Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Deploy question

Windows Deploy question

taxdeprivation

im trying to make a install cd for reload of the operating system. in
windows XP you can use the deploy feature to repackage it down to
factory. well. i know you can install things and it be there when you
install windows such as when Dell puts their image on a new pc. how
can i stuff drivers in there so i dont have to use CDs to load them.
like, to where windows will auto install them. where to i put the
drivers?

PeeCee

"taxdeprivation" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> im trying to make a install cd for reload of the operating system. in
> windows XP you can use the deploy feature to repackage it down to
> factory. well. i know you can install things and it be there when you
> install windows such as when Dell puts their image on a new pc. how
> can i stuff drivers in there so i dont have to use CDs to load them.
> like, to where windows will auto install them. where to i put the
> drivers?

Justin

You want a 'disk imaging' program.

Acronis True Image is one example that many find successfull

http://www.acronis.com.au/homecomput...cts/trueimage/

In this case you set up your PC the hard way by installing XP and XP service
packs, then the drivers, then any applications and refinements.
Now install your disk imaging program and burn your 'restore' CD/DVD's.

After this restore your data, emails etc from the backup that you regualrly
make.

Then in the future when you need a fresh install of XP on 'that PC' you just
need to install from the ATI disks.
Followed by a data restore from your backups done before you reinstalled.

Best
Paul.

why?

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:01:16 -0800 (PST), taxdeprivation wrote:

>im trying to make a install cd for reload of the operating system. in
>windows XP you can use the deploy feature to repackage it down to
>factory. well. i know you can install things and it be there when you
>install windows such as when Dell puts their image on a new pc. how
>can i stuff drivers in there so i dont have to use CDs to load them.

When we did this at work, we read the MS deployment guides, put the
files in the correct folders and it worked (NT3.x, 4.0 and 2000 Wstn and
servers). Now days it's an image (2000/XP/Vista and servers 2003) of the
base setup and install scripts for apps.

>like, to where windows will auto install them. where to i put the
>drivers?

See above.

Me