Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Flash alternatives for Minlta Dimage Z5

Flash alternatives for Minlta Dimage Z5

Merlin the Mystic

I bought a Z5 just a little while before Minolta announced they were
stopping camera production. Perfect timing! It was at a nice price
however and overall it performs well. However the built in flash is
useless beyond ~3m. So I'm looking for a flash gun, the Z5 has a shoe
for the purpose. Then I saw the prices and gulped, the flash guns
(Minolta and Sony) are 2 or 3 times more expensive than the camera was!

I see that Sigma an Metz also produce "compatible" guns:
http://photoclubalpha.com/2007/06/12...dslrs/#more-73
however these are not cheap either.

I even started thinking about buying a new camera because it had a
cheaper flash (eg Canon SX 10is) but then I thought a slave flash might
be a reasonable alternative with the Z5.

Has anyone any experience to offer, please, or suggestions about a
reasonably priced flash?

Thanks
Merl

Clark Martin

In article <2008022522241016807-Merlin@theCourtofKingArthur>,
Merlin the Mystic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I bought a Z5 just a little while before Minolta announced they were
> stopping camera production. Perfect timing! It was at a nice price
> however and overall it performs well. However the built in flash is
> useless beyond ~3m. So I'm looking for a flash gun, the Z5 has a shoe
> for the purpose. Then I saw the prices and gulped, the flash guns
> (Minolta and Sony) are 2 or 3 times more expensive than the camera was!
>
> I see that Sigma an Metz also produce "compatible" guns:
> http://photoclubalpha.com/2007/06/12...-dslrs/#more-7
> 3
> however these are not cheap either.
>
> I even started thinking about buying a new camera because it had a
> cheaper flash (eg Canon SX 10is) but then I thought a slave flash might
> be a reasonable alternative with the Z5.
>
> Has anyone any experience to offer, please, or suggestions about a
> reasonably priced flash?

I have a Z5 and bought a Sigma EF-500 DG ST I- TTL for it. IIRC it
caused $165 from <http://47stphoto.com>. It is indeed a big improvement
on the built in flash. I don't know of any camera's built in flash that
can compare to a comparable external flash.

The Sigma works quite well. It has lots of power but I wouldn't mind
more (see my use below). In shooting indoors while bouncing off the
walls or ceiling it does a good job of providing even illumination. The
flash head has a zoom mechanism that automatically syncs with the camera
to concentrate the light when zooming in.

Sigma makes two models of flash, the ST and the Super. The model I
bought, the ST is cheaper. I don't recall what the difference is but I
do remember that when I was comparing them it didn't matter.

I did use a slave flash till I broke my old flash unit. I never got
particularly good results with it. For one thing just setting it up in
the dark, and putting it on a separate tripod caused lots of trouble.
My primary interest is in night photography of trains. They tend to
move so aiming the camera and a slave flash is a bit tricky. I think
the biggest problem was that my little flash simply didn't trigger the
slave reliably unless I placed the slave ahead of the camera and just
out of view. But that again made for tricky shooting of a moving train.
I might at sometime try one or more slave flash units in concert with
the Sigma. They shouldn't be as much trouble as the Sigma will be
providing the bulk of the light and it should have enough power to
trigger the slave(s) by bouncing off the subject.

One problem I've had is that many of the train engines and cars I shoot
have retroreflective decals on them. This reduces the amount of light
the flash puts out. I've taken to shooting them using full manual.

--
Clark Martin

ray

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 22:24:10 +0100, Merlin the Mystic wrote:

> I bought a Z5 just a little while before Minolta announced they were
> stopping camera production. Perfect timing! It was at a nice price
> however and overall it performs well. However the built in flash is
> useless beyond ~3m. So I'm looking for a flash gun, the Z5 has a shoe
> for the purpose. Then I saw the prices and gulped, the flash guns
> (Minolta and Sony) are 2 or 3 times more expensive than the camera was!
>
> I see that Sigma an Metz also produce "compatible" guns:
> http://photoclubalpha.com/2007/06/12...e-alpha-dslrs/

#more-73
> however these are not cheap either.
>
> I even started thinking about buying a new camera because it had a
> cheaper flash (eg Canon SX 10is) but then I thought a slave flash might
> be a reasonable alternative with the Z5.
>
> Has anyone any experience to offer, please, or suggestions about a
> reasonably priced flash?
>
> Thanks
> Merl

FWIW - Faced with a similar situation several years ago after I got my
Kodak DC210+ (yes, I said it was several years ago) - I purchased a
hotshoe slave and attached the old flash unit from my film SLR - worked
quite nicely - I don't really understand why you need the latest and
geatest.

Merlin the Mystic

On 2008-02-26 02:58:23 +0100, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
> FWIW - Faced with a similar situation several years ago after I got my
> Kodak DC210+ (yes, I said it was several years ago) - I purchased a
> hotshoe slave and attached the old flash unit from my film SLR - worked
> quite nicely - I don't really understand why you need the latest and
> geatest.

That's an interesting option, I have a Canon Speedlite (?) which gets
no use these days and I woud e happy to press it into service. However
the tricky bit is getting varying degrees of sync and integration with
the camera. You mention a hotshoe slave: I imagine that this is some
sort of "converter" between camera A and flash B, can you tell me any
more about it please?

Thanks

Merl

Merlin the Mystic

On 2008-02-26 01:46:55 +0100, Clark Martin <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I have a Z5 and bought a Sigma EF-500 DG ST I- TTL for it. IIRC it
> caused $165 from <http://47stphoto.com>. It is indeed a big improvement
> on the built in flash. I don't know of any camera's built in flash that
> can compare to a comparable external flash.

Thank yo for your recommendation. I have looked around here (I'm in
Holland) and only the 530 seems to be available. I'll keep looking!

Merl

Chris Malcolm

Merlin the Mystic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2008-02-26 02:58:23 +0100, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> FWIW - Faced with a similar situation several years ago after I got my
>> Kodak DC210+ (yes, I said it was several years ago) - I purchased a
>> hotshoe slave and attached the old flash unit from my film SLR - worked
>> quite nicely - I don't really understand why you need the latest and
>> geatest.

> That's an interesting option, I have a Canon Speedlite (?) which gets
> no use these days and I woud e happy to press it into service. However
> the tricky bit is getting varying degrees of sync and integration with
> the camera. You mention a hotshoe slave: I imagine that this is some
> sort of "converter" between camera A and flash B, can you tell me any
> more about it please?

There are lots of convertors of various degrees of sophistication and
cost, very specific to specific camera and flash unit.

But the simplest and cheapest is simply no conversion, just triggering
the flash. You then have two options. The oldest is full manual
control where you do the syncing yourself using flash guide number
calculations amd set both camera and flash up fully manually.

However, even very old flashes these days usually have an auto mode
which uses their own sensor to deliver a flash power correct for a
given aperture and ISO by measuring the reflected power and cutting
the pulse when they've seen enough. So you use the camera in fixed ISO
and aperture priority and the flash auto function does the
syncing. All they then need for connection between them is a PC cable
or a shoe-to-PC convertor if their shoes aren't compatible.

--
Chris Malcolm http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Roy G

"Chris Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Merlin the Mystic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2008-02-26 02:58:23 +0100, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>> FWIW - Faced with a similar situation several years ago after I got my
>>> Kodak DC210+ (yes, I said it was several years ago) - I purchased a
>>> hotshoe slave and attached the old flash unit from my film SLR - worked
>>> quite nicely - I don't really understand why you need the latest and
>>> geatest.

>> That's an interesting option, I have a Canon Speedlite (?) which gets
>> no use these days and I woud e happy to press it into service. However
>> the tricky bit is getting varying degrees of sync and integration with
>> the camera. You mention a hotshoe slave: I imagine that this is some
>> sort of "converter" between camera A and flash B, can you tell me any
>> more about it please?

> There are lots of convertors of various degrees of sophistication and
> cost, very specific to specific camera and flash unit.
>
> But the simplest and cheapest is simply no conversion, just triggering
> the flash. You then have two options. The oldest is full manual
> control where you do the syncing yourself using flash guide number
> calculations amd set both camera and flash up fully manually.
>
> However, even very old flashes these days usually have an auto mode
> which uses their own sensor to deliver a flash power correct for a
> given aperture and ISO by measuring the reflected power and cutting
> the pulse when they've seen enough. So you use the camera in fixed ISO
> and aperture priority and the flash auto function does the
> syncing. All they then need for connection between them is a PC cable
> or a shoe-to-PC convertor if their shoes aren't compatible.
>
> --
> Chris Malcolm (E-Mail Removed) DoD #205
> IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
> [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Hi.

Do be aware that connecting an older Flash to a Modern Camera by cable might
well fry the Camera's Circuits, because some of those Flashes can have 300
volts in the Trigger Circuit.

A little cheap radio Synchroniser would be safe, and do the job better than
an optical slave.

Roy G

ray

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:12:08 +0100, Merlin the Mystic wrote:

> On 2008-02-26 02:58:23 +0100, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>> FWIW - Faced with a similar situation several years ago after I got my
>> Kodak DC210+ (yes, I said it was several years ago) - I purchased a
>> hotshoe slave and attached the old flash unit from my film SLR - worked
>> quite nicely - I don't really understand why you need the latest and
>> geatest.

> That's an interesting option, I have a Canon Speedlite (?) which gets no
> use these days and I woud e happy to press it into service. However the
> tricky bit is getting varying degrees of sync and integration with the
> camera. You mention a hotshoe slave: I imagine that this is some sort
> of "converter" between camera A and flash B, can you tell me any more
> about it please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Merl

It is a hotshoe which attaches to the bottom of the flash unit. It senses
the light when the camera flash fires and fires the flash attached to it.
Works quite well - was not terribly expensive - as I recall less than $20
or so.

Stephen Henning

Merlin the Mystic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I bought a Z5 just a little while before Minolta announced they were
> stopping camera production. Perfect timing! It was at a nice price
> however and overall it performs well. However the built in flash is
> useless beyond ~3m. So I'm looking for a flash gun, the Z5 has a shoe
> for the purpose. Then I saw the prices and gulped, the flash guns
> (Minolta and Sony) are 2 or 3 times more expensive than the camera was!
>
> I even started thinking about buying a new camera because it had a
> cheaper flash (eg Canon SX 10is) but then I thought a slave flash might
> be a reasonable alternative with the Z5.
>
> Has anyone any experience to offer, please, or suggestions about a
> reasonably priced flash?

Hi Merl,

I have a Z5 and love it. I used it on safari in Africa and got some
unbelievable wildlife photos. The British Minolta/Sony magazine
published some of them.

I also agree that the internal flash is only good for driving a slave
flash. I totally ignore the internal flash for most shots and use an
external flash:

Sunpak PZ40X II (MX) which has the Minolta ADI system compatibility. It
is very compact and uses 2 AA cells. I use MNiH cells in both the flash
and the camera. I got mine from B&H.

I take a lot of flower macro photography and in bright sunlight I will
set the flash to always be on so that I get fill flash. It works very
well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...40M2_PZ40X_II_
AF_TTL.html

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to (E-Mail Removed)
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA - http://rhodyman.net

Clark Martin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Stephen Henning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I also agree that the internal flash is only good for driving a slave
> flash. I totally ignore the internal flash for most shots and use an
> external flash:

The internal flash does have another use. Using it for fill flash can
make a big difference in some circumstances. I haven't been using it
much but I want to do it more. I've been reminded about it from time to
time when seeing other's pictures.

--
Clark Martin