Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JWS not updating

JWS not updating

Lionel van den Berg

I recently updated the main jar file in an application I'm working on at
http://www.tciworks.info/JWS/index.jnlp using JWS, but for some reason
the new jar was not downloaded by default. I didn't think too much of it
at the time but then another user complained about the same thing and had
to launch from the site rather than the desktop shortcut.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what might be going on and if
there is a fix? Or is it by design - I didn't think so.

Thanks

Lionel.

Roedy Green

On 3 Mar 2008 21:18:05 +1100, Lionel van den Berg <(E-Mail Removed)>

>Does anyone have any suggestions about what might be going on and if
>there is a fix? Or is it by design - I didn't think so.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jnlp.html

There are some parms that control when you update. However, I think
this area may still be buggy. I am having a heck of time getting
desktop shortcuts to JWS apps to work.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Sabine Dinis Blochberger

Lionel van den Berg wrote:

> I recently updated the main jar file in an application I'm working on at
> http://www.tciworks.info/JWS/index.jnlp using JWS, but for some reason
> the new jar was not downloaded by default. I didn't think too much of it
> at the time but then another user complained about the same thing and had
> to launch from the site rather than the desktop shortcut.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions about what might be going on and if
> there is a fix? Or is it by design - I didn't think so.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lionel.

I had this problem similar to yours.

My application uses the SingleInstanceService, and as such can only use
background update, like
<update check="background" policy="always" />
.

Because of this, you should specify
<shortcut online="true">

If this is set to offline, it will not check for updates from the
(desktop) shortcut.

Using
<offline-allowed/>
still works. Hope this solves your problem. Also do a force reload of
the page after updating the jnlp (I experienced it helps).
--
Sabine Dinis Blochberger

Op3racional
www.op3racional.eu

Lionel van den Berg

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 10:00:52 +0000, Sabine Dinis Blochberger wrote:

> Lionel van den Berg wrote:
>
>> I recently updated the main jar file in an application I'm working on
>> at http://www.tciworks.info/JWS/index.jnlp using JWS, but for some
>> reason the new jar was not downloaded by default. I didn't think too
>> much of it at the time but then another user complained about the same
>> thing and had to launch from the site rather than the desktop shortcut.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions about what might be going on and if
>> there is a fix? Or is it by design - I didn't think so.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Lionel.

> I had this problem similar to yours.
>
> My application uses the SingleInstanceService, and as such can only use
> background update, like
> <update check="background" policy="always" />
>

> Because of this, you should specify
> <shortcut online="true">
>
> If this is set to offline, it will not check for updates from the
> (desktop) shortcut.
>
> Using
> <offline-allowed/>
> still works. Hope this solves your problem. Also do a force reload of
> the page after updating the jnlp (I experienced it helps).

Thanks to both replies. This looks particularly helpful, will be playing
with it soon .

Updating JTable Atomically - block data changes while updating. news.rcn.com Java 2 12-10-2007 11:49 AM
JWS app does not update. aaronfude@gmail.com Java 4 11-15-2006 03:27 AM
[JWS] How to specify a parameter to a JWS application? BdS Java 0 06-09-2004 09:00 AM
JWS and XML Manish Hatwalne Java 1 09-01-2003 06:48 AM
jws on orion server? Elhanan Maayan Java 4 08-03-2003 04:20 AM

Advertisments