Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Format war over already?

Format war over already?

Impmon

<http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-drop-hd-dvd-xbox/story.aspx?guid=%7B19A0D716-0723-491F-8FB5-C2EBDD06334E%7D>

Hmmm... looks like Beta player is not alone anymore. Quoted from the
web site (chock full of ads I might add) in case you can't access:

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Microsoft Corp. will no longer make HD
DVD players for its popular Xbox 360 video game system following the
triumph of Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray in the battle over the high-definition
video format.

Sony prevailed over Toshiba Corp., which recently conceded the format
for high-definition video to its rival after several Hollywood studios
and major retailers decided to back Blu-ray.

As a result of those decisions, Microsoft is withdrawing from HD DVD,
said Blair Westlake, vice president of the software giant's media and
entertainment division.

"Xbox will no longer manufacture new HD DVD players for the Xbox 360,
but we will continue to provide standard product and warranty support
for all Xbox 360 HD DVD players in the market," he said in a
statement.

Microsoft had been one of the technology giants to support the Toshiba
format. But major movie studios, including Sony Pictures and Walt
Disney Co., picked the Blu-ray format to distribute high-definition
DVDs.

Microsoft does not expect the decision to stop making HD DVD players
to have an impact on its video game business.

godslabrat@gmail.com

On Feb 26, 10:04*am, Impmon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hmmm... looks like Beta player is not alone anymore. *Quoted from the
> web site (chock full of ads I might add) in case you can't access:

Yep, it's been an eventful couple of weeks. I'm just glad it's
over... now I can get back to watching movies.

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Impmon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
><http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor.../story.aspx?gu
>id=%7B19A0D716-0723-491F-8FB5-C2EBDD06334E%7D>
>
>Hmmm... looks like Beta player is not alone anymore. Quoted from the
>web site (chock full of ads I might add) in case you can't access:
>
>SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Microsoft Corp. will no longer make HD
>DVD players for its popular Xbox 360 video game system following the
>triumph of Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray in the battle over the high-definition
>video format.
>
>Sony prevailed over Toshiba Corp., which recently conceded the format
>for high-definition video to its rival after several Hollywood studios
>and major retailers decided to back Blu-ray.
>
>As a result of those decisions, Microsoft is withdrawing from HD DVD,
>said Blair Westlake, vice president of the software giant's media and
>entertainment division.
>
>"Xbox will no longer manufacture new HD DVD players for the Xbox 360,
>but we will continue to provide standard product and warranty support
>for all Xbox 360 HD DVD players in the market," he said in a
>statement.
>
>Microsoft had been one of the technology giants to support the Toshiba
>format. But major movie studios, including Sony Pictures and Walt
>Disney Co., picked the Blu-ray format to distribute high-definition
>DVDs.
>
>Microsoft does not expect the decision to stop making HD DVD players
>to have an impact on its video game business.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...84&dcaid=17904 $49.99

LOL!!!!

Tarkus

Impmon wrote:
> Microsoft does not expect the decision to stop making HD DVD players
> to have an impact on its video game business.

Agreed. They were destined for 3rd place either way.

jerryaltman@invalid.com

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:04:42 GMT, Impmon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-drop-hd-dvd-xbox/story.aspx?guid=%7B19A0D716-0723-491F-8FB5-C2EBDD06334E%7D>
>
>Hmmm... looks like Beta player is not alone anymore. Quoted from the
>web site (chock full of ads I might add) in case you can't access:
>
>SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Microsoft Corp. will no longer make HD
>DVD players for its popular Xbox 360 video game system following the
>triumph of Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray in the battle over the high-definition
>video format.

OK, I got to ask.....
What does HD-DVD have to do with Xbox360?
Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about games or game machines.
Games do not interest an old fart like me.
All I know is the Xbox360 is for playing games and that's it.
I am assuming the game must come on the DVD ?????

Please explain !

Thanks

Jerry

Lyrik

Den 27.02.2008 kl. 10:32 skrev <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> OK, I got to ask.....
> What does HD-DVD have to do with Xbox360?
> Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about games or game machines.
> Games do not interest an old fart like me.
> All I know is the Xbox360 is for playing games and that's it.
> I am assuming the game must come on the DVD ?????
>
> Please explain !
>
> Thanks
>
> Jerry

Well The Xbox 360 live have an add on which is a HD-DVD Player that is
able to play HD-DVD High Definition discs on a HD-TV -it plays movies, so
to speak. To play the movies the add-on has to be connected to the XBOX
live and to the TV.
An interesting thing is, that if You do not have an XBOX live, and You buy
the add-on, then You can use it's USB to connect to a PC. You would be
able to play the High Def. discs on the PC then.
Or one can use the connection to "transfer" the content to the hard drive.
With the right kind of programmes.

--
Greetings Jens "Lyrik" Bech

jerryaltman@invalid.com

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:49:33 +0100, Lyrik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Den 27.02.2008 kl. 10:32 skrev <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>

>> OK, I got to ask.....
>> What does HD-DVD have to do with Xbox360?
>> Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about games or game machines.
>> Games do not interest an old fart like me.
>> All I know is the Xbox360 is for playing games and that's it.
>> I am assuming the game must come on the DVD ?????
>>
>> Please explain !
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jerry

>Well The Xbox 360 live have an add on which is a HD-DVD Player that is
>able to play HD-DVD High Definition discs on a HD-TV -it plays movies, so
>to speak. To play the movies the add-on has to be connected to the XBOX
>live and to the TV.
>An interesting thing is, that if You do not have an XBOX live, and You buy
>the add-on, then You can use it's USB to connect to a PC. You would be
>able to play the High Def. discs on the PC then.
>Or one can use the connection to "transfer" the content to the hard drive.
>With the right kind of programmes.

Thanks for the info.
I never knew they could do more than games.

Jerry

Lyrik

Den 28.02.2008 kl. 06:26 skrev <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:49:33 +0100, Lyrik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Den 27.02.2008 kl. 10:32 skrev <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>

>>> OK, I got to ask.....
>>> What does HD-DVD have to do with Xbox360?
>>> Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about games or game machines.
>>> Games do not interest an old fart like me.
>>> All I know is the Xbox360 is for playing games and that's it.
>>> I am assuming the game must come on the DVD ?????
>>>
>>> Please explain !
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jerry

>> Well The Xbox 360 live have an add on which is a HD-DVD Player that is
>> able to play HD-DVD High Definition discs on a HD-TV -it plays movies,
>> so
>> to speak. To play the movies the add-on has to be connected to the XBOX
>> live and to the TV.
>> An interesting thing is, that if You do not have an XBOX live, and You
>> buy
>> the add-on, then You can use it's USB to connect to a PC. You would be
>> able to play the High Def. discs on the PC then.
>> Or one can use the connection to "transfer" the content to the hard
>> drive.
>> With the right kind of programmes.

> Thanks for the info.
> I never knew they could do more than games.
>
> Jerry

Well, You know that the Play Station 3 (PS3) can play Blu-Ray High. Def.
discs right out of the box? That was a smart move as it jumpstarted
Blu-Ray High. Def. films.

--
Greetings Jens "Lyrik" Bech

jerryaltman@invalid.com

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:49:11 +0100, Lyrik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Den 28.02.2008 kl. 06:26 skrev <(E-Mail Removed)>:

>>> Well The Xbox 360 live have an add on which is a HD-DVD Player that is
>>> able to play HD-DVD High Definition discs on a HD-TV -it plays movies,
>>> so
>>> to speak. To play the movies the add-on has to be connected to the XBOX
>>> live and to the TV.
>>> An interesting thing is, that if You do not have an XBOX live, and You
>>> buy
>>> the add-on, then You can use it's USB to connect to a PC. You would be
>>> able to play the High Def. discs on the PC then.
>>> Or one can use the connection to "transfer" the content to the hard
>>> drive.
>>> With the right kind of programmes.

>> Thanks for the info.
>> I never knew they could do more than games.
>>
>> Jerry

>Well, You know that the Play Station 3 (PS3) can play Blu-Ray High. Def.
>discs right out of the box? That was a smart move as it jumpstarted
>Blu-Ray High. Def. films.

I didn't know that before, but I do now. Like I said, I dont use
games, so I never knew anything about that stuff. I actually thought
they were ONLY for games, which always made me wonder why people dont
just use their computer for games. The one thing I do know is that
the newer computers are capable of some pretty highly advanced games.
At least a little higher advanced than Solitare that comes with
Windows

StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:19:17 -0600, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:49:11 +0100, Lyrik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Thanks for the info.
>>> I never knew they could do more than games.
>>>
>>> Jerry

>>Well, You know that the Play Station 3 (PS3) can play Blu-Ray High. Def.
>>discs right out of the box? That was a smart move as it jumpstarted
>>Blu-Ray High. Def. films.

>I didn't know that before, but I do now. Like I said, I dont use
>games, so I never knew anything about that stuff. I actually thought
>they were ONLY for games, which always made me wonder why people dont
>just use their computer for games. The one thing I do know is that
>the newer computers are capable of some pretty highly advanced games.
>At least a little higher advanced than Solitare that comes with
>Windows

PC gaming is ahead of and better than console platforms.

The PS3 IS a computer. I run Linux, four flavors on mine.

It is also a home theater, A/V rack quality Blu Ray, High Definition
Film media reader / playback device with advanced audio features.