Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Talk Talk settings

Talk Talk settings

Vass

I'm going to lend a PC to a mate who has TalkTalk broadband
as his USB modem is already set up, what do I need to put in the network
settings on the loan PC?
DO I really need to install TalkTalk's software to the loan PC?
TIA
--
Vass

Whiskers

On 2008-02-29, Vass <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm going to lend a PC to a mate who has TalkTalk broadband
> as his USB modem is already set up, what do I need to put in the network
> settings on the loan PC?
> DO I really need to install TalkTalk's software to the loan PC?
> TIA

Try starting with the ISP's own instructions:
<http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...erver?article=
MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.HSHUB> or <http://shortlinks.co.uk/hli> for
short.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Vass

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Try starting with the ISP's own instructions:
> <http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...erver?article=
> MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.HSHUB> or <http://shortlinks.co.uk/hli> for

which says "install their software" which I'm loathed to do
anyone else?
--
Vass

Mara

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:29:44 -0000, "Vass" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> Try starting with the ISP's own instructions:
>> <http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...erver?article=
>> MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.HSHUB> or <http://shortlinks.co.uk/hli> for

>which says "install their software" which I'm loathed to do
>anyone else?

It's a loaner. You don't *have* to put *anything* on it. And it's still *your*
machine. If your friend wants to run talktalk, he can wait until he gets his
fixed or he buys a new computer. It's *your* choice.

--
Q. Does Usenet help stamp out ignorance?
A. That depends on whether by `stamp out' you mean `eliminate'

Whiskers

On 2008-02-29, Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:29:44 -0000, "Vass" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Try starting with the ISP's own instructions:
>>> <http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...erver?article=
>>> MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.HSHUB> or <http://shortlinks.co.uk/hli> for

>>which says "install their software" which I'm loathed to do
>>anyone else?

> It's a loaner. You don't *have* to put *anything* on it. And it's still *your*
> machine. If your friend wants to run talktalk, he can wait until he gets his
> fixed or he buys a new computer. It's *your* choice.

I haven't looked in detail at that FAQ but my guess is that replacing the
USB 'modem' (supplied by the ISP?) with a proper 'modem'/router and using
the ethernet connection from the router to the computer, would avoid
needing to install anything on the loaned computer. You would of course
need to know the settings required to get the 'modem'/router working with
the ISP connection, just in case it doesn't 'just work' when it's connected.

<http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...erver?article=
MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.HELPDESK.MAINPAGE&top icSelect=BROADBAND&catSel
ect=Modem&showFAQ=MODEMSETTINGS> or <http://xrl.us/bgxx4> seems to provide
that information.

Once the loaned computer is returned one is going to wipe and reinstall
everything anyway, (even if the lendee does so before returning it) so I
can't see the objection to installing any particular software for the
duration of the loan. Unless one has an aversion to Microsoft or to
multiple re-boots, of course,

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Cub

"Vass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> I'm going to lend a PC to a mate who has TalkTalk broadband
> as his USB modem is already set up, what do I need to put in the network
> settings on the loan PC?
> DO I really need to install TalkTalk's software to the loan PC?
> TIA
> --
> Vass

Put a cheap modem router on put the talk talk setting in that and connect
the loan pc to it via a nic

Gazwad

Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)>, the wizened-floater and heavyset
human-enema who likes intrusive oral sex with tapeworms, and whose
partner is a fallen woman with a dreadful conill, wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:
> On 2008-02-29, Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:29:44 -0000, "Vass"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>which says "install their software" which I'm loathed to do
>>>anyone else?

>> It's a loaner. You don't *have* to put *anything* on it. And it's still
>> *your*
>> machine. If your friend wants to run talktalk, he can wait until he gets
>> his
>> fixed or he buys a new computer. It's *your* choice.

> I haven't looked in detail at that FAQ but my guess is that replacing the
> USB 'modem' (supplied by the ISP?) with a proper 'modem'/router and using
> the ethernet connection from the router to the computer, would avoid
> needing to install anything on the loaned computer. You would of course
> need to know the settings required to get the 'modem'/router working with
> the ISP connection, just in case it doesn't 'just work' when it's
> connected.
>
> <http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/s...erver?article=
> MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.HELPDESK.MAINPAGE&top icSelect=BROADBAND&catSel
> ect=Modem&showFAQ=MODEMSETTINGS> or <http://xrl.us/bgxx4> seems to provide
> that information.
>
> Once the loaned computer is returned one is going to wipe and reinstall
> everything anyway, (even if the lendee does so before returning it) so I
> can't see the objection to installing any particular software for the
> duration of the loan. Unless one has an aversion to Microsoft or to
> multiple re-boots, of course,
>
> --
> -- ^^^^^^^^^^
> -- Whiskers
> -- ~~~~~~~~~~

Talktalk seem to be providing Ethernet connected modems (routers to every
other ****) these days.
Make sure you either image the machine before he ****s it up or if you're
happy to reload don't bother.
Either way nothing needs to be loaded on the machine if he has an Ethernet
connection, if he has a usb modem then lend the daft **** a router.

is but a dream within a dream.

VOIP-Buster nummbers free with Talk-Talk? PavaRodney UK VOIP 4 01-01-2007 12:37 PM
Change to Talk Talk Bob B Wireless Networking 2 08-24-2006 09:19 AM
Skype and Talk Talk Sacred UK VOIP 9 08-01-2006 08:57 PM
Unable to post to talk.origins - but talk.atheism ok Rolf Computer Support 2 04-09-2006 09:48 AM

Advertisments