed it to
'lord turkey cough' of all things.

--
Gareth.

That fly... is your magic wand.