Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Need advice on buying a VOIP router

Reply
Thread Tools

Need advice on buying a VOIP router

 
 
jonathansbackup@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2008
I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the PC switched
off.

I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to be available via
Sipgate but I get the impression it's no longer in production, I'm
sure I could get one, but I am wondering if there is anything newer
that might be better and cheaper.

I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one desktop computer
and so need a router purely so I can use Sipgate VOIP when the
computer is switched off - I want to connect my home phones to the
router.

I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need some pointers
to a router suitable for this relatively simple purpose. It would need
to be a well known brand with decent support.

Any suggestions please.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Al
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2008

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the PC switched
> off.
>
> I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to be available via
> Sipgate but I get the impression it's no longer in production, I'm
> sure I could get one, but I am wondering if there is anything newer
> that might be better and cheaper.
>
> I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one desktop computer
> and so need a router purely so I can use Sipgate VOIP when the
> computer is switched off - I want to connect my home phones to the
> router.
>
> I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need some pointers
> to a router suitable for this relatively simple purpose. It would need
> to be a well known brand with decent support.
>
> Any suggestions please.




Draytek 2100 is my choice and have had one for 2 years at home.
Has one FXS VoIP port but allows the connection of 3 SIP accounts with
latest firmware.
Have used various Draytek for other SIP connections I have installed with no
hassle.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul G
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-25-2008

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the PC switched
> off.
>
> I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to be available via
> Sipgate but I get the impression it's no longer in production, I'm
> sure I could get one, but I am wondering if there is anything newer
> that might be better and cheaper.
>
> I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one desktop computer
> and so need a router purely so I can use Sipgate VOIP when the
> computer is switched off - I want to connect my home phones to the
> router.
>
> I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need some pointers
> to a router suitable for this relatively simple purpose. It would need
> to be a well known brand with decent support.
>
> Any suggestions please.


Do you need to go for the expense of a whole router? Assuming you already
have a router on your cable connection, you could just get an adaptor such
as a Linksys PAP2 (broadbandbuyer.co.uk 31) and plug it into your
existing router.

Alternateively if it is a router you need then i'd recommend any of the
Draytek ones with VOIP but they aren't cheap

Paul


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ivor Jones
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2008


<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
: : I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the
: : PC switched off.
: :
: : I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to
: : be available via Sipgate but I get the impression it's
: : no longer in production, I'm sure I could get one, but
: : I am wondering if there is anything newer that might be
: : better and cheaper.
: :
: : I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one
: : desktop computer and so need a router purely so I can
: : use Sipgate VOIP when the computer is switched off - I
: : want to connect my home phones to the router.
: :
: : I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need
: : some pointers to a router suitable for this relatively
: : simple purpose. It would need to be a well known brand
: : with decent support.
: :
: : Any suggestions please.

I can recommend the Fritz!Box range from AVM (www.avm.de/en) but they're
not cheap. 2 or 3 phone ports, depending on model, plus wireless if
required.

However, if you only need an ATA to plug into an existing router, then
something like the Linksys PAP2 with 2 phone ports would be suitable.


Ivor

 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordon Henderson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2008
In article <FnHwj.111029$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Al <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the PC switched
>> off.
>>
>> I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to be available via
>> Sipgate but I get the impression it's no longer in production, I'm
>> sure I could get one, but I am wondering if there is anything newer
>> that might be better and cheaper.
>>
>> I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one desktop computer
>> and so need a router purely so I can use Sipgate VOIP when the
>> computer is switched off - I want to connect my home phones to the
>> router.
>>
>> I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need some pointers
>> to a router suitable for this relatively simple purpose. It would need
>> to be a well known brand with decent support.
>>
>> Any suggestions please.

>
>
>
>Draytek 2100 is my choice and have had one for 2 years at home.
>Has one FXS VoIP port but allows the connection of 3 SIP accounts with
>latest firmware.
>Have used various Draytek for other SIP connections I have installed with no
>hassle.


I've installed a log of Draytek routers over the years, but have sort of
gone off them recently. I found some serious NAT issues in them that
stopped a simple port-forwarding to work, and trying to use DMZ hosts
and NAT/port forwarding was a real problem too. Shame as they are
feature-rich (but maybe that's their problem!)

I'm looking at Zyxel boxes now, but not really made my mind up yet...

Gordon
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2008
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 02:13:37 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>: : I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the
>: : PC switched off.
>: :
>: : I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to
>: : be available via Sipgate but I get the impression it's
>: : no longer in production, I'm sure I could get one, but
>: : I am wondering if there is anything newer that might be
>: : better and cheaper.
>: :
>: : I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one
>: : desktop computer and so need a router purely so I can
>: : use Sipgate VOIP when the computer is switched off - I
>: : want to connect my home phones to the router.
>: :
>: : I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need
>: : some pointers to a router suitable for this relatively
>: : simple purpose. It would need to be a well known brand
>: : with decent support.
>: :
>: : Any suggestions please.
>
>I can recommend the Fritz!Box range from AVM (www.avm.de/en) but they're
>not cheap. 2 or 3 phone ports, depending on model, plus wireless if
>required.
>
>However, if you only need an ATA to plug into an existing router, then
>something like the Linksys PAP2 with 2 phone ports would be suitable.
>
>
>Ivor

An earlier post suggested buying a PAP2 if you already have a suitable
router. I agree that this is a good option. I would advise that you
buy a new one and don't go for an iffy ebay second hand one, also make
sure what you buy is unlocked.
Out of the same stable, take a look at the Linksys 3102.
There is a product, the Linksys WRP400, that is new to me, so I can't
comment on it except that, being Linksys, I find it interesting and I
would be interested in comments from anyone who has used one.
There is a similar device with an ADSL moden built in also. The WRP400
is particularly attractive because it has 2 lines and sells at a
relatively good price (56)
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=5200
Personally, I MUCH prefer the dial plan system of the Linksys devices
to that of the Fritzbox. The Fritzbox does have a simpler set up but
the end experience, for the person using the phone, is much more user
friendly with the Linksys dial plan system.



---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pacman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2008

>>: : Any suggestions please.
>>
>>I can recommend the Fritz!Box range from AVM (www.avm.de/en) but they're
>>not cheap. 2 or 3 phone ports, depending on model, plus wireless if
>>required.
>>
>>However, if you only need an ATA to plug into an existing router, then
>>something like the Linksys PAP2 with 2 phone ports would be suitable.
>>
>>
>>Ivor

> An earlier post suggested buying a PAP2 if you already have a suitable
> router. I agree that this is a good option. I would advise that you
> buy a new one and don't go for an iffy ebay second hand one, also make
> sure what you buy is unlocked.
> Out of the same stable, take a look at the Linksys 3102.
> There is a product, the Linksys WRP400, that is new to me, so I can't
> comment on it except that, being Linksys, I find it interesting and I
> would be interested in comments from anyone who has used one.
> There is a similar device with an ADSL moden built in also. The WRP400
> is particularly attractive because it has 2 lines and sells at a
> relatively good price (56)
> http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=5200
> Personally, I MUCH prefer the dial plan system of the Linksys devices
> to that of the Fritzbox. The Fritzbox does have a simpler set up but
> the end experience, for the person using the phone, is much more user
> friendly with the Linksys dial plan system.
>
>


I would go for the FritzBox as well. (To be honest I have no experience with
the other devices mentioned above)
FritzBox works even behind another Router when configured as simple network
device. FB 7170 has 3 phone connectors and I have now 8 phone numbers active
(also some Sipgate).
http://www.avm.de/de/Produkte/FRITZB...LAN/index.html
(sorry German only )

FritzBox VoIP Fon WLAN 7170 (150 Euros) is now to be replaced by the newer
7270 (195 Euros) model.

regards, P

--
www.davidata.net/?uk.telecom.voip


 
Reply With Quote
 
Grumpy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2008
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I need a router so I can use VOIP via Sipgate with the PC switched
> off.
>
> I'd been looking at the Netgear TA612V which seems to be available via
> Sipgate but I get the impression it's no longer in production, I'm
> sure I could get one, but I am wondering if there is anything newer
> that might be better and cheaper.
>
> I have a Virgin cable broadband connection and one desktop computer
> and so need a router purely so I can use Sipgate VOIP when the
> computer is switched off - I want to connect my home phones to the
> router.
>
> I don't have any sophisticated requirements - just need some pointers
> to a router suitable for this relatively simple purpose. It would need
> to be a well known brand with decent support.
>
> Any suggestions please.



Linksys spa3102 ata has a built in router.
 
Reply With Quote
 
jonathansbackup@googlemail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2008
Thanks for those replies.

In the end I have ordered the Netgear TA612V from Sipgate as I have
not got a router at the moment - at least if I buy it from them
they'll help me set it up if need be or maybe it will be pre-set-up to
some degree!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Nick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-26-2008

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for those replies.
>
> In the end I have ordered the Netgear TA612V from Sipgate as I have
> not got a router at the moment - at least if I buy it from them
> they'll help me set it up if need be or maybe it will be pre-set-up to
> some degree!
>


You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink,


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VoIP phones vs. VoIP WiFi phones vs. 'regular' phones on VoIP router joseph UK VOIP 3 12-29-2005 06:48 PM



Advertisments