Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB Storage Device

USB Storage Device

brian

I recently picked up a 16GB USB storage device at a computer show for $25.00
bucks, yeah I know, you get what you pay for. My computers all recognize it,
and shows it as a 16GB drive, but when I copy files to it, and then remove
it the files are not shown after it's plugged back in. If you check the
properties it shows that the amount of spaced used by the files is still
being used, but they can't be seen. I formatted it but that didn't help, it
just showed then that the drive had full capacity back.

Any ideas as to why I can't see the files?

Thanks,
Brian

Ponder

Hiya brian.

In <(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

> I recently picked up a 16GB USB storage device at a computer show for $25.00
> bucks, yeah I know, you get what you pay for. My computers all recognize it,
> and shows it as a 16GB drive, but when I copy files to it, and then remove
> it the files are not shown after it's plugged back in. If you check the
> properties it shows that the amount of spaced used by the files is still
> being used, but they can't be seen. I formatted it but that didn't help, it
> just showed then that the drive had full capacity back.
> Any ideas as to why I can't see the files?

Did you remove the device straight away or did you leave enough time for
it to finish writing first?

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

brian

"Ponder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) es.co.uk...
> Hiya brian.
>
> In <(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:
>
>> I recently picked up a 16GB USB storage device at a computer show for
>> $25.00
>> bucks, yeah I know, you get what you pay for. My computers all recognize
>> it,
>> and shows it as a 16GB drive, but when I copy files to it, and then
>> remove
>> it the files are not shown after it's plugged back in. If you check the
>> properties it shows that the amount of spaced used by the files is still
>> being used, but they can't be seen. I formatted it but that didn't help,
>> it
>> just showed then that the drive had full capacity back.
>> Any ideas as to why I can't see the files?

> Did you remove the device straight away or did you leave enough time for
> it to finish writing first?
>
> --
> PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
> Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811
> Skittles Team: http://www.ddskittles.co.uk

I did wait as it was only a few 25 Kb text files for a test. I even did the
safely remove hardware method.

I guess it just could be defective?

Ponder

Hiya brian.

In <(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

>> Did you remove the device straight away or did you leave enough time for
>> it to finish writing first?

> I did wait as it was only a few 25 Kb text files for a test. I even did the
> safely remove hardware method.

Well that excludes the early disconnect possibility.

> I guess it just could be defective?

It could be. Try formatting it and copying the files again to see what
happens.

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

brian

"Ponder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) es.co.uk...
> Hiya brian.
>
> In <(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:
>
>>> Did you remove the device straight away or did you leave enough time
>>> for
>>> it to finish writing first?

>> I did wait as it was only a few 25 Kb text files for a test. I even did
>> the
>> safely remove hardware method.

> Well that excludes the early disconnect possibility.
>
>> I guess it just could be defective?

> It could be. Try formatting it and copying the files again to see what
> happens.
>
> --
> PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952
> Homepage: http://www.colinjones.co.uk ICQ# 1707811
> Skittles Team: http://www.ddskittles.co.uk

Yep I tried that too, it will then show the full 16Gb in the drive
properties window, and when files are copied to it I can open them from the
drive, but after the drive is removed and inserted again, I can't see the
files. But under the properties window it shows that there is space being
used on that drive.
Something weird here.

Ponder

Hiya brian.

In <(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:

>> It could be. Try formatting it and copying the files again to see what
>> happens.

> Yep I tried that too, it will then show the full 16Gb in the drive
> properties window, and when files are copied to it I can open them from the
> drive, but after the drive is removed and inserted again, I can't see the
> files. But under the properties window it shows that there is space being
> used on that drive.
> Something weird here.

Weird is right. What happens if you run chkdsk on it?

--
PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

PeeCee

"brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I recently picked up a 16GB USB storage device at a computer show for
>$25.00
> bucks, yeah I know, you get what you pay for. My computers all recognize
> it,
> and shows it as a 16GB drive, but when I copy files to it, and then remove
> it the files are not shown after it's plugged back in. If you check the
> properties it shows that the amount of spaced used by the files is still
> being used, but they can't be seen. I formatted it but that didn't help,
> it
> just showed then that the drive had full capacity back.
>
> Any ideas as to why I can't see the files?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> --

Brian

I had one do that, took it back and the second did the same, changed to
another brand all OK.
Retailer said a lot of them had done the same, probably best to take it
back/get refund.

Paul.

DaN

In article <fq7ptl$n6s$(E-Mail Removed)>, PeeCee says...

> Brian
>
> I had one do that, took it back and the second did the same, changed to
> another brand all OK.
> Retailer said a lot of them had done the same, probably best to take it
> back/get refund.
>
> Paul.

That's why you should be wary of buying electronics at shows.

~Dan

Bert

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:36:21 -0500, "brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I recently picked up a 16GB USB storage device at a computer show for $25.00
>bucks, yeah I know, you get what you pay for. My computers all recognize it,
>and shows it as a 16GB drive, but when I copy files to it, and then remove
>it the files are not shown after it's plugged back in. If you check the
>properties it shows that the amount of spaced used by the files is still
>being used, but they can't be seen. I formatted it but that didn't help, it
>just showed then that the drive had full capacity back.
>
>Any ideas as to why I can't see the files?

This might be interesting for you:
http://reviews.ebay.com/BEWARE-of-FA...00000001236200

Bert

Rick Merrill

Ponder wrote:
> Hiya brian.
>
> In <(E-Mail Removed)> you wrote:
>
>> I recently picked up a 16GB USB storage device at a computer show for $25.00
>> bucks, yeah I know, you get what you pay for. My computers all recognize it,
>> and shows it as a 16GB drive, but when I copy files to it, and then remove
>> it the files are not shown after it's plugged back in. If you check the
>> properties it shows that the amount of spaced used by the files is still
>> being used, but they can't be seen. I formatted it but that didn't help, it
>> just showed then that the drive had full capacity back.
>> Any ideas as to why I can't see the files?

> Did you remove the device straight away or did you leave enough time for
> it to finish writing first?

Tell the s/w to "remove device" before you unplug it.