Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > A Question that really bothers me...

A Question that really bothers me...

Andrey Tarasevich

peter koch wrote:
> If data is of type void* or FunctionResponse is of type void, the code
> above should not work.

I don't see why it shouldn't work when 'FunctionResponse' is really
'void'. Conversion to 'void*' is a part of the standard 'dynamic_cast'
functionality.

> Visual Studio 6 probably got this wrong - it is a very old compiler.

A quick experiment shows that its actually gets this right, meaning that
the real root of the problem lies elsewhere.

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

j1230xz@gmail.com

Thank you all very much.

I just converted VC6 project that compiles ok into VC2008 and tried to
compile. The error was what i got. However due to the complexity of
the external library i have used (ACE), the macro might be redefined
somewhere else. However this was not some blocking problem that i had,
it just bothered me so it was just natural to ask . Anyway at the
end it all comes as I suspected, since as my memory serves me: void
pointers do not have runtime type information and if you deliberately
convert a pointer to void, you just given up its rtti.

I am sorry if i have caused inconvinience by asking the question here,
but i thought this would be a copiler issue, considering the compiler
change from VC6 to VC2008.

My Best Regards,
and thank you all again

--
Tanev Nikola

Michael DOUBEZ

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) a écrit :
> Thank you all very much.
>
> I just converted VC6 project that compiles ok into VC2008 and tried to
> compile. The error was what i got. However due to the complexity of
> the external library i have used (ACE), the macro might be redefined
> somewhere else.

I had a look into ACE (5.6.2) and this macro defined only once
(ace/config-macros.h). I suspect it is a MSVC6 issue.

Michael