Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Restoring backup files.

Restoring backup files.

Natis

I had to do a back up to my system.
Now I'm trying to restore the files I need using the Backup Utility Wizard,
the Wizard installs the program BUT skips all the files .
The report has:

Restore completed on 3/1/2008 at 10:52 PM.
Directories: 4
Files: 0
Skipped: 13
Time: 6 seconds.

In other words restore was completed but nothing was installed.
Help please,
Natis.

Charlie Russel - MVP

The default is to never overwrite existing files. You should try restoring
to a separate directory and then moving over the files you need. Or change
the options to overwrite.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Natis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had to do a back up to my system.
> Now I'm trying to restore the files I need using the Backup Utility
> Wizard,
> the Wizard installs the program BUT skips all the files .
> The report has:
>
> Restore completed on 3/1/2008 at 10:52 PM.
> Directories: 4
> Files: 0
> Skipped: 13
> Time: 6 seconds.
>
> In other words restore was completed but nothing was installed.
> Help please,
> Natis.

Natis

Thanks Charlie,
What now and how?
What do you mean by "overwrite existing files" ?
Good news is that, "There is hope",
Natis.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> The default is to never overwrite existing files. You should try restoring
> to a separate directory and then moving over the files you need. Or change
> the options to overwrite.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Natis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I had to do a back up to my system.
> > Now I'm trying to restore the files I need using the Backup Utility
> > Wizard,
> > the Wizard installs the program BUT skips all the files .
> > The report has:
> >
> > Restore completed on 3/1/2008 at 10:52 PM.
> > Directories: 4
> > Files: 0
> > Skipped: 13
> > Time: 6 seconds.
> >
> > In other words restore was completed but nothing was installed.
> > Help please,
> > Natis.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I can't give you specific steps, since I don't even know what version of
Windows you're running. This is the 64-bit newsgroup. Are you running
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition? Or Windows Vista 64bit?

Knowing that, we at least have a hope of giving you the specific steps.

Not knowing, I gave you the correct, _general_, information. I would then
expect you to look at the backup / restore program you're using and try
identifying where those options are and how to use them.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Natis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Charlie,
> What now and how?
> What do you mean by "overwrite existing files" ?
> Good news is that, "There is hope",
> Natis.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> The default is to never overwrite existing files. You should try
>> restoring
>> to a separate directory and then moving over the files you need. Or
>> change
>> the options to overwrite.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Natis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I had to do a back up to my system.
>> > Now I'm trying to restore the files I need using the Backup Utility
>> > Wizard,
>> > the Wizard installs the program BUT skips all the files .
>> > The report has:
>> >
>> > Restore completed on 3/1/2008 at 10:52 PM.
>> > Directories: 4
>> > Files: 0
>> > Skipped: 13
>> > Time: 6 seconds.
>> >
>> > In other words restore was completed but nothing was installed.
>> > Help please,
>> > Natis.

Natis

I'm using XP professional Media Center Edition and I'm using the Windows Backup
Wizard.
Natis.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> I can't give you specific steps, since I don't even know what version of
> Windows you're running. This is the 64-bit newsgroup. Are you running
> Windows XP Professional x64 Edition? Or Windows Vista 64bit?
>
> Knowing that, we at least have a hope of giving you the specific steps.
>
> Not knowing, I gave you the correct, _general_, information. I would then
> expect you to look at the backup / restore program you're using and try
> identifying where those options are and how to use them.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Natis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks Charlie,
> > What now and how?
> > What do you mean by "overwrite existing files" ?
> > Good news is that, "There is hope",
> > Natis.
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> The default is to never overwrite existing files. You should try
> >> restoring
> >> to a separate directory and then moving over the files you need. Or
> >> change
> >> the options to overwrite.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >>

> >> "Natis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Ah, as I suspected, not a 64-bit question. This newsgroup is focused on
questions specific to 64-bit Windows. You're likely to do a bit better in
one of the XP specific newsgroups, such as
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, or
microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers. Probably the General newsgroup is the
best fit, since there's no backup specific newsgroup for Windows XP, but
that newsgroup can be a bit daunting.

Having said that, from my memory, the steps would be to start Restore
wizard. Select the source of the files, and the specific files you want to
restore. Then select the destination for the files. Do NOT restore them to
the same location, but instead choose a temporary restore point, something
like "C:\Temp". (If you don't have a C:\temp, just create one first.) Now,
the files should restore to that location, and you can then copy them to
wherever you want them to be.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Natis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using XP professional Media Center Edition and I'm using the Windows
> Backup
> Wizard.
> Natis.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> I can't give you specific steps, since I don't even know what version of
>> Windows you're running. This is the 64-bit newsgroup. Are you running
>> Windows XP Professional x64 Edition? Or Windows Vista 64bit?
>>
>> Knowing that, we at least have a hope of giving you the specific steps.
>>
>> Not knowing, I gave you the correct, _general_, information. I would then
>> expect you to look at the backup / restore program you're using and try
>> identifying where those options are and how to use them.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Natis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Thanks Charlie,
>> > What now and how?
>> > What do you mean by "overwrite existing files" ?
>> > Good news is that, "There is hope",
>> > Natis.

Natis

Thanks Charlie, I'll try that. I can use any help I can get,
Natis.