Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: HP XP in boot loop - Fix-It 8 - MSFT vs HP XP cd's

Re: HP XP in boot loop - Fix-It 8 - MSFT vs HP XP cd's

- Bobb -

Top posting - Final result:

After putting the laptop's drive in an external USB case on a desktop box
as a secondary drive, when XP booted (its own IDE drive) on the desktop
PC, it saw problems with the laptop drive, "fixed them" and after the
repair all is well with the drive.
I backed it up and put it back into laptop and booted fine / all files
folders as they were.

I'm still unclear as to why " restoring the disk to a previous backup
point" was never an option for me ( as with the old Quickrestore on Compaq
boxes) and only " restore to factory settings" was ever displayed, but
I'll investigate and report back.

Thanks to all.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> the
>> possibility of being able to clone the drive afterwards, saving a
>> serious amount
>> of time reinstalling all the software. Of course, if the repairs fail,
>> some
>> time is lost, but small in relation to the usual reloading etc of
>> Windows and
>> all apps.
>>
>> I've succeed a few times at this, enough to make me want to try it
>> again and
>> again. In one instance, the failing drive was cloned perfectly and the
>> system
>> booted up perfectly without loss of data and with corrupted software
>> EXCEPT for
>> a single icon on the desktop, easily re-created... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 18:34:14 GMT, "William R. Walsh"
>> <(E-Mail Removed) m> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi!
>>>
>>>First, follow Ben Myers' advice to test the hard drive. If it tests
>>>good,
>>>you're looking at what is now a screwed up installation of Windows XP.
>>>wouldn't even bother repairing it, especially if you have the data. You
>>>need
>>>to do a fresh installation at this point. Do not bother to repair the
>>>old
>>>installation. It will not work.
>>>
>>>If you have the HP restoration DVDs/CDs, just use them. They will put
>>>all
>>>the preloaded applications back as they go.
>>>
>>>1. Start the system and enter setup. It will tell you what key to push
>>>after
>>>you turn the computer on. Look for a "boot order" or similar column.
>>>Make
>>>sure the computer is set to try and start from CD-ROM first.
>>>
>>>2. Put in the first recovery CD that came with the computer. Save the
>>>settings, exit setup and let the computer restart itself.
>>>
>>>3. If prompted, press a key to run setup or start the recovery process.
>>>
>>>4. If asked to keep any data, repair your windows installation or do
>>>anything similar, don't. Choose to format the hard drive and do not
>>>repair
>>>Windows.
>>>
>>>5. Follow the instructions on screen. Sit back and watch, or go do
>>>something
>>>interesting for a while.
>>>
>>>6. Put your documents and files back on the computer. Don't copy
>>>programs or
>>>anything like that...just get your data files.
>>>
>>>7. To help prevent this from happening again, head into the device
>>>manager
>>>when your computer is up and running. Find your hard drive, double
>>>click it
>>>and choose the Disk Properties tab. Remove the check mark from "Write
>>>cache
>>>enabled". This will allow Windows XP to handle having its disk work
>>>interrupted by an unexpected power down or crash.

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
- Bobb - typed on Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:47:43 -0500:
> Top posting - Final result:
>
> After putting the laptop's drive in an external USB case on a desktop
> box as a secondary drive, when XP booted (its own IDE drive) on the
> desktop PC, it saw problems with the laptop drive, "fixed them" and
> after the repair all is well with the drive.
> I backed it up and put it back into laptop and booted fine / all files
> folders as they were.
>
> I'm still unclear as to why " restoring the disk to a previous backup
> point" was never an option for me ( as with the old Quickrestore on
> Compaq boxes) and only " restore to factory settings" was ever
> displayed, but I'll investigate and report back.
>
> Thanks to all.

OEM versions of Windows XP does not contain any repair Windows option.
At least I have never seen one anyway. Only the retail version of
Windows XP does. OEM versions of Windows 2000 does contain the repair
option from the ones I have seen though.

--
Bill

- Bobb -

Bill,
Do you know ...
Could I use retail version of Windows XP to REPAIR an OEM install ?
I didn't try it, just asking to see if you know, 'cuz I think it MIGHT
have worked.
Thanks

"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47cd8db2$0$1341$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> - Bobb - typed on Tue, 4 Mar 2008 07:47:43 -0500:
>> Top posting - Final result:
>>
>> After putting the laptop's drive in an external USB case on a desktop
>> box as a secondary drive, when XP booted (its own IDE drive) on the
>> desktop PC, it saw problems with the laptop drive, "fixed them" and
>> after the repair all is well with the drive.
>> I backed it up and put it back into laptop and booted fine / all files
>> folders as they were.
>>
>> I'm still unclear as to why " restoring the disk to a previous backup
>> point" was never an option for me ( as with the old Quickrestore on
>> Compaq boxes) and only " restore to factory settings" was ever
>> displayed, but I'll investigate and report back.
>>
>> Thanks to all.

> OEM versions of Windows XP does not contain any repair Windows option.
> At least I have never seen one anyway. Only the retail version of
> Windows XP does. OEM versions of Windows 2000 does contain the repair
> option from the ones I have seen though.
>
> --
> Bill

Ben Myers

Give it a try. It ought to work.

BTW, Dell's OEM Windows XP install CDs, both Pro and Home, both have the repair
console and the Windows repair menu choice. Dell's XP "restore" CDs are full
everyday Windows install CDs with minor differences from the OEM version bought
from a distributor... Ben Myers