Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Memory interleaving - any benefit on modern PCs?

Memory interleaving - any benefit on modern PCs?

Nighthawk

Just wondering whether to get just a single 2 GB stick DDR2-800 RAM or
would there be a benefit in getting two 1 GB sticks?

On a previous PC with a VIA chipset I loaded a driver that enabled
memory interleaving, not covered in the BIOS, and the benchmarks
showed a 25% improvement.

With the memory controllers being integrated on the Athlon64 X2 CPUs
does anyone know what the story is regarding memory interleaving? Is
enabled by default?

Richard

Nighthawk wrote:
> Just wondering whether to get just a single 2 GB stick DDR2-800 RAM or
> would there be a benefit in getting two 1 GB sticks?
>
> On a previous PC with a VIA chipset I loaded a driver that enabled
> memory interleaving, not covered in the BIOS, and the benchmarks
> showed a 25% improvement.
>
> With the memory controllers being integrated on the Athlon64 X2 CPUs
> does anyone know what the story is regarding memory interleaving? Is
> enabled by default?

Less benifit then the old P4 with its huge memory transfers and the
large disparity between frontside and available ram speed, but still
worth it considering the difference on cost with ddr2 is stuff all.

Why not just chuck 4 gigs in it?

Nighthawk

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:19:33 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nighthawk wrote:
>> Just wondering whether to get just a single 2 GB stick DDR2-800 RAM or
>> would there be a benefit in getting two 1 GB sticks?
>>
>> On a previous PC with a VIA chipset I loaded a driver that enabled
>> memory interleaving, not covered in the BIOS, and the benchmarks
>> showed a 25% improvement.
>>
>> With the memory controllers being integrated on the Athlon64 X2 CPUs
>> does anyone know what the story is regarding memory interleaving? Is
>> enabled by default?

>Less benifit then the old P4 with its huge memory transfers and the
>large disparity between frontside and available ram speed, but still
>worth it considering the difference on cost with ddr2 is stuff all.
>
>Why not just chuck 4 gigs in it?

Building on a budget, not for power user, have to find economies due
to large monitor being purchased. Also 32-bit Windows doesn't use all
of 4 gigs.

impossible

"Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:19:33 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Nighthawk wrote:
>>> Just wondering whether to get just a single 2 GB stick DDR2-800 RAM or
>>> would there be a benefit in getting two 1 GB sticks?
>>>
>>> On a previous PC with a VIA chipset I loaded a driver that enabled
>>> memory interleaving, not covered in the BIOS, and the benchmarks
>>> showed a 25% improvement.
>>>
>>> With the memory controllers being integrated on the Athlon64 X2 CPUs
>>> does anyone know what the story is regarding memory interleaving? Is
>>> enabled by default?

>>Less benifit then the old P4 with its huge memory transfers and the
>>large disparity between frontside and available ram speed, but still
>>worth it considering the difference on cost with ddr2 is stuff all.
>>
>>Why not just chuck 4 gigs in it?

> Building on a budget, not for power user, have to find economies due
> to large monitor being purchased. Also 32-bit Windows doesn't use all
> of 4 gigs.

If your motherboard supports dual-channel technology, then two matched 1Gb
modules would be better than a single 2Gb module -- this effectively doubles
throughput. See, for example,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture.

sam

impossible wrote:
> "Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Less benifit then the old P4 with its huge memory transfers and the
>>> large disparity between frontside and available ram speed, but still
>>> worth it considering the difference on cost with ddr2 is stuff all.
>>>
>>> Why not just chuck 4 gigs in it?

>> Building on a budget, not for power user, have to find economies due
>> to large monitor being purchased. Also 32-bit Windows doesn't use all
>> of 4 gigs.
>>

> If your motherboard supports dual-channel technology, then two matched 1Gb
> modules would be better than a single 2Gb module -- this effectively doubles
> throughput. See, for example,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture.

Hmmmm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-ch...Actual_results

Enkidu

Nighthawk wrote:
> Just wondering whether to get just a single 2 GB stick DDR2-800 RAM or
> would there be a benefit in getting two 1 GB sticks?
>
> On a previous PC with a VIA chipset I loaded a driver that enabled
> memory interleaving, not covered in the BIOS, and the benchmarks
> showed a 25% improvement.
>
> With the memory controllers being integrated on the Athlon64 X2 CPUs
> does anyone know what the story is regarding memory interleaving? Is
> enabled by default?

Really? These guys found no significant difference:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/...ng/page11.html

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

thingy

Nighthawk wrote:
> Just wondering whether to get just a single 2 GB stick DDR2-800 RAM or
> would there be a benefit in getting two 1 GB sticks?
>
> On a previous PC with a VIA chipset I loaded a driver that enabled
> memory interleaving, not covered in the BIOS, and the benchmarks
> showed a 25% improvement.
>
> With the memory controllers being integrated on the Athlon64 X2 CPUs
> does anyone know what the story is regarding memory interleaving? Is
> enabled by default?

I went from a 1 x 1gig and a 1 x 512 to a matched pair of 1s and while
the bios detected the setup and interleaved I cant say I noticed an
improvement.

So if your motherboard supports 2 x 2 (or 4 x 2) sticks and you expect
to run something like vmware so are going to need that large quantity of
ram then go for a 1 x 2 module....if its 32bit XP I'd just get 2 x 1Gigs.

regards

Thing

thingy

impossible wrote:
> "Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Less benifit then the old P4 with its huge memory transfers and the
>>> large disparity between frontside and available ram speed, but still
>>> worth it considering the difference on cost with ddr2 is stuff all.
>>>
>>> Why not just chuck 4 gigs in it?

>> Building on a budget, not for power user, have to find economies due
>> to large monitor being purchased. Also 32-bit Windows doesn't use all
>> of 4 gigs.
>>

> If your motherboard supports dual-channel technology, then two matched 1Gb
> modules would be better than a single 2Gb module -- this effectively doubles
> throughput. See, for example,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture.

The reality is, it seems to make no significant difference, the main
thing is to have just more than enough....2 gig is about right IMHO, its
cheap enough...

regards

Thing

impossible

"sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:47cc5171$(E-Mail Removed)...
> impossible wrote:
>> "Nighthawk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Building on a budget, not for power user, have to find economies due
>>> to large monitor being purchased. Also 32-bit Windows doesn't use all
>>> of 4 gigs.
>>>

>> If your motherboard supports dual-channel technology, then two matched
>> 1Gb modules would be better than a single 2Gb module -- this effectively
>> doubles throughput. See, for example,
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture.

> Hmmmm
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-ch...Actual_results

Yes, if you're running a dual-core E6850 fit with 4mb of L2 cache, then
there's going to be no perceptible difference in performance between
single-channel and dual-channel memeory. Also no perceptible difference on
that machine, apparently, between RAID and non-RAID disk configurations.

Rob Simpson

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:31:32 +0000, impossible propped his eyelids open
with toothpicks and wrote:

> Yes, if you're running a dual-core E6850 fit with 4mb of L2 cache, then
> there's going to be no perceptible difference in performance between
> single-channel and dual-channel memeory. Also no perceptible difference
> on that machine, apparently, between RAID and non-RAID disk
> configurations.

Would it make much difference with the e21* (Allendale) range with 1Mb
cache? (Googling got me nowhere)

--
Rob
There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We