Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OT: Reciprocal links and SEO

OT: Reciprocal links and SEO

mrcakey

If I've created a website for someone and add it to my portfolio on my shop
window site, then the inbound link from their site becomes a reciprocal
link, which as I understand it means it doesn't do any good for search
engine ranking.

Would something as simple as linking to a PHP script on my site that would
perform an HTTP redirect to the other person's website trick the search
engines into not treating it as a reciprocal link? Or is that wishful
thinking?

Alternatively, if I stick a NOFOLLOW directive in my metatags will that
achieve the same thing?

Any advice gratefully received.

+mrcakey

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "mrcakey" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:fq609o$um2$(E-Mail Removed):

> If I've created a website for someone and add it to my portfolio on my
> shop window site, then the inbound link from their site becomes a
> reciprocal link, which as I understand it means it doesn't do any good
> for search engine ranking.
>
> Would something as simple as linking to a PHP script on my site that
> would perform an HTTP redirect to the other person's website trick the
> search engines into not treating it as a reciprocal link? Or is that
> wishful thinking?
>
> Alternatively, if I stick a NOFOLLOW directive in my metatags will
> that achieve the same thing?
>
> Any advice gratefully received.
>
> +mrcakey

IIRC, they are/were discussing just this issue at alt.internet.search-