Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Both wireless and wired together`

Both wireless and wired together`

=?Utf-8?B?UkVORUU=?=

I have a wireless router with two wireless and one extra computer wired into
the back of it (plus mine which is the main, admin computer). Can access
files on both of the wireless computers (running Windows XP Home) and the
one that is wired into the same router can access files. However, although
the other computers can see the files on the wired computer, it says we do
not have persmission to access them. Have given permission and it looks like
they are shared files. Would this have anything to do with the fact that the
wired computer is running Windows XP Professional?

Chuck

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 08:09:10 -0800, "RENEE" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a wireless router with two wireless and one extra computer wired into
>the back of it (plus mine which is the main, admin computer). Can access
>files on both of the wireless computers (running Windows XP Home) and the
>one that is wired into the same router can access files. However, although
>the other computers can see the files on the wired computer, it says we do
>not have persmission to access them. Have given permission and it looks like
>they are shared files. Would this have anything to do with the fact that the
>wired computer is running Windows XP Professional?

Renee,

This could be a Windows XP Home / Pro permissioning issue, but you say you have
given permission. Is Simple File Sharing enabled or disabled on the XP Pro
computer? What OS is your admin computer running?

This could also be a browser conflict between the WinXP computers. I"m not
talking about Internet Explorer here. The browser is the program that allows
any computer to see any other computer on the LAN. For a LAN with 4 computers,
you should have just 2 computers running the browser service.

Make sure the browser service is running on the admin, and the wired, computers.
Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services. Verify that the Computer
Browser, and the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, services both show with Status =
Started. Disable the browser service on the two wireless computers.

After checking / disabling / enabling as above, power all computers off to reset
the browser settings on each. Then power each computer back on.

The Microsoft Browstat program will show us what browsers (I'm not talking about
Internet Explorer here) you have in your domain / workgroup, at any time.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305

You can download Browstat from either:
<http://www.dynawell.com/reskit/microsoft/win2000/browstat.zip>
<http://rescomp.stanford.edu/staff/manual/rcc/tools/browstat.zip>

Browstat is very small (40K), and needs no install. Just unzip the downloaded
file, copy browstat.exe to any folder in the Path, and run it from a command
window, by "browstat status". Make sure all computers list the same master
browser.
For more information about the browser subsystem (very intricate), see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188001
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188305
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=231312
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>