Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > internet watch foundation

internet watch foundation

Mike Easter

concerned adult USA citizen wrote:
> I have learned that the news service I use, newsguy.com, has been
> dropping various binaries groups

> What are you gonna do about it?

Let me see if I'm into your post crystal clear.

Your newsservice is dropping some groups and you want to know what /I'm/
going to do about it -- or what /we/ are going to do about it.

If /I/ want newsgroups one newsserver doesn't carry, I get those groups
from a different newsserver; I'm completely confused about why you want
someone else to do something about /your/ possible problem.

If you are trying to access kp kiddieporn, you should do so very very
carefully or you will be in jail for a very long time. And, then when
you finally get out, if you do, there won't be anyplace where you will
be allowed to live.

--
Mike Easter

VanguardLH

"concerned adult USA citizen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have learned that the news service I use, newsguy.com, has been
> dropping
> various binaries groups based upon the fact that the watchdog
> organization known
> as intnernet watch foundation (IWF) has told them the group contains
> child
> pornography.

<snip>

So instead of advocating the abolishment of censorship, why aren't you
advocating that all newsgroup providers demand that a *valid*
NNTP-Post-Host header be specified in every post. If missing, that
post doesn't proliferate to other NNTP server and has limited
visibility only on the NNTP to which the poster submitted and for
which its NNTP administrator can track down who posted it. Why aren't
you advocating that all NNTP servers require the user to login rather
than permitting anonymous connections? Also, all nym posters would
get blocked.

If Usenet got rid of letting posters hide and refused to let propagate
any posts from those hiding posters then those posters would
understand that they can be held legally responsible for what they
post. Bright light and discovery gets rid of a lot of vermin. Yeah,
there are those that argue that anonymous posting is a right in
Usenet, as though Usenet would suddenly disappear if anonymity were
banned. They forget how Usenet started, its intent, and its original
community. We have pest posts in Usenet because NNTP was designed on
trust. We have spam because SMTP was designed on trust. See what
happens when you trust the average boob enabled by technology to have
a worldwide voice without responsibility.

VanguardLH

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:47c39bd8$0$222$(E-Mail Removed)...
> concerned adult USA citizen wrote:
>>
>> I don't know about you, but I'm not about to sit still and let some
>> bloody bloke
>> from a foreign country tell me what it is I can't view if I want
>> to. The last

> Last time in France, there was an info commercial on re:
>
> "the Vagina Designer"
>
> Each govt. can make their own rules. Live with them or move...

Ahem.
IWF is a bunch of brits on a self-appointed committed (like various
religious or morality groups self-create their groups).
newsguy.com's registrant is in the USA.
So a USA provider is bowing to pressure from a group of brits.
More likely newsguy agrees with IWF and maybe they even help support
or fund the IWF.

Where did you get the impression that IWF was a governmental entity?
Working with the police and government doesn't make you the police or
government. Hospitals report gun-shot wounds to the police. Doesn't
make the hospital into a branch of the police.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Watch_Foundation)
IWF is funded by the EU. You do know what is the purpose of EU,
right?

Don't know why they targeted newsguy unless they are running out of
US-based information services to harass. I don't use newsguy but have
to wonder why the OP didn't bother to ask newsguy why newsguy *chose*
to follow IWF's guidelines or requests. Seems like a voluntary choice
by newsguy.

So where did you plan on moving?

richard

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 23:43:32 -0600, "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"concerned adult USA citizen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have learned that the news service I use, newsguy.com, has been
>> dropping
>> various binaries groups based upon the fact that the watchdog
>> organization known
>> as intnernet watch foundation (IWF) has told them the group contains
>> child
>> pornography.

><snip>
>
>So instead of advocating the abolishment of censorship, why aren't you
>advocating that all newsgroup providers demand that a *valid*
>NNTP-Post-Host header be specified in every post. If missing, that
>post doesn't proliferate to other NNTP server and has limited
>visibility only on the NNTP to which the poster submitted and for
>which its NNTP administrator can track down who posted it. Why aren't
>you advocating that all NNTP servers require the user to login rather
>than permitting anonymous connections? Also, all nym posters would
>get blocked.
>
>If Usenet got rid of letting posters hide and refused to let propagate
>any posts from those hiding posters then those posters would
>understand that they can be held legally responsible for what they
>post. Bright light and discovery gets rid of a lot of vermin. Yeah,
>there are those that argue that anonymous posting is a right in
>Usenet, as though Usenet would suddenly disappear if anonymity were
>banned. They forget how Usenet started, its intent, and its original
>community. We have pest posts in Usenet because NNTP was designed on
>trust. We have spam because SMTP was designed on trust. See what
>happens when you trust the average boob enabled by technology to have
>a worldwide voice without responsibility.

Actually, the message ID is more precise to finding YOU.
There is a code built into it that will practically give codebreakers
your home address.
I know that the first 5 characters are the server you posted through.

Usenet was born in an attempt to communicate between two totally
different networks as well as machines.

--

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Mark Twain(attributed)

Whiskers

[...]

I don't know where that idea originated, but it's total *******s.

> Usenet was born in an attempt to communicate between two totally
> different networks as well as machines.

Nope. Wrong again:-

..-----<http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/software/part1/>

'-----

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

G. Morgan

richard the St00pid wrote:

>Actually, the message ID is more precise to finding YOU.
>There is a code built into it that will practically give codebreakers
>your home address.
>I know that the first 5 characters are the server you posted through.

You sure don't mind throwing stuff out there for which you have zero knowledge
of, huh? I can make my message-id anything I want it to be. In my case I use
an MD5 hash based on the system time. The message ID can originate at the
client side and be preloaded - or left up to the server to stamp (in which case
it's up to the server operator to make up the syntax).

>Usenet was born in an attempt to communicate between two totally
>different networks as well as machines.

Yawn. Did you take two st00pid pills today?

--

I kill all Google Group posts, you can too.
Take back Usenet <--> http://improve-usenet.org

Blinky the Shark

G.Morgan wrote:

> richard the St00pid wrote:
>

>>Actually, the message ID is more precise to finding YOU.
>>There is a code built into it that will practically give codebreakers
>>your home address.
>>I know that the first 5 characters are the server you posted through.

> You sure don't mind throwing stuff out there for which you have zero knowledge
> of, huh? I can make my message-id anything I want it to be. In my case I use
> an MD5 hash based on the system time. The message ID can originate at the
> client side and be preloaded - or left up to the server to stamp (in which case
> it's up to the server operator to make up the syntax).
>
>>Usenet was born in an attempt to communicate between two totally
>>different networks as well as machines.

> Yawn. Did you take two st00pid pills today?

I see no evidence that he's reduced his dosage.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

G. Morgan

G. Morgan wrote:

>richard the St00pid wrote:
>

>>Actually, the message ID is more precise to finding YOU.
>>There is a code built into it that will practically give codebreakers
>>your home address.
>>I know that the first 5 characters are the server you posted through.

>You sure don't mind throwing stuff out there for which you have zero knowledge
>of, huh? I can make my message-id anything I want it to be. In my case I use
>an MD5 hash based on the system time. The message ID can originate at the
>client side and be preloaded - or left up to the server to stamp (in which case
>it's up to the server operator to make up the syntax).
>
>>Usenet was born in an attempt to communicate between two totally
>>different networks as well as machines.

>Yawn. Did you take two st00pid pills today?

Hey RtS... Look at the MID of the one I'm replying to. That must mean I work
for the DEA division 36!

--

Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> Yawn. Did you take two st00pid pills today?

>I see no evidence that he's reduced his dosage.

Nope I think he's doubling up.

--

G.Morgan wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>>> Yawn. Did you take two st00pid pills today?

>>I see no evidence that he's reduced his dosage.

> Nope I think he's doubling up.

Cheaper by the dozen.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Netscape Internet Foundation Classes Cycloneous Echevarria Java 0 02-16-2005 06:15 PM
Anyone with old Foundation? Zak VHDL 0 10-23-2003 05:03 AM
ISE Foundation 4.1i compatibility Davo VHDL 0 08-19-2003 05:53 PM
Conversion ALDEC Foundation to Webpack ISE 4.2 and later Thomas Bartzick VHDL 0 06-26-2003 07:51 AM

Advertisments