Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Blinking cursor in webpages

Blinking cursor in webpages

Ryetronics

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.12 (Build 2008020121) and in the last few
weeks I've noticed a blinking cursor will pop up on a webpage wherever
I click my mouse. It looks just like a cursor in MS Word, where you
can insert text, but obviously you can't on the page. I'll even get a
GIGANTIC cursor on the side of a frame that's quite long (i.e., in a
forum when clicked on the void space outside the main forum frame).

It's only a mild annoyance, but I found it odd enough to post
about.

Anyone know what's going on?

Rom

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:10:19 -0800 (PST), Ryetronics wrote:

> I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.12 (Build 2008020121) and in the last few
> weeks I've noticed a blinking cursor will pop up on a webpage wherever
> I click my mouse. It looks just like a cursor in MS Word, where you
> can insert text, but obviously you can't on the page. I'll even get a
> GIGANTIC cursor on the side of a frame that's quite long (i.e., in a
> forum when clicked on the void space outside the main forum frame).
>
> It's only a mild annoyance, but I found it odd enough to post
> about.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?

In Firefox go to Tools > Options > Advanced > General tab
--Accessibility--
[?]Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages

The F7 key can turn the Caret Browsing on or off, with an optional
warning dialog to display or not.

Also, if you type about:config in the location bar and press Enter,
then type caret in the filter bar you should see these prefs:

accessibility.browsewithcaret
accessibility.warn_on_browsewithcaret

The first one is the one above in Options, and second one is for the
warning dialog to show or not. Double-clicking the prefs to change the
value, or use Reset on the context menu to get back to the defaults.
--
Rom

Ryetronics

On Mar 5, 1:44 am, Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:10:19 -0800 (PST), Ryetronics wrote:
> > I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.12 (Build 2008020121) and in the last few
> > weeks I've noticed a blinking cursor will pop up on a webpage wherever
> > I click my mouse. It looks just like a cursor in MS Word, where you
> > can insert text, but obviously you can't on the page. I'll even get a
> > GIGANTIC cursor on the side of a frame that's quite long (i.e., in a
> > forum when clicked on the void space outside the main forum frame).

> > It's only a mild annoyance, but I found it odd enough to post
> > about.

> > Anyone know what's going on?

> In Firefox go to Tools > Options > Advanced > General tab
> --Accessibility--
> [?]Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages
>
> The F7 key can turn the Caret Browsing on or off, with an optional
> warning dialog to display or not.
>
> Also, if you type about:config in the location bar and press Enter,
> then type caret in the filter bar you should see these prefs:
>
> accessibility.browsewithcaret
> accessibility.warn_on_browsewithcaret
>
> The first one is the one above in Options, and second one is for the
> warning dialog to show or not. Double-clicking the prefs to change the
> value, or use Reset on the context menu to get back to the defaults.
> --
> Rom

It was the Caret Browsing that needed turning off. Thanks for your
help!