Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Problem with CSS table in Firefox

Problem with CSS table in Firefox

Hvid Hat

Hello

I'm trying to set up a table with CSS but it doesn't look correctly in Firefox.
Firstly I've got the table as I want it (using table, tr, td) and below is
the CSS table that doesn't look correct in Firefox. The second line of "On
this very day something happened" is written below the date. It should stay
in its "own" column. How do I get it to do that?

http://hvidhat.users.whitehat.dk/table.htm

Els

Hvid Hat wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a table with CSS but it doesn't look correctly in Firefox.
> Firstly I've got the table as I want it (using table, tr, td) and below is
> the CSS table that doesn't look correct in Firefox. The second line of "On
> this very day something happened" is written below the date. It should stay
> in its "own" column. How do I get it to do that?
>
> http://hvidhat.users.whitehat.dk/table.html

Float div.text as well, or, give it a left margin as wide as needed
for the floated div.date.

At the same time though, the table is a better construction for what
you are doing than the divs. The dates belong to the texts, so there
is a connection, both vertical (all dates) as horizontal (dates and
texts). I'd just use a table if I were you.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Jonathan N. Little

Hvid Hat wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to set up a table with CSS but it doesn't look correctly in
> Firefox. Firstly I've got the table as I want it (using table, tr, td)
> and below is the CSS table that doesn't look correct in Firefox. The
> second line of "On this very day something happened" is written below
> the date. It should stay in its "own" column. How do I get it to do that?
>
> http://hvidhat.users.whitehat.dk/table.html

It is doing exactly what you have "told" it to do...

add this and see what is happening.

..table { background-color: #f88; }
..date { background-color: #8f8; }
..text { background-color: #88f; }

If another browser, I bet IE, is doing something different then it is IE
that is incorrect.

1) You need to learn what the "float" property does. It does not
preserve the rectangle of the floated block but rather flows it around
the non-floated blocks. It is *supposed* to do that.

2) It is *not* CSS *or* TABLES! You can use a table with CSS. What you
should not do is use table elements to layout non-tabular content of a
page, i.e., put a logo here and put a menu there... It looks like you
have tabular data--use a table.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

mrcakey

"Hvid Hat" <vil_ikke@have_spam.dk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to set up a table with CSS but it doesn't look correctly in
> Firefox. Firstly I've got the table as I want it (using table, tr, td) and
> below is the CSS table that doesn't look correct in Firefox. The second
> line of "On this very day something happened" is written below the date.
> It should stay in its "own" column. How do I get it to do that?
>
> http://hvidhat.users.whitehat.dk/table.html

Are you doing it as some sort of learning exercise? Cos if you have stuff
you want to put in a table, put it in a table. Getting a table look with
CSS for the sake of is just masochistic!

+mrcakey

Lew Loo

On 26 Feb 2008, Hvid Hat wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to set up a table with CSS but it doesn't look correctly in
> Firefox. Firstly I've got the table as I want it (using table, tr, td)
> and below is the CSS table that doesn't look correct in Firefox. The
> second line of "On this very day something happened" is written below
> the date. It should stay in its "own" column. How do I get it to do
> that?
>

> http://hvidhat.users.whitehat.dk/table.html

Add to css div.text { width: 175px;float:right;} and div.table div {
clear:right; }

--
LL

dorayme

In article <fq20ed$oen$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"mrcakey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Getting a table look with
> CSS for the sake of is just masochistic!

If you want a table-look to non-tabular layout, are you saying
that this is a bad thing to want? Or that if you want it, go
ahead and use a table anyway? Or is it like that Clinton should
have resisted Lewinsky altogether no matter how much he wanted
her. And, of course, the deeper question, would he have been
masochistic to do so?

--
dorayme