Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Difference between 2000 mixed and 2003 interim (Domain FunctionalLevel)?

Difference between 2000 mixed and 2003 interim (Domain FunctionalLevel)?

pez

It seems that both these domain function levels have the same
limitations. Why then would you choose 2003 interim (instead of 2000
mixed)? At least with 2000 mixed you can have windows 2000 DC's.

John R

"pez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It seems that both these domain function levels have the same
> limitations. Why then would you choose 2003 interim (instead of 2000
> mixed)? At least with 2000 mixed you can have windows 2000 DC's.

2003 Interim does not support 2000 DCs. It is intended for someone
upgrading from an NT domain to 2003. If you are currently an NT domain, and
you install a 2003 DC in Interim mode, why would you then install a 2000 DC?

If your intent is to move to 2000 native, then you would choose 2000 mixed
until you have upgraded all of your DCs to at least 2000. You could then
later move to a 2003 domain, but it is more steps. You would choose this
path only if you planned on staying on 2000 native for quite some time.
Kind of silly if you ask me if 2003 is available.

Note that we are talking strickly about DCs. All domain function levels
support member servers all the way back to NT.

John R

John R

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "pez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It seems that both these domain function levels have the same
>> limitations. Why then would you choose 2003 interim (instead of 2000
>> mixed)? At least with 2000 mixed you can have windows 2000 DC's.

> 2003 Interim does not support 2000 DCs. It is intended for someone
> upgrading from an NT domain to 2003. If you are currently an NT domain,
> and you install a 2003 DC in Interim mode, why would you then install a
> 2000 DC?
>
> If your intent is to move to 2000 native, then you would choose 2000 mixed
> until you have upgraded all of your DCs to at least 2000. You could then
> later move to a 2003 domain, but it is more steps. You would choose this
> path only if you planned on staying on 2000 native for quite some time.
> Kind of silly if you ask me if 2003 is available.
>
> Note that we are talking strickly about DCs. All domain function levels
> support member servers all the way back to NT.
>
> John R

lol, "strickly", can you tell I'm from Pittsburgh?
I'd go daun-taun for some rogies if it wasn't so "slippy" outside.
Go Stillers!

John R

LRM

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John R" <jsr^^^813@zoom^^^internet.net> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "pez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It seems that both these domain function levels have the same
>>> limitations. Why then would you choose 2003 interim (instead of 2000
>>> mixed)? At least with 2000 mixed you can have windows 2000 DC's.

>> 2003 Interim does not support 2000 DCs. It is intended for someone
>> upgrading from an NT domain to 2003. If you are currently an NT domain,
>> and you install a 2003 DC in Interim mode, why would you then install a
>> 2000 DC?
>>
>> If your intent is to move to 2000 native, then you would choose 2000
>> mixed until you have upgraded all of your DCs to at least 2000. You
>> could then later move to a 2003 domain, but it is more steps. You would
>> choose this path only if you planned on staying on 2000 native for quite
>> some time. Kind of silly if you ask me if 2003 is available.
>>
>> Note that we are talking strickly about DCs. All domain function levels
>> support member servers all the way back to NT.
>>
>> John R
>>

> lol, "strickly", can you tell I'm from Pittsburgh?
> I'd go daun-taun for some rogies if it wasn't so "slippy" outside.
> Go Stillers!
>
> John R

Hey nice, both correct and moderately humorous!

Interim ruby-quiz: Middle Management Email Chris C. Ruby 0 11-03-2010 07:23 PM
Interim camera: 30D or 400D mybokeh@gmail.com Digital Photography 15 09-06-2006 10:45 PM
interim values Jon Paal ASP .Net 4 03-16-2006 05:00 PM
interim values from custom control Jon Paal ASP .Net 4 03-14-2006 09:41 PM