Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > profiler, again

profiler, again

David Levy

I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am now
running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual Studio 2008
Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just learned that the
profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008 Professional. I would need
to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having been forced to buy an unwanted
new operating system and then an unwanted new development environment, I'm
anxious to stop the bleeding/

Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

Ioannis Vranos

David Levy wrote:
> I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am
> now running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual
> Studio 2008 Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just
> learned that the profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008
> Professional. I would need to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having
> been forced to buy an unwanted new operating system and then an unwanted
> new development environment, I'm anxious to stop the bleeding/
>
> Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

I think they had a managed code profiler available for download in their
site, some time ago. Do you want to profile managed code, native code,
or mixed code?

David Levy

> I think they had a managed code profiler available for download in their
> site, some time ago. Do you want to profile managed code, native code,
> or mixed code?

Native only.

Thanks

Ioannis Vranos

David Levy wrote:
>> I think they had a managed code profiler available for download in
>> their site, some time ago. Do you want to profile managed code, native
>> code, or mixed code?

> Native only.
>
> Thanks

I suppose there are some free ones out there.

Jeff Schwab

David Levy wrote:
> I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am
> now running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual
> Studio 2008 Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just
> learned that the profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008
> Professional. I would need to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having
> been forced to buy an unwanted new operating system and then an unwanted
> new development environment, I'm anxious to stop the bleeding/
>
> Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

Er... Linux? What forced you to buy an unwanted new operating system?

mike3

On Feb 28, 5:23 pm, "David Levy" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am now
> running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual Studio 2008
> Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just learned that the
> profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008 Professional. I would need
> to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having been forced to buy an unwanted
> new operating system and then an unwanted new development environment, I'm
> anxious to stop the bleeding/
>
> Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

How could you possibly even afford a copy of VSTS, anyway?!

Juha Nieminen

David Levy wrote:
> Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

I'm not aware of any free profilers for Windows (Linux would be a
different story).
From the commercial ones, AQtime seems to be a rather good one in my
experience.

Jerry Coffin

In article <kgIxj.3245$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> I am a long time user of Visual C++ 6.0. For a variety of reasons I am now
> running Vista and Visual C++ won't run there. I purchased Visual Studio 2008
> Professional, which included a C++ compiler. Alas, I just learned that the
> profile that shipped with 6.0 is not part of 2008 Professional. I would need
> to buy the Visual Studio Team System. Having been forced to buy an unwanted
> new operating system and then an unwanted new development environment, I'm
> anxious to stop the bleeding/
>
> Are there any other (inexpensive) solutions?

AMD has a free profiler named CodeAnalyst that you might find useful.

http://developer.amd.com/tools/codea...s/default.aspx

As you'd expect, this is oriented primarily for use on AMD processors.
IIRC, it runs to some degree on Intel processors, but with substantial
limitations (though, of course, I can't guarantee that).

--
Later,
Jerry.

Again??? AGAIN???? NYC XYZ Firefox 4 04-23-2006 12:23 PM
HttpSession gets generated again and again!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!! che Java 2 10-10-2005 10:20 PM
Olympus digicam losing date/time settings again and again TommyC Digital Photography 7 05-31-2004 06:37 PM
jserve booting again and again amit Java 0 10-02-2003 04:26 PM
IMPORTANT! Changes to your Cable Internet Service (again & again) Charlie Computer Support 4 07-17-2003 01:18 AM

Advertisments