Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Google - exact search

Google - exact search

Steve Freides

OK, you may call me stupid, but I can't get Google to do the exact
search I want. I am looking for three words and want only those three
words right in a row. Google will do that if I put the phrase in quotes
but it includes instances where punctuation separates the terms and I
don't want that.

Example, search on "one two three" Google will match

.... one. Two three ...

Note the period in the above. I want my three words _not_ separated by
anything except a single blank space. I'd be content to ignore
capitalization if that's an option.

How do I make this actually do what I want.

-S-

Lookout

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:00:26 -0500, "Steve Freides"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OK, you may call me stupid, but I can't get Google to do the exact
>search I want. I am looking for three words and want only those three
>words right in a row. Google will do that if I put the phrase in quotes
>but it includes instances where punctuation separates the terms and I
>don't want that.
>
>Example, search on "one two three" Google will match
>
>... one. Two three ...
>
>Note the period in the above. I want my three words _not_ separated by
>anything except a single blank space. I'd be content to ignore
>capitalization if that's an option.
>
>How do I make this actually do what I want.
>
>-S-

"one" and "two" and "three"

Whiskers

On 2008-02-27, Steve Freides <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> OK, you may call me stupid, but I can't get Google to do the exact
> search I want. I am looking for three words and want only those three
> words right in a row. Google will do that if I put the phrase in quotes
> but it includes instances where punctuation separates the terms and I
> don't want that.
>
> Example, search on "one two three" Google will match
>
> ... one. Two three ...
>
> Note the period in the above. I want my three words _not_ separated by
> anything except a single blank space. I'd be content to ignore
> capitalization if that's an option.
>
> How do I make this actually do what I want.
>
> -S-

I don't think Google 'notices' punctuation, so you can't include or
exclude punctuation marks (or capitalisation) in Google searches. The
best place to get help with Google searches is probably
<http://www.google.com/help/basics.html>.

See also <http://help.uk.ask.com/en/docs/about/adv_search_tips.shtml>
<http://www.webcrawler.com/webcrawler/ws/faq/rfcid=416/rfcp=TopNavigation/_iceUrlFlag=11?_IceUrl=true>
<http://www.dogpile.com/dogpile/ws/faq/_iceUrlFlag=11?_IceUrl=true>
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~

Another

> "one" and "two" and "three"

That does not work.

Evan Platt

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:45:46 +0000, Whiskers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't think Google 'notices' punctuation,

i dont think google or google groups notices puncuation or
capitlilzation either i could be wrong thats just what ive seen but
maybe someone else here has seen otherwise let me know

VanguardLH

"Lookout" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Steve Freides"wrote:
>>
>> I can't get Google to do the exact search I want. I am looking for
>> three words and want only those three words right in a row.
>> Google will do that if I put the phrase in quotes but it includes
>> instances where punctuation separates the terms and I don't want
>> that.
>>
>> Example, search on "one two three" Google will match
>>
>> ... one. Two three ...
>>
>> Note the period in the above. I want my three words _not_
>> separated
>> by anything except a single blank space. I'd be content to ignore
>> capitalization if that's an option.
>>
>> How do I make this actually do what I want.

> "one" and "two" and "three"

Don't know Boolean, do you? That finds ANY web page that has those 3
words anywhere and in any order on the web page but does NOT find web
pages that specifically have the *phrase* or string of "one two
three".

Evan Platt

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:26:39 -0600, "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don't know Boolean, do you?

Had lunch with the guy the other day.

Ragz

does onetwothree work? after all if its a site then there'll be no spaces
"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, you may call me stupid, but I can't get Google to do the exact search
> I want. I am looking for three words and want only those three words
> right in a row. Google will do that if I put the phrase in quotes but it
> includes instances where punctuation separates the terms and I don't want
> that.
>
> Example, search on "one two three" Google will match
>
> ... one. Two three ...
>
> Note the period in the above. I want my three words _not_ separated by
> anything except a single blank space. I'd be content to ignore
> capitalization if that's an option.
>
> How do I make this actually do what I want.
>
> -S-

Lookout

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:26:39 -0600, "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Lookout" wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> "Steve Freides"wrote:
>>>
>>> I can't get Google to do the exact search I want. I am looking for
>>> three words and want only those three words right in a row.
>>> Google will do that if I put the phrase in quotes but it includes
>>> instances where punctuation separates the terms and I don't want
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Example, search on "one two three" Google will match
>>>
>>> ... one. Two three ...
>>>
>>> Note the period in the above. I want my three words _not_
>>> separated
>>> by anything except a single blank space. I'd be content to ignore
>>> capitalization if that's an option.
>>>
>>> How do I make this actually do what I want.

>> "one" and "two" and "three"

>Don't know Boolean, do you? That finds ANY web page that has those 3
>words anywhere and in any order on the web page but does NOT find web
>pages that specifically have the *phrase* or string of "one two
>three".

Didn't read the original post close enough.

VanguardLH

"Ragz" wrote in message
news:yLmxj.143166$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> does onetwothree work? after all if its a site then there'll be no
> spaces

Start visiting some web site and right-clicking to View Source. The
space character is used, and is NOT the same as the &nbsp; entity that
can enforce the collapsing of multi-whitespace into single spacing.

Oh, I see now. A blueyonder respondent. Should've known.