Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Network Adaptor Installation error

Network Adaptor Installation error

David

Hi,
My friend with an older PC but running XP has just got broadband internet
connection, but his PC did not have the ethernet socket. 2 different makes
of network cards have been tryed.
Both fail on Installation.
*An error occured......."
"Faulty data"
Or words to this effect i understand.
I sent him to Device manager, and the Network adaptor is listed but not
working, he unistalled driver and reinstalled but same error, any ideas?
He as tried the CD and I lent him a wireless adaptor so the internet update
tried but same failure.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Cub

newsZSwj.4368$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> My friend with an older PC but running XP has just got broadband internet
> connection, but his PC did not have the ethernet socket. 2 different
> makes of network cards have been tryed.
> Both fail on Installation.
> *An error occured......."
> "Faulty data"
> Or words to this effect i understand.
> I sent him to Device manager, and the Network adaptor is listed but not
> working, he unistalled driver and reinstalled but same error, any ideas?
> He as tried the CD and I lent him a wireless adaptor so the internet
> update tried but same failure.
>
> --
> Regards,
> David
>
> Please reply to News Group

Pls send FULL error message.

Have you the correct cable

what cards have you tried (dont say different makes lol)

when you say "the Network adaptor is listed but not
> working,"

do you see the device showing as disabled ?

is the TCPIP prperties set to manual IP or DHCP auto ?

when connected to whatever the service provider sent what happens with the
leds at the side of the network card are both lit ? , what colour ?

what is the make and model of the modem they sent you ?

sooo many questions sooo little time

David

"Cub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fq15sv$ng9$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsZSwj.4368$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> My friend with an older PC but running XP has just got broadband internet
>> connection, but his PC did not have the ethernet socket. 2 different
>> makes of network cards have been tryed.
>> Both fail on Installation.
>> *An error occured......."
>> "Faulty data"
>> Or words to this effect i understand.
>> I sent him to Device manager, and the Network adaptor is listed but not
>> working, he unistalled driver and reinstalled but same error, any ideas?
>> He as tried the CD and I lent him a wireless adaptor so the internet
>> update tried but same failure.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> David
>>
>> Please reply to News Group
>>

> Pls send FULL error message.
>
> Have you the correct cable
>
> what cards have you tried (dont say different makes lol)
>
> when you say "the Network adaptor is listed but not
>> working,"

> do you see the device showing as disabled ?
>
> is the TCPIP prperties set to manual IP or DHCP auto ?
>
> when connected to whatever the service provider sent what happens with the
> leds at the side of the network card are both lit ? , what colour ?
>
> what is the make and model of the modem they sent you ?
>

> sooo many questions sooo little time

Do not think outside of the computer matter at this stage as nothing coming
out, the device is not working.
Will get you exact model numbers tomorrow hopefully.
The first card was a Maplin boxed but computer as it as a Realtek.
The one in now is a Linksys.

The device does not show on Network Connections, the only item under shown
is the working Belkin Wireless adapror.

In Device Manager the item has a yellow tick.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

David

news:CnWwj.5120$(E-Mail Removed)...

> In Device Manager the item has a yellow tick.

PS
Think the yellow might have been a Question Mark.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

Cub

news:CnWwj.5120$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Cub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fq15sv$ng9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> newsZSwj.4368$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>> My friend with an older PC but running XP has just got broadband
>>> internet connection, but his PC did not have the ethernet socket. 2
>>> different makes of network cards have been tryed.
>>> Both fail on Installation.
>>> *An error occured......."
>>> "Faulty data"
>>> Or words to this effect i understand.
>>> I sent him to Device manager, and the Network adaptor is listed but not
>>> working, he unistalled driver and reinstalled but same error, any ideas?
>>> He as tried the CD and I lent him a wireless adaptor so the internet
>>> update tried but same failure.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> David
>>>
>>> Please reply to News Group
>>>

>> Pls send FULL error message.
>>
>> Have you the correct cable
>>
>> what cards have you tried (dont say different makes lol)
>>
>> when you say "the Network adaptor is listed but not
>>> working,"

>> do you see the device showing as disabled ?
>>
>> is the TCPIP prperties set to manual IP or DHCP auto ?
>>
>> when connected to whatever the service provider sent what happens with
>> the leds at the side of the network card are both lit ? , what colour ?
>>
>> what is the make and model of the modem they sent you ?
>>

>> sooo many questions sooo little time
>>

> Do not think outside of the computer matter at this stage as nothing
> coming out, the device is not working.
> Will get you exact model numbers tomorrow hopefully.
> The first card was a Maplin boxed but computer as it as a Realtek.
> The one in now is a Linksys.
>
> The device does not show on Network Connections, the only item under shown
> is the working Belkin Wireless adapror.
>
> In Device Manager the item has a yellow tick.
>

> --
> Regards,
> David
>
> Please reply to News Group

yellow probably means the correct driver is not available for the card

I don't think you will see the card in network connections , you have to add
it once you have a working card

SO we are talking wireless connections not hard wired ( why mention the pc
has no ethernet connectors ?)

What have you got in at the moment cos Realtek is one manufacturer Belkin
another and Linksys yet another ..

more info required

Plato

David wrote:

> My friend with an older PC but running XP has just got broadband internet
> connection, but his PC did not have the ethernet socket. 2 different makes
> of network cards have been tryed.
> Both fail on Installation.

You didn't mention if you installed the drivers for it..

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

David

"Cub" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fq295d$l90$(E-Mail Removed)...

> yellow probably means the correct driver is not available for the card

That's what we are trying to do and failing....Installation fails.

> I don't think you will see the card in network connections , you have to
> add it once you have a working card

Yes not showing there is what I thought confirming Device Manager.

> SO we are talking wireless connections not hard wired ( why mention the
> pc has no ethernet connectors ?)

NO. We are talking about Network Cards, 2 of them with same problem, a
Realtek and a Linksys. My OP lacks details, yes, but has the story
correct. (PC has no Ethernet connection, one required now my friend has
Broadband. I have lent him a Belkin USB wireless adaptor to get on to the
internet and use XPs automatic Driver installation. Also for us to go to
the maker of these 2 Network adaptors web sites.)

> What have you got in at the moment cos Realtek is one manufacturer Belkin
> another and Linksys yet another ..

Maplin/Realtek first and now Linksys in now. ( Any difference in quality?
You know which one to keep when you get us going. Packaging etc of the
Linksys superior, but it is the card that is important.)

> more info required

I have promised that today, assuming my friend at home.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

David

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:47c4e2e6$0$292$(E-Mail Removed)...
> David wrote:
>>
>> My friend with an older PC but running XP has just got broadband internet
>> connection, but his PC did not have the ethernet socket. 2 different
>> makes
>> of network cards have been tryed.
>> Both fail on Installation.

> You didn't mention if you installed the drivers for it..

I'm not a PC expert but that is what I thought was the installation and that
which was failing.

Would I be expecting 2 installations then?
One the drivers. Then a second?
I do see the driver installation symbols of one file transferring to another
on screen.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

David

PS
Just to be clear, the Belkin Wireless USB adaptor is working fine so the
broadband and its Netgear router is OK. The only thing with the Belkin
installation was it warned the computers USB is a 1, and therefore it would
work slower than a 2.

--
Regards,
David

Please reply to News Group

David

Hi,
First thanks for the replies.
My friend as taken the PC to his technician this morning and a fault with
the PC was found. Also they advised to repair it was not worth the money.
They advised him to continue with the USB wireless adaptor, which I have now
passed over to him.
So all is well.
Regards
David