Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Does Java work on Macintosh ?

Does Java work on Macintosh ?

Mr. X.

Hello,

Does Java work on Macintosh (the Sun's Java),
and what OSs are most populate on Macintosh ?
(I wonder if there is Microsoft OS on Macintosh,
and does it support Suns' Java on that System, since I know Microsoft and
Sun are not friendly-cooperated).

Thanks

Peter Duniho

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 01:21:20 -0800, Mr. X.
<no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:

> Does Java work on Macintosh (the Sun's Java),

Apple has a Java implementation for Macintosh. I don't know what you mean
by "the Sun's Java", but if you've looked at Sun's own website, you'll
notice they don't offer a download for Mac. Apple's implementation might
be based on Sun's, but if that's the case then in my experience they've
added their own bugs to it.

Furthermore, the only way to get Java 1.6 on the Mac is to have the latest
OS X version, Leopard (v10.5). Even then, it's only a beta version of
Apple's 1.6 run-time. On Tiger (v10.4), there's only 1.5 and earlier, and
on Panther (v10.3) there's only 1.4.2 support.

> and what OSs are most populate on Macintosh ?

That seems like a silly question. Obviously, Apple's own OS X is the most
popular OS for the Mac.

> (I wonder if there is Microsoft OS on Macintosh,
> and does it support Suns' Java on that System, since I know Microsoft and
> Sun are not friendly-cooperated).

The Intel Macs can run other operating systems, including Linux and
Windows. Those operating systems run just as they would on any other
computer, so if you've got Java installed, it will work.

Pete

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <fqdrf1$mti$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Mr. X." <no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does Java work on Macintosh (the Sun's Java),
> and what OSs are most populate on Macintosh ?
> (I wonder if there is Microsoft OS on Macintosh,
> and does it support Suns' Java on that System, since I know Microsoft and
> Sun are not friendly-cooperated).
>
> Thanks

Apple's JVM is based on Sun's JVM kit.

All OS X may run 32 bit Java 1.4
OS 10.4 and 10.5 have 32 bit Java 1.5.0_13
OS 10.5 may run a preview of 64 bit Java 1.6.0_04

Apple includes Java APIs to system libraries so no JNI is needed. I
don't know who's using it.

--
I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.

Roedy Green

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 11:21:20 +0200, "Mr. X."
<no_spam_please@nospam_please.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted
someone who said :

>Does Java work on Macintosh (the Sun's Java),
>and what OSs are most populate on Macintosh ?
>(I wonder if there is Microsoft OS on Macintosh,
>and does it support Suns' Java on that System, since I know Microsoft and
>Sun are not friendly-cooperated).

JDK 1.5 but not 1.6
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Java Applet on Macintosh Johnny Java 13 07-09-2007 03:08 PM
Macintosh Widgets from Java Applets Mickey Segal Java 0 08-01-2005 03:35 PM
Adding Apple Macintosh computer to mt network =?Utf-8?B?c2FpbG9yMQ==?= Wireless Networking 3 03-25-2005 09:11 PM
Re: Problem in IE while loading Java Applets on Macintosh OS X Vinu Java 2 12-15-2004 07:47 PM
java, drag-n-drop, and macintosh Blah Blah Java 0 08-20-2003 04:38 AM

Advertisments