Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > VHDL > Blast from the past

Blast from the past

CTSportPilot

I came across an ADF (Altera Desgn Format) file from an Altera EPLD.
Does anyone out there know of a syntax primer on this dead HDL
format? For those playing at home, this is an HDL from Altera that
came with the A+PLUS software. Yes, I can convert it to more modern
formats, but first I need to understand it.

TIA!

jtw

It's probably been over 20 years since I've used Aplus--was it 1984, or
1985?

If you can post a snippet of the code, perhaps someone can translate?

JTW

"CTSportPilot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I came across an ADF (Altera Desgn Format) file from an Altera EPLD.
> Does anyone out there know of a syntax primer on this dead HDL
> format? For those playing at home, this is an HDL from Altera that
> came with the A+PLUS software. Yes, I can convert it to more modern
> formats, but first I need to understand it.
>
> TIA!

jtw

You might want to also crosspost to comp.arch.fpga.

"jtw" <wrightjt @hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
news:L9pzj.14674$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> It's probably been over 20 years since I've used Aplus--was it 1984, or
> 1985?
>
> If you can post a snippet of the code, perhaps someone can translate?
>
> JTW
>
> "CTSportPilot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I came across an ADF (Altera Desgn Format) file from an Altera EPLD.
>> Does anyone out there know of a syntax primer on this dead HDL
>> format? For those playing at home, this is an HDL from Altera that
>> came with the A+PLUS software. Yes, I can convert it to more modern
>> formats, but first I need to understand it.
>>
>> TIA!

Dejan

"jtw" <wrightjt @hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
news:8bpzj.14675$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> You might want to also crosspost to comp.arch.fpga.
>

> "jtw" <wrightjt @hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
> news:L9pzj.14674$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>> It's probably been over 20 years since I've used Aplus--was it 1984, or 1985?
>>
>> If you can post a snippet of the code, perhaps someone can translate?
>>
>> JTW
>>
>> "CTSportPilot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I came across an ADF (Altera Desgn Format) file from an Altera EPLD.
>>> Does anyone out there know of a syntax primer on this dead HDL
>>> format? For those playing at home, this is an HDL from Altera that
>>> came with the A+PLUS software. Yes, I can convert it to more modern
>>> formats, but first I need to understand it.
>>>
>>> TIA!

If you only want to use ADF files in Quartus, here is description of the whole conversion
procedure (that involves MaxPlus-II too)

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/so...012007_34.html

For total re-write, I've got no idea

regards

Dejan

CTSportPilot

I saw this, but it doesn't tell how to understand the code. There's
all sorst of strange constructs like:

OUTPUT = NORF(OUTPUT.d, SYSCLK, RESET, GND)

Which I assume is a DFF with a preset and clear, but I can't be sure
unless I have documentation.

There are other constructs like:
X = RORF()
X = COCF()
X = RONF()
X = CONF()

There are also logic equations

X.d = !Y & Z
# Q

Which I assume is X.d = ((not Y) and Z) or Q algebraically.

On Mar 5, 6:21*pm, "Dejan" <_remove_dejan@_remove_dilogic.hr> wrote:
> "jtw" <wrightjt @hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
>
> news:8bpzj.14675$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> > You might want to also crosspost to comp.arch.fpga.

> If you only want to use ADF files in Quartus, here is description of the whole conversion
> procedure (that involves MaxPlus-II too)
>
> http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/so...012007_34.html
>
> For total re-write, I've got no idea
>
> regards
>
> Dejan- Hide quoted text -

John_H

On Mar 6, 7:54*am, CTSportPilot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I saw this, but it doesn't tell how to understand the code. *There's
> all sorst of strange constructs like:
>
> OUTPUT = NORF(OUTPUT.d, SYSCLK, RESET, GND)
>
> Which I assume is a DFF with a preset and clear, but I can't be sure
> unless I have documentation.
>
> There are other constructs like:
> X = RORF()
> X = COCF()
> X = RONF()
> X = CONF()
>
> There are also logic equations
>
> X.d = !Y & Z
> * * * *# Q
>
> Which I assume is X.d = ((not Y) and Z) or Q algebraically.
>
> On Mar 5, 6:21*pm, "Dejan" <_remove_dejan@_remove_dilogic.hr> wrote:
>

> > "jtw" <wrightjt @hotmail.invalid> wrote in message

> >news:8bpzj.14675$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> > > You might want to also crosspost to comp.arch.fpga.

> > If you only want to use ADF files in Quartus, here is description of the whole conversion
> > procedure (that involves MaxPlus-II too)

> >http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/so...012007_34.html

> > For total re-write, I've got no idea

> > regards

> > Dejan- Hide quoted text -

The macrocells in the Altera CPLDs are registers with or without
feedback and even with or without a direct output. I believe these
primitives are for the output select from the logic and the register.

While the NORF() with the list is similar to ordered lists in other
languages, you'd need a list of primitives to understand precisely
what each entry is. In the case of the NORF, by inspection the first
entry is the output connected to the D input of a declared register
such as a DFFE (D flip-flop with enable). The ports on declared items
are referred to by NAME.port and here, again, the primitive
definitions tell you precise syntax.

I think the language allows both forms - declared elements as well as
the ordered-list function form - such that the NORF could have been
declared in a primitive list and the connections referred to as
NAME.o, NAME.clk, NAME.rst and NAME.clr.

I cut my teeth on AHDL in 1988 and haven't used it in well over a
decade.

If you have other specifics, air them. If I can't recall, I have
another engineer here that declares AHDL as one of his competencies.

- John_H (from comp.arch.fpga)

KJ

On Mar 6, 10:54*am, CTSportPilot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I saw this, but it doesn't tell how to understand the code. *There's
> all sorst of strange constructs like:
>
> OUTPUT = NORF(OUTPUT.d, SYSCLK, RESET, GND)
>
> Which I assume is a DFF with a preset and clear, but I can't be sure
> unless I have documentation.
>
> There are other constructs like:
> X = RORF()
> X = COCF()
> X = RONF()
> X = CONF()
>
> There are also logic equations
>
> X.d = !Y & Z
> * * * *# Q
>
> Which I assume is X.d = ((not Y) and Z) or Q algebraically.
>
> On Mar 5, 6:21*pm, "Dejan" <_remove_dejan@_remove_dilogic.hr> wrote:
>

> > "jtw" <wrightjt @hotmail.invalid> wrote in message

> >news:8bpzj.14675$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> > > You might want to also crosspost to comp.arch.fpga.

> > If you only want to use ADF files in Quartus, here is description of the whole conversion
> > procedure (that involves MaxPlus-II too)

> >http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/so...012007_34.html

> > For total re-write, I've got no idea

> > regards

> > Dejan- Hide quoted text -

Googling for "Altera+NORF"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Altera+NORF

The first link came up the following PDF file from Texas A&M which
might give you some more clues.

http://courses.cs.tamu.edu/rgutier/c...ra_handout.pdf

Page 14 says that NORF=No output registered feedback,
CONF=Combinatorial output, no feedback. Page 17 lists RONF, nothing
on COCF, but based on what it has I would expect it to be a
combinatorial output with combinatorial feedback.

The next few Google link are to
"The Church Heraldry of Norfolk: A Description of All Coats of Arms"
"JSTOR: Violence and the Exercise of Feudal Guardianship"
"Sir Robert Lovett of Liscombe"

So I think the pickings are rather slim on this niche. Happy
sleuthing.

Kevin Jennings

CTSportPilot

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! This at least gets me
most of the way there.

I tried googling "norf", but didn't try the combination with Altera.
Thanks!

On Mar 6, 12:17*pm, KJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Googling for "Altera+NORF"http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Altera+NORF
>
> The first link came up the following PDF file from Texas A&M which
> might give you some more clues.
>
> http://courses.cs.tamu.edu/rgutier/c...ra_handout.pdf
>
> Page 14 says that NORF=No output registered feedback,
> CONF=Combinatorial output, no feedback. *Page 17 lists RONF, nothing
> on COCF, but based on what it has I would expect it to be a
> combinatorial output with combinatorial feedback.
>
> The next few Google link are to
> "The Church Heraldry of Norfolk: A Description of All Coats of Arms"
> "JSTOR: Violence and the Exercise of Feudal Guardianship"
> "Sir Robert Lovett of Liscombe"
>
> So I think the pickings are rather slim on this niche. *Happy
> sleuthing.
>
> Kevin Jennings- Hide quoted text -

Jim Granville

CTSportPilot wrote:
> I saw this, but it doesn't tell how to understand the code. There's
> all sorst of strange constructs like:
>
> OUTPUT = NORF(OUTPUT.d, SYSCLK, RESET, GND)
>
> Which I assume is a DFF with a preset and clear, but I can't be sure
> unless I have documentation.
>
> There are other constructs like:
> X = RORF()
> X = COCF()
> X = RONF()
> X = CONF()
>
> There are also logic equations
>
> X.d = !Y & Z
> # Q
>
> Which I assume is X.d = ((not Y) and Z) or Q algebraically.

What is the device, and do you have any fitter map/report files,
or only the source code ?.

The link given earlier uses MAX+II as a stepping stone, to convert
ADF to tdo to TDF

Boolean Eqn porting should be relatively easy, often that
support is still in the tool flows.
Device specific configs would need some work.

-jg

CTSportPilot

I finally recieved a reference manual from Altera about the syntax of
ADF. (Although it lacks truth tables, which forces me to make some
assumptions) If any one needs a copy of this, let me know.

One thing I saw was that the T flip flops have inputs. Why?!?