Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Just started looking at a wee problem, any ideas please?

Just started looking at a wee problem, any ideas please?

thingy

The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.

My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines to
scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba share
on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.

Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker and
a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get it to
the Linux box, then the fun starts.

The trick is going to be to extract the pdf inside the email into a
directory as a file so it is viewable as a pdf....I am assumimg I can
get sendmail to pipe it into an application and spit out the pdf
again....or some such....anybody done something like this?

I know mailman pipes via aliases....so I am assuming I can do something
similar....

eg

"postmaster-problems: "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post postmaster-problems"

So something like

pdf: "|/ghostscript > /directory/$date/filename-n-$timestamp

regards

Thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:

> The trick is going to be to extract the pdf inside the email into a
> directory as a file so it is viewable as a pdf....I am assumimg I can
> get sendmail to pipe it into an application and spit out the pdf
> again....or some such....anybody done something like this?

Yeah, this is easy. In your .forward file, if you have an entry like

| /path/to/executable

the mail-delivery agent will spawn the executable, and feed the mail message
to its standard input.

If the executable is a Python script, it should be able to use something
like the standard "email" package <http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html> to
parse MIME attachments and do what you like with them.

max

the bigger ones ( xerox that is ) will scan to samba share or ftp....

thingy wrote:
> The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.
>
> My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines to
> scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba share
> on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.
>
> Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker and
> a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get it to
> the Linux box, then the fun starts.
>
> The trick is going to be to extract the pdf inside the email into a
> directory as a file so it is viewable as a pdf....I am assumimg I can
> get sendmail to pipe it into an application and spit out the pdf
> again....or some such....anybody done something like this?
>
> I know mailman pipes via aliases....so I am assuming I can do something
> similar....
>
> eg
>
> "postmaster-problems: "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post postmaster-problems"
>
> So something like
>
> pdf: "|/ghostscript > /directory/$date/filename-n-$timestamp
>
> regards
>
> Thing

nh

Dave Taylor

thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> paste to a samba share
> on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.

A Konica Minolta would be able to send it directly into an FTP or Samba
share. I think you might be over complicating your workflow.

--
Ciao, Dave

thingy

max wrote:
> the bigger ones ( xerox that is ) will scan to samba share or ftp....
>

> thingy wrote:
>> The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.
>>
>> My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines to
>> scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba
>> share on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.
>>
>> Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker
>> and a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get it
>> to the Linux box, then the fun starts.
>>
>> The trick is going to be to extract the pdf inside the email into a
>> directory as a file so it is viewable as a pdf....I am assumimg I can
>> get sendmail to pipe it into an application and spit out the pdf
>> again....or some such....anybody done something like this?
>>
>> I know mailman pipes via aliases....so I am assuming I can do
>> something similar....
>>
>> eg
>>
>> "postmaster-problems: "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post
>> postmaster-problems"
>>
>> So something like
>>
>> pdf: "|/ghostscript > /directory/$date/filename-n-$timestamp
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing

> nh

The one we have can only email....

regards

Thing

thingy

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:
>
>> The trick is going to be to extract the pdf inside the email into a
>> directory as a file so it is viewable as a pdf....I am assumimg I can
>> get sendmail to pipe it into an application and spit out the pdf
>> again....or some such....anybody done something like this?

> Yeah, this is easy. In your .forward file, if you have an entry like
>
> | /path/to/executable
>
> the mail-delivery agent will spawn the executable, and feed the mail message
> to its standard input.
>
> If the executable is a Python script, it should be able to use something
> like the standard "email" package <http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html> to
> parse MIME attachments and do what you like with them.

yep....kinda looking for a ready to go addon as opposed to trying to
code something though....

regards

Thing

EMB

thingy wrote:
> The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.
>
> My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines to
> scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba share
> on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.
>
> Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker and
> a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get it to
> the Linux box, then the fun starts.

Well.... I do just this using Outlook on a Windows box. We have an
email address specifically for scans to be sent to and I've just set up
a rule to save all attachments to a specified location when a message is
received. It's an ugly and awful way to do it but it works just fine.

Collector€NZ

EMB wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.
>>
>> My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines to
>> scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba
>> share on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.
>>
>> Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker
>> and a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get it
>> to the Linux box, then the fun starts.

> Well.... I do just this using Outlook on a Windows box. We have an
> email address specifically for scans to be sent to and I've just set up
> a rule to save all attachments to a specified location when a message is
> received. It's an ugly and awful way to do it but it works just fine.

We use DC186, DCC250, DCC320 and so on models, we have ldap set up so
the machine can search the global address book and email the PDF (Via a
mailhost smpt) to anyone. Generally the user mails to themselves and
then fowards from there own maqil account. Works well

thingy

EMB wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> The fun of google is knowing how to ask/phrase the question.
>>
>> My problem is, at the moment users use networked MDF Xerox machines to
>> scan invoices into pdf format which they copy and paste to a samba
>> share on a linux box from a windows workstation, rather cumbersome.
>>
>> Now the Xerox MDF can email the pdf, so ideally it would be quicker
>> and a lot easier to simply email straight from the MDF, easy to get it
>> to the Linux box, then the fun starts.

> Well.... I do just this using Outlook on a Windows box. We have an
> email address specifically for scans to be sent to and I've just set up
> a rule to save all attachments to a specified location when a message is
> received. It's an ugly and awful way to do it but it works just fine.

yep, same here, hence we want to improve it if we can easily.

regards

Thing

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, thingy did write:

> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> If the executable is a Python script, it should be able to use something
>> like the standard "email" package <http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html>
>> to parse MIME attachments and do what you like with them.

> yep....kinda looking for a ready to go addon as opposed to trying to
> code something though....

You could have got an initial Python script working by now.

Just a wee IE problem Duende HTML 22 12-08-2004 08:25 AM
IO Streams... I'm a wee bit confused here - any help appreciated. m.cantaloupe Java 3 05-14-2004 01:46 PM
Just getting started looking into certifications... Marko MCSE 2 07-15-2003 03:19 PM
Re: Just getting started looking into certifications... Lady MCSE 2 07-15-2003 01:33 PM

Advertisments