Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > new MB - vmp54g no network

new MB - vmp54g no network

jrbareta

I recently moved to a abit AV8 mb from a Soyo kt333 ultra platinum. I
moved the hard drives to a thermaltake shark case and installed the av8 mb
and transfered linksys vmp54g wireless adapter which was working fine on the
old system.
I now see that when I start the new system there is a yellow ! on the
netword adapter in device manager and an code 10 error. When I reinstall a
driver I can get the adapter to go to ok status, but when I try to start the
wireless I get no networks in range.
Things tried:
stopped wireless 0 - and restarted
moved the wireless card to different PCI slot - no effect
moved the wireless adapter back to original system - works ok
reinstalled drivers - no effect
uninstalled and reinstalled wireless card from device manager - no effect
contacted linksys - no effect

I also have a laptop 3 ft away from the tower - works fine and I can connect
the tower to the vmt54g router thru an ethernet cable - works ok.

I would appreciate any help.

Gavin Hewitt [MSFT]

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what could be causing this problem and it appears that
you've already done quite a bit to fix the issue. Do you have anything else
plugged into the PCI bus? Does the card get detected if you uninstall the
driver and then rescan?

If you were able to successfully install the driver and there are no device
conflicts shown in the device manager then I would suggest trying a program
called NetStumbler that will use your card to scan all the beacons that are
available. I would suggest installing this and seeing if you can detect
anything being beaconed in your area. You can install the program from
http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

If you are able to see beacons in your area then the card and bus are
working properly and we can look at the Zero Configuration Service logs. To
enable tracing do the following

1.. Click Start -> Run and type CMD and press Enter
2.. In the command prompt type "netsh ras set tracing * enable"
3.. Reboot your machine to clean state
4.. Navigate to your %windir%\tracing directory
5.. Include the following log files as attachments in your e-mail
6.. wzctrace.log

1.. To disable tracing follow the above instructions, but type "netsh ras
set tracing * disable" in the command window.

Thanks,
Gavin [MSFT]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...