Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Why doesn't Safari display bottom of my page?

Why doesn't Safari display bottom of my page?

duckweather.in.seattle@gmail.com

OK, first I have to confess that I know next to nothing about HTML.
But I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web page for our chronic
fatigue syndrome support group.

I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.

Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

Is there a way I can test my page to see how it displays in Safari?

How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"

C A Upsdell

> OK, first I have to confess that I know next to nothing about HTML.
> But I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web page for our chronic
> fatigue syndrome support group.
>
> I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
> they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.
>
> Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/
>
> Is there a way I can test my page to see how it displays in Safari?
>
> How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

You can get safari 3 (beta) for windows, at:

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

When I tried your site, Safari crashed.

Your page has 120 HTML errors and 317 CSS errors. Fix them.

Knut Krueger

> Your page has 120 HTML errors and 317 CSS errors. Fix them.

Search for the errors with
html:
http://validator.w3.org
css
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator

Regards Knut

Bergamot

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
> they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.
>
> Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

The code is an ugly layout table with convoluted colspans and rowspans.
Can't say that I blame Safari for giving up.

BTW, Safari is only showing what can been seen "above the fold", i.e.
what's in the viewport when the page first loads. Scroll down and it's
just a blank white page beyond that point. I don't know why, but I'm not
even going to try to debug your code.

> How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

Correcting the validation errors as others have suggested is hardly
worth the trouble. This really should be rewritten from the ground up.
Cleaning up the code could do wonders for browsers besides Safari, plus
maintenance should be much simpler.

--
Berg

duckweather.in.seattle@gmail.com

Thanks for the help, guys!

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Bergamot wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

> .. This really should be rewritten from the ground up.

...and then hosted somewhere that doesn't add all that junk to it.
Google for "geoshitties" ...

Clueless in Seattle, does your ISP give you free web space?

--
-bts
-Friends don't let friends drive Vista

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> OK, first I have to confess that I know next to nothing about HTML.
> But I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web page for our chronic
> fatigue syndrome support group.
>
> I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
> they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.
>
> Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/
>
> Is there a way I can test my page to see how it displays in Safari?
>
> How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?
>
> Will in Seattle
> a.k.a. "Clueless"

The URL you give first took me to your server directory and I was
looking at folders and such, I could not see any obvious main or
index file. Next time I accessed your URL, I was directed to:

http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfsandfibro/ I can see all of
this page on my Safari (2.0.4 on a Mac). It has bluish purple
cloud/ whirlpool taking up about 300px of the top, then a
horizontal menu. After a gap of about 90px there is a green/blue
info rectangle that needs scrolling down. Is this the page you
mean?

--
dorayme

mrcakey

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

My eyes! Doctor, my eyes!!!

+mrcakey

C A Upsdell

Bergamot wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
>> they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.
>>
>> Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

> The code is an ugly layout table with convoluted colspans and rowspans.
> Can't say that I blame Safari for giving up.
>
> BTW, Safari is only showing what can been seen "above the fold", i.e.
> what's in the viewport when the page first loads. Scroll down and it's
> just a blank white page beyond that point. I don't know why, but I'm not
> even going to try to debug your code.
>
>> How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

> Correcting the validation errors as others have suggested is hardly
> worth the trouble. This really should be rewritten from the ground up.
> Cleaning up the code could do wonders for browsers besides Safari, plus
> maintenance should be much simpler.

IMO cleaning up the validation errors would enable the OP to learn more
about proper HTML and CSS.

Mike Barnard

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:50:01 -0500, C A Upsdell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bergamot wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I've heard from some members who use the Safari web browser that when
>>> they look at my web page the bottom half of the page doesn't show up.
>>>
>>> Here's my URL: http://www.geocities.com/seattlecfs/

>> The code is an ugly layout table with convoluted colspans and rowspans.
>> Can't say that I blame Safari for giving up.
>>
>> BTW, Safari is only showing what can been seen "above the fold", i.e.
>> what's in the viewport when the page first loads. Scroll down and it's
>> just a blank white page beyond that point. I don't know why, but I'm not
>> even going to try to debug your code.
>>
>>> How can I fix my page so that it will display properly in Safari?

>> Correcting the validation errors as others have suggested is hardly
>> worth the trouble. This really should be rewritten from the ground up.
>> Cleaning up the code could do wonders for browsers besides Safari, plus
>> maintenance should be much simpler.
>>

>IMO cleaning up the validation errors would enable the OP to learn more
>about proper HTML and CSS.

But does he want to? "I'm stuck with the job of maintaining a web
page..."