Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Cable for FXO connections (SPA-3102)

Cable for FXO connections (SPA-3102)

Mark

I've got several RJ11 to UK (socket) adapters for connecting phones to
an ATA's FXS port.

Can someone please advise if they are the correct cable type (with the
addition of a gender changer M-M cable) for connection of the FXO port
of a SPA-3102 to my regular PSTN phone line.

Just don't want to fry anything or maybe find the capacitor in the
RJ11 lead isn't needed.

If it's _not_ the right cable type, then what is? I have a few RJ11-
UK (plug) leads from old modems (e.g. as delivered with laptops) but
they aren't all the same. There are at least two variants I've come
across.

TIA

Al

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got several RJ11 to UK (socket) adapters for connecting phones to
> an ATA's FXS port.
>
> Can someone please advise if they are the correct cable type (with the
> addition of a gender changer M-M cable) for connection of the FXO port
> of a SPA-3102 to my regular PSTN phone line.
>
> Just don't want to fry anything or maybe find the capacitor in the
> RJ11 lead isn't needed.
>
> If it's _not_ the right cable type, then what is? I have a few RJ11-
> UK (plug) leads from old modems (e.g. as delivered with laptops) but
> they aren't all the same. There are at least two variants I've come
> across.
>
> TIA

SPA 102 uses the 2 centre pins of the RJ 11
Some phone/modem/ ordless adapter RJ11 uses outer pair, some use inner. You
have probably got some of each in your collection. Maybe even some crossed
ones. Be aware.
In this case it is centre pair.

Can always crimps some plugs on for you if you get stuck.
HTH

Al

Theo Markettos

Al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> SPA 102 uses the 2 centre pins of the RJ 11
> Some phone/modem/ ordless adapter RJ11 uses outer pair, some use inner. You
> have probably got some of each in your collection. Maybe even some crossed
> ones. Be aware.
> In this case it is centre pair.

Supposedly the ring capacitor /is/ required. These ones work for me:
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2370
(pennies if you're already ordering from them)

Theo

Paul Hayes

Mark wrote:
> I've got several RJ11 to UK (socket) adapters for connecting phones to
> an ATA's FXS port.
>
> Can someone please advise if they are the correct cable type (with the
> addition of a gender changer M-M cable) for connection of the FXO port
> of a SPA-3102 to my regular PSTN phone line.
>
> Just don't want to fry anything or maybe find the capacitor in the
> RJ11 lead isn't needed.
>
> If it's _not_ the right cable type, then what is? I have a few RJ11-
> UK (plug) leads from old modems (e.g. as delivered with laptops) but
> they aren't all the same. There are at least two variants I've come
> across.
>
> TIA

The correct cables connect pins 2 and 5 of the BT socket to the
inner-most two pins on the rj11 connector.

You don't need a ring capacitor on an FXO port, only on an FXS where you
are connecting a phone which sometimes need this ring capacitor.

You can use this:

http://www.provoip.co.uk/product_inf...products_id=61

along with the rj-11 cable that should have come with the SPA3102.
(Product also available from other shops etc...etc... ).

cheers,
Paul.

Theo Markettos

Theo Markettos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Supposedly the ring capacitor /is/ required. These ones work for me:
> http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2370
> (pennies if you're already ordering from them)

Oops, I got my FXO/FXI mixed up. The above is for connecting phones to the
SPA, not the SPA to the PSTN.

Theo

Chris Davies

Theo Markettos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Supposedly the ring capacitor /is/ required. These ones work for me:
> http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2370
> (pennies if you're already ordering from them)

> Oops, I got my FXO/FXI mixed up. The above is for connecting phones to the
> SPA, not the SPA to the PSTN.

Interestingly, I also bought one of those with my Sipura the other day,
and it is NOT required. The SPA comes with an RJ11 to BT socket adaptor
and that works fine. (The BB product stops my phone, connected to the SPA,
working at all. No ring. No dialtone. Nothing.)

Chris

Paul Hayes

Chris Davies wrote:
The SPA comes with an RJ11 to BT socket adaptor
> and that works fine.
> Chris

that depends where you buy it from.

Linksys themselves don't supply any adaptors to their resellers.

cheers,
Paul.

Theo Markettos

Chris Davies <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Interestingly, I also bought one of those with my Sipura the other day,
> and it is NOT required. The SPA comes with an RJ11 to BT socket adaptor
> and that works fine. (The BB product stops my phone, connected to the SPA,
> working at all. No ring. No dialtone. Nothing.)

Interesting. Which Sipura? I bought an SPA3102 from them in December and
they didn't supply an adaptor so it did need one (I bought two, mistakenly
thinking it had two FXI ports).

Theo

Chris Davies

Chris Davies <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [The] SPA comes with an RJ11 to BT socket adaptor [...]

Theo Markettos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Interesting. Which Sipura? I bought an SPA3102 from them in December and
> they didn't supply an adaptor [...]

SPA 3102. Strange, eh!
Chris

Lingering Idle Oracle Connections? Persistent connections? jobs ASP .Net 2 11-16-2007 03:37 AM
FXO to FXO connection NeoN Cisco 1 12-19-2006 04:39 AM
FYI: April 2006 TechNet Cable Guy article on wireless connections in Windows Vista published Joseph Davies [MSFT] Wireless Networking 0 04-17-2006 09:01 PM

Advertisments