Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP under VMware question - (Ubuntu)

XP under VMware question - (Ubuntu)

Lodi

Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.

I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
happening.

The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.

Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.

I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.

And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
and she reactivated it for me.

Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.

Regards
Lodi

Malcolm

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:38:48 +0100 (CET)
Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
>
> I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky.
> And often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
> happening.
>
> The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with
> 1GB ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
>
> Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
>
> I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over
> appearance.
>
> And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in
> India and she reactivated it for me.
>
> Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

Hi
I'm using workstation 5.5 but only use 256MB for the XP Pro virtual
machine and it runs fine. 768MB seems a bit excessive to me, reduce it
as you are probably eating into your swap on the host machine.

--
Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
SLED 10.0 SP1 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.54-0.2.5-smp

Bobs

Lodi wrote:
> Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
>
> I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
> often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
> happening.
>
> The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
> ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.

That's too much man. Half it.

> Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
>
> I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.
>
> And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
> and she reactivated it for me.
>
> Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

Murray Symon

Lodi wrote:

> Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
>
> I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
> often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
> happening.
>
> The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
> ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
>
> Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
>
> I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.
>
> And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
> and she reactivated it for me.
>
> Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

The last chapter of the manual has optimisation hints for guest O/S's.
The main one is always to install VMware Tools (it's in the 'VM' menu).
This installs an optimised video driver (among other things) into the
guest O/S. I see another one for XP is to run it in full-screen mode.

hth
Murray.

Brian Mathews

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:38:48 +0100 (CET), Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
>
>I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
>often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
>happening.
>
>The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
>ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
>
>Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
>
>I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.
>
>And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
>and she reactivated it for me.
>
>Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
>
>Regards
>Lodi

I though you did not need MS software when running the nutters Lunix..?

EMB

Brian Mathews wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 02:38:48 +0100 (CET), Lodi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
>>
>> I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
>> often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
>> happening.
>>
>> The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
>> ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
>>
>> Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
>>
>> I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.
>>
>> And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
>> and she reactivated it for me.
>>
>> Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
>>
>> Regards
>> Lodi

> I though you did not need MS software when running the nutters Lunix..?

Windows in a VM is great - bluescreens no longer require rebooting the
physical machine. You however would probably benefit from a bloody good
physical booting on a regular basis.

Lodi

>On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:02:29 +1300, Brian Mathews wrote:
>

> I though you did not need MS software when running the nutters Lunix..?

Personally I've no interest in using Windows. The disadvantages of
MicroSoft software far outweigh the advantage(s).

However the person for whom I'm setting this up needs to run multimedia
medical cd's which will only run correctly under MS. There's no way she
wants MS on her laptop. So VMware to the rescue.

I happily re-activated my old XP cd and donated it to the cause. It's not
of any value to me.

Lodi

Lodi

>On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 17:43:50 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

>> Lodi wrote:

>> Hi all...Running VMware Server 1.0.4 in Ubuntu Gutsy.
>>
>> I've just installed XP Home in VMware. To me XP seems quite jerky. And
>> often there's a slow reaction time between clicking and something
>> happening.
>>
>> The laptop on which I'm running VMware has a 1.86GHz processor with 1GB
>> ram. The XP virtual machine has 768M ram allocated to it.
>>
>> Shouldn't I be getting a reasonably smooth XP with those specs.
>>
>> I've done the usual XP tricks to emphasise performance over appearance.
>>
>> And it's a totally legit copy of XP. I spoke to some nice lady in India
>> and she reactivated it for me.
>>
>> Any advice from someone using XP in VMware appreciated.
>>
>> Regards
>> Lodi

> The last chapter of the manual has optimisation hints for guest O/S's.
> The main one is always to install VMware Tools (it's in the 'VM' menu).
> This installs an optimised video driver (among other things) into the
> guest O/S. I see another one for XP is to run it in full-screen mode.
>
> hth
> Murray.

Thanks all for the advice re the memory settings. Very counter-intuitive.

VMWare recommended 384 MB for the virtual machine up to a pre-swapping
maximum of 768MB so I'd naturally enough gone for the maximum memory.
Resetting it down to 512MB seems to have taken out the jerkiness. Thanks.

One further question. Both the boot-up and shutdown processes take the
best part of five minutes to complete. Is there a way I can remove the
"Welcome" and "Shutdown" screens and see what's actually happening.
Similar to removing "silent" from grub.

Regards
Lodi

Lodi

>On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:21:33 +0100, Lodi wrote:

> One further question. Both the boot-up and shutdown processes take the
> best part of five minutes to complete. Is there a way I can remove the
> "Welcome" and "Shutdown" screens and see what's actually happening.
> Similar to removing "silent" from grub.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

That doesn't make sense sorry. I actually mean removing the welcome and
shutdown screens from XP. Not VMware. Thanks.

In the meantime I'll try and google an answer cos it's a pain not knowing
what's going on during the boot.

Lodi

Mark Robinson

Lodi wrote:
> However the person for whom I'm setting this up needs to run multimedia
> medical cd's which will only run correctly under MS. There's no way she
> wants MS on her laptop. So VMware to the rescue.

Just to check that you've looked at medibuntu :

http://www.medibuntu.org/
https://launchpad.net/medibuntu/