Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Error message "\\desktop name is not accessible. You might not havepermission..."

Error message "\\desktop name is not accessible. You might not havepermission..."

CT

Hello networking gurus,

My sincerest apologies in advance - this is a long post. I hope it
makes sense. It may be a bit disjointed. And I was a lousy English
class student, too. (hoping the tabbed sentences in this post keep
their formatting)

PLEASE HELP! I'm so overwhelmed and frustrated by all the information
I've been reading. I'm having trouble helping myself because in
reading the many helpful suggestions (found through Google searches),
there are, in most cases, no instructions on _how_ to perform the
suggestions. I desperately need step-by-step hand holding. A check
list of things to check and how to check them would be a blessing.

I've found and successfully corrected a few settings on my computers
in an attempt to set up a simple home network. Thought I was making
some progress, too. Until now. I'm at at a complete loss as to what to
do next to get my network properly working.

Info that may help:
- Desktop: WinXP Professional SP2 (Generic build), ZoneAlarm firewall
& Avast! antivirus reside in the systray.
- Laptop: WinXP Media Center Edition SP2(Professional?) (HP Compaq
Presario), ZoneAlarm firewall & Avast! antivirus reside in the
systray.
- Linksys WRT54GX2 router.

Both computer's ZoneAlarm firewalls have been configured with an IP
address range to allow access. Each has a different name for the range
(think I read somewhere that this should be done, but don't know
why).

I'm the admin on both computers. Guest accounts on both computers are
enabled (don't know why that matters). User names are (now) the same
on both computers. I've never seen a window asking for a password, on
either computer. The laptop has two users, myself and my husband. The
desktop has one user, myself.

History:
Back in January 2007 I tried to set up a home network. Successfully
connected both computers to the internet with a little help from
Linksys. Attempted to set up printer and file sharing. After a ton of
reading and many failed attempts, I gave up in frustration. :-
( (don't recall if I initially used the Network Setup Wizard and
wondering if I should do so now and risk losing what does work)

Current brain status:
MUSH

Current network status:
Desktop and laptop are connected to the internet via a Linksys
WRT54GX2 router. The desktop is wired to the router. The laptop is
connected wirelessly. The desktop can see shared folders on, and save
files to, the laptop. The laptop cannot do this with the desktop.
Details on this follow below.

Yesterday's achievement (Yay!):
Two printers directly connected to the desktop can now be printed to
by the laptop (wirelessly). I'd followed the instructions here:
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/sharing12.htm . I haven't
tried printing to the laptop from the desktop because I don't need
that capability, but it would most likely work.

I then followed the instructions for file sharing here (though I did
not "make the shared folder into a drive letter"):
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/sharing13.htm But, I'm not
sure if I'm doing it correctly. I'd figured this procedure would be as
easy as setting up printer sharing. Ha! Something isn't right.

Now at first, I thought the network setup was successful because I'm
able to print to the two printers, and the desktop can see folders on,
and save files to, the laptop. ...

However, the folder hierarchy on the computers doesn't look right to
me.(?) In My Network Places on both computers, there is a separate
folder for each computer, namely Mshome and Workgroup.

Example:

-My Network Places
-Entire Network
-Microsoft Windows Network
-Mshome
<desktop computer name>
-Workgroup
<laptop computer name>

Is this right? I keep reading that I'm supposed to make sure that both
computers are on the same workgroup, but I don't understand how to
accomplish this. I can't even recall how I managed to get the laptop
listed under "Workgroup" (through using a Wizard maybe?). Remember, my
brain is mush.

The other thing that has me stumped is that on the laptop, I cannot
access the desktop computer under

-Mshome
<desktop computer name>

When I click on it I get the ol' message:

X "\\desktop name is not accessible. You might not have permission to
use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."

So, as the admin, how do I "not have permission to use this network
resource"? And, how do I give myself permission. Windows help file
didn't enlighten me. On both computers, under My Computer > Manage >
Local Users and Groups > Groups > Administrators > Properties, my user
name is listed. Not much of a name either: Intel Gamer. Would
like to fix this some other day...

Also (on the laptop), when I follow the file sharing instructions
mentioned above (http://www.howtonetworking.com/Networking/
sharing13.htm) and in the address bar, type in the share name \
\computer name\folder, the folder appears as a subfolder under "Entire
Network", not under

-Mshome
<desktop computer name>

(as it should be?)

But, I'm able to see the shared desktop folder and successfully drag
files to/from it. However, I cannot SAVE files directly to that
folder.

Also (on the laptop), the shared folder will then disappear when
either computer is put to sleep, etc., and to gain access to it I
must, again, at My network Places, type in \\computer name\folder. It
seems I have a quasi network.

Now, I did several Google searches for the error message "\\desktop
name is not accessible..." and find a LOT of posts from people
experiencing this problem. I see a LOT of links being given and
helpful suggestions made. I've read the information at the web links,
but the suggestions state what to do not _how_ to do it. The web pages
with tech support "forms" one fills out to get an automated answer
baffle me and I'm unable to input anything useful in order to get a
solution. I need step by step hand-holding.

For instance, one suggestion is to make sure the "computers are on the
same workgroup". But I don't know what this means, or where to look to
see if they are, and how to correct it.

I've spent hours putting this post together. I pray it helps you to
help me.

Cheryl (who is now going back to reading and tinkering)

CT

On Mar 4, 6:45 pm, CT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Example:
>
> -My Network Places
> -Entire Network
> -Microsoft Windows Network
> -Mshome
> <desktop computer name>
> -Workgroup
> <laptop computer name>

Update:

Well, I figured if I shut down/turn on everything, maybe this would
fix something. But now it's just weird.

On the laptop, I can no longer see, under Microsoft Windows Network:

-Mshome
<desktop computer name>

But, when I "search for computers", it finds the desktop and shows it
in folder Mshome. At My Network Places, if I type \\computer name
\folder in the address bar, it adds \\computer name\folder under
Entire Network and I can access the folder.

This is entirely too frustrating for me. Either I'm just going to
admit defeat and give up being able to share files, or I'll call in an
expert to set it up for me. Sheeesh!

Does anyone at all have a simple solution to the mystery? This
shouldn't be so difficult. What am I missing?

Thank you for patiently reading my posts. I'm sure you've read of this
situation a thousand times.

Cheryl (getting ready to throw in the towel)

CT

On Mar 4, 9:13 pm, CT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 4, 6:45 pm, CT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Answering myself again.

"Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network
settings,

http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html "

I just discovered this link after reading more posts here. Maybe it
will help. Too tired now, will look at it in the morning. Oh wait, it
IS morning...

Cheryl

Don Phillipson

"CT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> PLEASE HELP! I'm so overwhelmed and frustrated by all the information
> I've been reading.

(Approx. 100 lines of extraneous matter deleted)
> I keep reading that I'm supposed to make sure that both
> computers are on the same workgroup, but I don't understand how to
> accomplish this. I can't even recall how I managed to get the laptop
> listed under "Workgroup" (through using a Wizard maybe?).

1. Remove all networks
2. Write down the workgroup name of computer A,
as shown via / control panel / system
3. On computer B, run the Network Wizard.
3b. When prompted, input the same workgroup name.
3c. As last step, make a NETSETUP floppy.
4. Run NETSETUP on computer A.

> When I click on it I get the ol' message:
>
> X "\\desktop name is not accessible. You might not have permission to
> use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
> find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."
>
> So, as the admin, how do I "not have permission to use this network
> resource"? And, how do I give myself permission.

The key word is SHARE, explained in on-line help. You have to
assign the other computer (or at least one of its folders) for
FILE SHARING.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

CT

On Mar 5, 1:55 pm, "Don Phillipson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "CT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > PLEASE HELP! I'm so overwhelmed and frustrated by all the information
> > I've been reading.

> (Approx. 100 lines of extraneous matter deleted)
>
> > I keep reading that I'm supposed to make sure that both
> > computers are on the same workgroup, but I don't understand how to
> > accomplish this. I can't even recall how I managed to get the laptop
> > listed under "Workgroup" (through using a Wizard maybe?).

> 1. Remove all networks
> 2. Write down the workgroup name of computer A,
> as shown via / control panel / system
> 3. On computer B, run the Network Wizard.
> 3b. When prompted, input the same workgroup name.
> 3c. As last step, make a NETSETUP floppy.
> 4. Run NETSETUP on computer A.
>
> > When I click on it I get the ol' message:

> > X "\\desktop name is not accessible. You might not have permission to
> > use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
> > find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied."

> > So, as the admin, how do I "not have permission to use this network
> > resource"? And, how do I give myself permission.

> The key word is SHARE, explained in on-line help. You have to
> assign the other computer (or at least one of its folders) for
> FILE SHARING.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Thank you so much, Don, for your kind help.

So, I'm starting from scratch setting up the network again? I may be
confusing setting up an internet connection with setting up a home
network. Your instructions deal only with setting up the network,
correct? I'm concerned about losing my internet connection. Will it be
affected by removing the networks? If so, and I get stuck, how will I
get back here for further help?

I want to be sure I understand you correctly:

1. Am I to remove all networks on _both_ computers or just the laptop?
The desktop Network Connections shows only a Local Area Connection
icon (the icon is a simple T connector - no monitors), Status shows
it's connected 100 Mbps. The laptop Network Connections shows three
icons: 1394 Connection (Disabled); Local Area Connection (Disabled);
Wireless Network Connection 2 (Connected) Broadcom 802.11b WLAN)

1b. By "remove" do you mean delete?

2. Does Computer A denote the desktop that is wired to the Linksys
router and Computer B the laptop I
want to connect wirelessly? Computer A's workgroup name is MSHOME.

3. Under Network and Internet Connections there are many choices. The
pertinent ones are:

o. Set up or change your internet connection (launches Internet
Properties-Setup window, which I don't want);

o. Set up or change your home or small office network (launches
Network Setup Wizard, not sure if this is what I want);

o. Set up a wireless network for a home or small office (launches
Wireless Network Setup Wizard, not sure if this is what I want).

Also, under Network Connections there is a sidebar with Network Tasks,
one of which is "Create a new connection". Clicking this brings up a
New Connection Wizard.

Very confusing.

3c. Will the (to be determined) Wizard tell me to make a NETSETUP
floppy? Or must I find out where to do this?

A floppy? Both computers are fairly new.

Desktop - shop built: DVD_RW; CD-ROM (56); Iomega Zip; and 3.5" floppy
drive.
Laptop - Presario : DVD/CD-ROM drive and access to a portable USB
Iomega Zip drive.

Will a CD-R do?

I truly appreciate your taking the time to help me. Thank you!

(I apologize for being too simplistic)

Cheryl

CT

On Mar 5, 1:55 pm, "Don Phillipson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 1. Remove all networks
> 2. Write down the workgroup name of computer A,
> as shown via / control panel / system
> 3. On computer B, run the Network Wizard.
> 3b. When prompted, input the same workgroup name.
> 3c. As last step, make a NETSETUP floppy.
> 4. Run NETSETUP on computer A.

> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Sorry, Don, it seems your answer has raised more questions!

I forgot to ask:

If I'm starting the home network from scratch, will it be necessary to
tell the (to be determined) Wizard what security setting to use? For
instance, the Linksys WRT54GX2 router is currently set to WPA/WPA2
Personal, WPA is enabled, WPA2 is disabled. (I know both computers
need to be set the same - how to do this?).

I have no qualms about entering the router's setup page online to make
changes. I'd like to increase my security settings. How do I find the
highest security setting that can be used on each computer? After
finding this out, I suppose changing it in the router should come
before setting up the network, or does it not matter? Regarding
network security, where do passwords come into play, and how do I set
them up?

Also, I want to change the computer names and the user names to
something more meaningful, wouldn't this be the best time to do it?
_Before_ setting up the home network? (already know where/how to do
this)

Thanks again for your time and patience with me.

(believe it or not, I don't drink coffee, I'm just overtired...)
Cheryl

Jim

"CT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mar 5, 1:55 pm, "Don Phillipson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> 1. Remove all networks
>> 2. Write down the workgroup name of computer A,
>> as shown via / control panel / system
>> 3. On computer B, run the Network Wizard.
>> 3b. When prompted, input the same workgroup name.
>> 3c. As last step, make a NETSETUP floppy.
>> 4. Run NETSETUP on computer A.

>> --
>> Don Phillipson
>> Carlsbad Springs
>> (Ottawa, Canada)

> Sorry, Don, it seems your answer has raised more questions!
>
> I forgot to ask:
>
> If I'm starting the home network from scratch, will it be necessary to
> tell the (to be determined) Wizard what security setting to use? For
> instance, the Linksys WRT54GX2 router is currently set to WPA/WPA2
> Personal, WPA is enabled, WPA2 is disabled. (I know both computers
> need to be set the same - how to do this?).
>
> I have no qualms about entering the router's setup page online to make
> changes. I'd like to increase my security settings. How do I find the
> highest security setting that can be used on each computer? After
> finding this out, I suppose changing it in the router should come
> before setting up the network, or does it not matter? Regarding
> network security, where do passwords come into play, and how do I set
> them up?
>
> Also, I want to change the computer names and the user names to
> something more meaningful, wouldn't this be the best time to do it?
> _Before_ setting up the home network? (already know where/how to do
> this)
>
> Thanks again for your time and patience with me.
>
> (believe it or not, I don't drink coffee, I'm just overtired...)
> Cheryl

You need to understand that there are two networks involved. The first one
(aka WAN) exists between your router and your isp.
The second (aka LAN) exists between your router and your computers. You do
not setup the WAN other than furnishing a username and password
which your router uses to login to the WAN.

What we are discussing is how to setup the LAN. When Don said "remove all
networks", he meant removing the LAN from all of your computers.

Having done that, you first run the Network Setup Wizard on one of the
computers. During the process of executing this wizard, it will ask you if
you wish to
create a setup floppy. You certainly do. You take this floppy over to each
of the rest of your computers, and run the program that the wizard created.
This
setujp floppy insures that the basic parts of the network are setup
consistently.

If you are using wireless, then you setup the wireless settings on your
router. This setup includes the security method and the security key. You
must remember this key.
It also asks for the network name (which is used by the computers to select
which router they need to a

Then you go to each of the wireless computers and execute the Wireless
Network Setup Wizard. It will ask for the security method and the key. All
computers must
use the same method and the same key as the router.

When D

Jim

OOPs, forget about my prior post. I intended to delete it, but hit the
wrong key.

Cheryl:
It would seem that your problem is inconsistent security keys. However, at
this point, I agree that you need to start from a clean slate.
Whatever changes you make to the local network have no effect on the network
between your router and your ISP.
Jim
news:53Jzj.11577$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> if you wish to
> create a setup floppy. You certainly do. You take this floppy over to
> each of the rest of your computers, and run the program that the wizard
> created. This
> setujp floppy insures that the basic parts of the network are setup
> consistently.
>
> If you are using wireless, then you setup the wireless settings on your
> router. This setup includes the security method and the security key.
> You must remember this key.
> It also asks for the network name (which is used by the computers to
> select which router they need to a
>
> Then you go to each of the wireless computers and execute the Wireless
> Network Setup Wizard. It will ask for the security method and the key.
> All computers must
> use the same method and the same key as the router.

CT

On Mar 5, 10:04 pm, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> OOPs, forget about my prior post. I intended to delete it, but hit the
> wrong key.
>
> Cheryl:
> It would seem that your problem is inconsistent security keys. However, at
> this point, I agree that you need to start from a clean slate.
> Whatever changes you make to the local network have no effect on the network
> between your router and your ISP.
> Jim"Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Thanks for responding Jim,

I've been reading Windows Help regarding home networking and file
sharing, Learned a bit more. But, I still don't feel confident enough
to delete anything.

Since reading your reply it's apparent I need to delete (or
uninstall??) the WLAN icon on the laptop. But, should the desktop's
only icon be deleted as well? It's a Local Area Connection. The icon
shows a simple T connector - no monitors - and the status shows it's
connected at 100 Mbps. I'm guessing "Yes", since I'm re-building the
network from the bottom up. Tell me I know what I'm doing please.

No offense, but I was hoping a MVP or two would pipe in with the
answers to my (undeniably) long list of questions and perhaps offer
some assurances. At this point, just knowing which icons to delete on
each computer will propel me to start the process Don suggested:

1. Remove all networks
(HOW? Delete or ?? and WHICH ICONS?)
2. Write down the workgroup name of computer A,
as shown via / control panel / system
3. On computer B, run the Network Wizard.
3b. When prompted, input the same workgroup name.
3c. As last step, make a NETSETUP floppy.
4. Run NETSETUP on computer A. if I know which icons to delete

Being disabled, when confined to bed, I rely on the laptop to continue
my work. I really need this network up and running soon.

Again, I very much appreciate your taking time from your busy schedule
to respond to my insecurities!

Cheers!
Cheryl

CT

I didn't proof read well enough. Please ignore this line "if I know
which icons to delete" which appears after

4. Run NETSETUP on computer A.

Cheryl